PDA

View Full Version : No big deal

danoonez
09-26-2003, 12:21 AM
I have a question about a sound that I'm hearing. It's not a big deal though and I'm not worried about it either cause it seems perfectly normal; I was just wondering if there were any car nuts out there who would know whats making the sound, just cause I'm interested...When ever I cruise through a parking lot or something and I just leave it in first but then I let off the gas and that nasty-ass engine braking kicks in and I let it get down to about 1500-2000 rpm and then put the clutch in it makes a clicking sound(kinda like the slight click from a gear engagement). Its not hard to avoid all you have to do is step on the gas a little before/as you put the clutch in. I was just wondering if anybody actually knew why it makes that sound.

sleepin02si
11-15-2003, 09:15 PM
This happens to me, too. It also causes a small vibration in the wheel when it happens to me. I was wondering if I should have it looked at. I guess not.

Brettnyt
11-15-2003, 09:32 PM
Im not sure i know what sound you are talking about, but i know that when the clutch is pressed at a low speed, stress is removed from the engine damper so the engine kicks back to idle position... I normally notice it when i push the clutch while going up hills at low speeds... IE, driveways...

sleepin02si
11-15-2003, 10:44 PM
I notice it during stop and go traffic. When I press in the clutch after winding down 1st, I get what almost feels like a very mild clunk in the pedal and wheel. It sometimes happens when I am not able to fully engauge 1st from a stop(strat then stop before clutch is completely out in 1st. It is not a major vibration, but it just sounds bad to me.

Peking
11-16-2003, 06:10 AM
Originally posted by Brettnyt
Im not sure i know what sound you are talking about, but i know that when the clutch is pressed at a low speed, stress is removed from the engine damper so the engine kicks back to idle position... I normally notice it when i push the clutch while going up hills at low speeds... IE, driveways...

I have never encountered such a sound (than again mybe I don't notice). Then again when I ride with my friend in his Type-S, he is much harder on the clutch (and gears) than I am. I feel and hear much different things in his ride. Mybe you need to use more clutch, and sift slower to have a smooth engagement. Then again it would be much easier if we could hear it in person :D

labelhunter
11-16-2003, 06:24 AM
Just give it alittle gas before you engage the clutch. I know the sound/feel your getting. It only does it in low first and second but in first its worse. I wonder if its causing stress to anything.

Brettnyt
11-16-2003, 12:07 PM
The reason we get that sound is because to go up those hills we need to use our torque, so as the engine utilizes its torque, the engine damper acts as a shock and absorbs some of the stress on the chassis (from our massive torque...) When we push the clutch in, there is no more any need for the torque, as there is nothin to apply it towards (no drivetrain for torque) so the engine just jumps back from the damper... Does that make any sense?

streaker666
11-16-2003, 03:15 PM
that's what I've heard from my car since the first month of ownership of my 02. It happens to me at parking lot speed at around 1000 to 2000 revs. It still happens, and I've been doing what labelhunter has described for the past few months and it works...although people walking by in the parking lot will wonder what the hell you're doing and whether you can drive or not...

I took it to the dealer to have a tech look into it before, and he said it was driving like normal...so who knows?! Noises never show up when you have a tech riding in your car...

rs_1101
11-16-2003, 06:58 PM
have honda look at your motor mounts. basically our car puts out more torque than most smaller cars with weaker motor mounts, so when u have low end stress on ur motor, and release it, that clicking is themotor falling back to idle position.. imo
i know my ep has some serious issues with engine rocking to and fro.. im gonna go es as soon as i can confirm from honda that my mounts dont need replaced.