PDA

View Full Version : Stock rims Stock trim, 19's for da turbo?

sniperSI
09-26-2003, 07:43 AM
I've got small chunk of change coming to me in the next year so I think i'm going turbo(cn). My real questions is, I figure that stock rims up to 17's are pretty decent for our cars the way they are, stock, normal mods etc. 18's and 19's would really slow it down on stock trim. People with turbos, 17s or less, also have a hard time gaining traction in the lower gears. So my questions is, if you plan to go turbo, would it make sense to get an 18inch or 19inch wheel? Because you have enough horsepower dished out to get you up to speed, and the added weight and width of the tire can't help but add more traction?

What are your opinions?

mrfixit687
09-26-2003, 09:50 AM
can you even fit a 19" rim in there? i personally think anything bigger than a 17" looks too big on an ep, and if you get 18 or 19 be prepared to spend money on rubber out the ass and having bent rims from running rubber bands for tires

2k2ep
09-26-2003, 10:59 AM
I think on the street yes would be the answer. but I'd still only run an 17'' max. Because I'd swear you can squeeze a 235/40 on 17x9's. If you go 18, or 19 you probably only run a 225 at the biggest.

Slapshot25
09-26-2003, 11:04 AM
I saw a white EP for sale a few months ago with 19" Koenig Absolutes on it. It looked sweet but I don't know how it would drive. It was on the ground. I'd stick with 17" but no larger than 18".

sniperSI
09-26-2003, 11:09 AM
But what i'm really asking is:

You lose speed with 18's on stock setup

But with a turbo, you have so much more power, the loss in speed is negliable,

So if I were buying rims, should i get 18s if i have a turbo in mind for the future, would 18's make a big differance with a turbo setup?

esmith13
09-26-2003, 11:31 AM
Can't exactly answer your question, but look at it from this angle:

If a turbo gives you faster acceleration, and how fast your accelerating when you hit a pothole affects if you dent/break it or not, and thinner rubber makes it easier to dent or break it, than 18's are askin for a shattered rim on the first pothole you hit while gunnin it.

Also, rubber weighs more that most rims square inch vs square inch. SO, most 17's with "rubberband" tires weigh less than 15's with normal tires due to their being less rubber. ALSO think domestic drag cars. Big fat rubber with lower than normal air preassure gets better traction.

In the end, you best answer for the EP when turbo'd for traction is 15" or 16" wheels with good sticky rubber -- At least IMO.

Eric

eurosteez
09-26-2003, 12:25 PM
width is more important than diameter. ya dig?

sniperSI
09-26-2003, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by esmith13
Can't exactly answer your question, but look at it from this angle:

If a turbo gives you faster acceleration, and how fast your accelerating when you hit a pothole affects if you dent/break it or not, and thinner rubber makes it easier to dent or break it, than 18's are askin for a shattered rim on the first pothole you hit while gunnin it.

Also, rubber weighs more that most rims square inch vs square inch. SO, most 17's with "rubberband" tires weigh less than 15's with normal tires due to their being less rubber. ALSO think domestic drag cars. Big fat rubber with lower than normal air preassure gets better traction.

In the end, you best answer for the EP when turbo'd for traction is 15" or 16" wheels with good sticky rubber -- At least IMO.

Eric

Never thought of that.... things that make you go hmmmmm.

esmith13
09-26-2003, 12:29 PM
Glad i got to make someone go hmmmmmm today....
;)

Eric

ADAMnQuickCIVIC
09-26-2003, 12:39 PM
It's a completely different car, but my old 00' Maxima had 19" Rims on it (extremely heavy!) and at the track i could rip off 2.10 60' times all day because they were so heavy i would actually have to *try* to spin them....even making 360HP/340TQ...
I ran it at the track with stock 15" rims and did nothing but spin like crazy in 1st, 2nd, 3rd gears.
So the big, heavy wheels did HELP with traction, though I'm sure the weight was also HURTING my E.T.
Now that's a completely different car (500+ lbs heavier and a V6) so take this for what it's worth.

TripleJ02
09-26-2003, 07:40 PM
I had 18s on my si. Just know that if you do your gotta be ready for a hard ride and be ready to dodge any form of pothole. I dented 2 of my rims from potholes.
And know that your ride is seriously gonna suck, no excuses should be made. Ride was HARD :(

k20hatch
09-26-2003, 10:43 PM
My ride is fine with 18's!

StrangeShadow
09-26-2003, 11:07 PM
Originally posted by mrfixit687
can you even fit a 19" rim in there? i personally think anything bigger than a 17" looks too big on an ep, and if you get 18 or 19 be prepared to spend money on rubber out the ass and having bent rims from running rubber bands for tires
I've seen a type-r on 20"s
...when I was center snare in hs saying you made someone go hmmmmmm ment you got head from them.....:( ...so yeah....you just made another guy go hmmmmm:confused:

Brettnyt
09-26-2003, 11:58 PM
http://ephatch.com/forum/attachment.php?s=&postid=185613[/IMG]]20"s on a type R ([IMG) :eek: :p