PDA

View Full Version : Turbo with si engine or turbo with swap

Go_EP_Go
09-23-2003, 10:35 AM
ok i dont have much cash flow coming my way but i get by but in the NEAR FUTURE im thinking of putting turbo in my ep but is it good just to turbocharge the si engine or should i just wait it out a lil longer and do a swap before hand?

- kevin

NamingException
09-23-2003, 11:03 AM
Generally I think people are either sticking with the K20A3 and giving it some FI, or going the swap route and staying NA. The lower compression of the K20A3 is friendly to boost. My vague plans involve a K20A2 cylinder head, keeping the K20A3 bottom, and turboing the frankenstein. Seems like the best of both worlds. Or you could swap the engine and put some lower compression pistons in, then turbo that, which would also be pretty ideal. There's a lot of different routes you could take, all depending on how much power you want and how much money you're willing to spend.

Go_EP_Go
09-23-2003, 11:11 AM
wowsers thanks for the info very helpful

any other suggestions?

87gn
09-23-2003, 11:21 AM
low compression pistons;)

Rey
09-23-2003, 06:26 PM
forged rods
titanium retainers
titanium valve springs
lower compression pistons
stronger gaskets
Upgraded axels
Stronger Clutch
Upgraded injectors, maybe fuel rail and pump too
Voiding every warrenty on your car
yada yada yada........

I am going to either do an K20A or A2 swap and get the toda kit for it. Turbos are nice and all, but they need a lot of maintainence.

If this is your daily driver, I'd do a swap. If this is your fun car and you have an old Geo as your daily, go for the turbo.

You will get more respect from everyone with a turbo, but K20A swap will make you the talk of the town here at ephatch.com. Most people in the racing scene don't get or know about our engines. I can't stand people asking if I got a B16 in my hatch. ARGH!

TheMutt
09-23-2003, 07:38 PM
Originally posted by Rey
I can't stand people asking if I got a B16 in my hatch. ARGH!
LMAO!!! What bugs me is when people start trying to preach to me about how my vtec is awesome once I hit higher RPMs. What's it take to beat it into other people that we know more about our cars than they do? A b16 though... heh kick them in the shin for me. We should make it a thread.

Wait back on topic... Swapping in an a2 is like having the RSX-s motor, and we see people boosting those without hesitation. In fact, it seems to work pretty well. Not saying it's better than boosting ours, but it probably is.

Mugen_EP
09-23-2003, 07:48 PM
I was thinking the same thing you are but a couple things changed my mind. Everytime I checked times and dyno sheets on basic turbo Type S's and EP's I noticed a very slight difference. Not worth the trouble of swapping out motors and turboing. Think about it this way, you know where your motor has been and the abuse you have put it through. Keep it and boost it.

Here is one example of the slight differences I described above.

Per RevHard's own site.

RSX Type S @ 6 psi
254 whp / 199 lb/ft
http://revhard.com/pics/dynosheets/RSX6PSI1a.JPG

EP @ 7 psi
252.7 whp / 228.6 ft/lbs
http://revhard.com/pics/dynosheets/03sidyno1.jpg

Hope this helps in your difficult solution.

Go_EP_Go
09-23-2003, 08:15 PM
thanks mugen_ep those dyno sheets were useful...suprising how the ep's max torque is higher then the type s'

vivid_SI_blue
09-23-2003, 09:23 PM
I'm waiting for the cybernation turbo kit, if there is one?:cool:

the JigGa mAn
09-23-2003, 11:12 PM
holy shit you see the torque on the si boosted??? thats my route right there....think if i did a type S head swap it would make diff?

**edit: i wonder what the 1/4 mile times are for both cars and who would win head 2 head**

StrangeShadow
09-23-2003, 11:25 PM
Originally posted by vivid_SI_blue
I'm waiting for the cybernation turbo kit, if there is one?:cool:
umm...there are 4 different stages of the cn turbo kit.

I was thinking the same thing you are but a couple things changed my mind. Everytime I checked times and dyno sheets on basic turbo Type S's and EP's I noticed a very slight difference. Not worth the trouble of swapping out motors and turboing. Think about it this way, you know where your motor has been and the abuse you have put it through. Keep it and boost it.

Here is one example of the slight differences I described above.

Per RevHard's own site.

RSX Type S @ 6 psi
254 whp / 199 lb/ft

I think you should take this into mind...
BUT remember this was most likely done the U.S. way hehe...check out your current mags on the news-stands...I have seen tons of jdm itr's(dcr5) w/400-500whp already...and this is only the beginning...I know that black/white one w/wolf graphics is on one of the covers...but look into that, I personally think a k2 w/turbo is about the same as a k3 w/turbo BUT the k2 w/turbo can be made to be much better...