PDA

View Full Version : Solution to raer sway bar+exhaust rattle?

greenguy
09-23-2003, 08:40 PM
Well I knew that my progress rear sway bar was going to rattle:( on my Borla exhaust, so now its time to fix it.
I know it will probally be gehtto for now, but I have put a hose clamp around both pieces, and it only vibrates at idle. I am thinking of header wrap to act as a cushon then use the hose clamp to keep vibrations to a minimum.
Does any one think that the two pieces conected will cause a problem? I figure that since the exhaust hangers are rubber and have play in them that it really shoudnt be...but:o
thanks one and all!:)

Dunrick
09-23-2003, 09:21 PM
Great I got a progress rear sway bar coming in the mail and borla exhaust hahah

I'll try some bubble gum or something. Mcguiver who?

greenguy
09-24-2003, 07:05 AM
Originally posted by Dunrick
Great I got a progress rear sway bar coming in the mail and borla exhaust hahah

I'll try some bubble gum or something. Mcguiver who?
Remember it gets hot, real hot!
I first tried using exhaust repair wrap but since I didnt use the curing gell that comes in the fit, the stuff just burnt and smelled real bad.:(

Dunrick
09-24-2003, 07:41 AM
Let me know how the header wrap goes. I would think it would be better to work w/ the sway bar more than the exhaust...Since its the exhaust that gets really hot. Not the sway bar so much.

mikkellucci
09-24-2003, 07:56 AM
I have the Bolra exhaust and the rsx rear sway. They hit when I go over BIG bumps.. Normail driving its fine, but a decent bump in the road clangs the pipe on the sway bar. Soooooooo annoying!! I have thought about the header wrap, but have not tried it yet.
Any other ideas out there?????????

02SilverSiHB
09-24-2003, 11:09 AM
I know this isn't much of any help, but if any of you have the problem of the sway hitting and want a permanent fix, you can get the comptech sway which was made to avoid this:Edit, wrong pic, here's the right ones
http://a7.cpimg.com/image/3B/22/23245627-0ef8-02000180-.jpg

hard to tell maybe, but it's designed to avoid hitting the piping like some exhaust may.

Dunrick
09-24-2003, 11:20 AM
Too late jerk!!!

j/p. Cool, comptech makes quality stuff..

I'll just McGuiver the progress rear sway, since its on its way to my hisouse!

TrafficJamsEp
09-24-2003, 12:44 PM
I had the same problem but it only rattled at idle. I ended up using two OE rubber hangers on each of the muffler's mounting hooks and it took care of the problem. Note: Push the original hangers as far back as possible then slip on the new ones and tie wrap them together. Worked for me!!

fsugatorbait
09-24-2003, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by TrafficJamsEp
I had the same problem but it only rattled at idle. I ended up using two OE rubber hangers on each of the muffler's mounting hooks and it took care of the problem. Note: Push the original hangers as far back as possible then slip on the new ones and tie wrap them together. Worked for me!!

I used this same exact method this weekend to keep my EVO and Neuspeed bar from 'doin a little bump n' grind' :*. Worked like a charm, before I would get the rattle noise about 20 times a day, since I havent heard it once. A cheap and easy fix. :D

irrational
09-24-2003, 02:53 PM

dammit. i should have done that. i took the expensive route and said fuck it! i just bought a new exhaust. i got the magnaflow off of ebay for 305 shipped. it appears to be the only exhaust that does not hit the progress rear set-up.

greenguy
09-24-2003, 05:16 PM
Do you have a pic? I think I understand, but you know how a picture is worth a...well you know.:confused:

Dunrick
09-26-2003, 09:45 PM
Just installed mine. Its more of a CLUNK when it hits the exhaust. Can you guys verify that? It doesn't rattle. Just a clunk or fairly big bumps....

WOW does the car feel a lot stiffer!!! so cool!

glw
09-27-2003, 12:05 PM
I had the same problem but it only rattled at idle. I ended up using two OE rubber hangers on each of the muffler's mounting hooks and it took care of the problem. Note: Push the original hangers as far back as possible then slip on the new ones and tie wrap them together. Worked for me!! Nice avatar! :D I made it myself so that I could be recognized on the boards and would appreciate you using a different one... Thanks.