PDA

View Full Version : Hondata reflash now, JRSC later???

chet
09-26-2003, 01:57 PM
I am getting a little tired of waiting on the JRSC. And I've almost convinced myself to stay away from a turbo. So I have thought of getting the reflash now and then the JRSC when it is released.

Now, with this in mind, and the fact that Jackson is going to have a kit with a Hondata flash included, should I wait??

THe upgrade now would benefit me during autocross, but how much more would I have to spend to reprogram the ecu when the JRSC kit comes out.

ALso, who is the least expensive and best to deal with when it comes to purchasing the Hondata ecu upgrade??

Give me your opinions and comments. Thanks guys

-Chet

Dunrick
09-26-2003, 03:27 PM
I'm going to do that same thing. I think hondata will reflash it for the jrsc kit for cheap...you don't have to rebuy the whole thing. You will have to reship it though.

andy
09-26-2003, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by chet

Now, with this in mind, and the fact that Jackson is going to have a kit with a Hondata flash included, should I wait??
ALso, who is the least expensive and best to deal with when it comes to purchasing the Hondata ecu upgrade??

-Chet

Here's my thoughts: If you are _definitely_ going to go with the
JRSC kit, then why hurry up and get Hondata? If you're thinking
you'll get the flash, then the kit, then upgrade...it seems like
you're just forking out more than you need to.
Personally, I'd take the $600 for Hondata and apply it to another
aspect of the car - supsension, other engine goodies, clutch etc. I'm sure your ansy about making the car a little more powerful,
but I don't think you should rush it. Not if you're just going to end
up paying an extra $200 or whatever it will cost to reflash the
ECU.
The only benefit to getting it now (beyond the obvious ones)
would be that you could always sell it, then just buy another one
when you want the kit.
So, after all that blabbing, I say wait on it. Obviously, it's not my
choice. ;)

Also, I'm fairly certain that the Hondata flash is the same cost
($600) no matter where you order it from. I don't think there is
any place that is undercutting anyone else, but I'm not positive.

chet
09-27-2003, 03:25 AM
Andy--I guess the main reason I am thinking of rushing on the Hondata is because it would be interesting to see how much quicker I can get during the last three or four autocross events. If I send it off early next week, I could get it back it plenty of time for the 2nd and 3rd weekend events in October. Plus I am sick of waiting on the JRSC, but I do think I will continue waiting on it and not get a turbo.

I hit my rev lim. at least once or twice each event. ..and that extra 1000 rpms will come in handy. I do understand your point about why spend the extra $$ and not wait for the whole thing. . .I am one impatient phuck and can't help myself!!! Although the Mugen cf rep wing is in the near future too, it can wait until I decide on the flash and JRSC. The one thing you mentioned that I may go with first is a clutch and flywheel upgrade.

Dunrick
09-27-2003, 08:52 AM
Go with your instinct man. Don't listen to wrx boyee. Hondata's extra rev's will help you in autox...but most importantly, the downlow grunt it gives you will help coming out of the apex.

andy
09-27-2003, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by Dunrick
Go with your instinct man. Don't listen to wrx boyee. Hondata's extra rev's will help you in autox...but most importantly, the downlow grunt it gives you will help coming out of the apex.

Hey now! ;) I'm not saying he shouldn't do it, I just cringe at the
thought of paying now and paying later. I shouldn't say much, though,
I'm extremely impatient when it comes to buying stuff myself.
If you're competitive in AutoX (i.e. it's more than just a way to
spend some time), then go for it. Sounds like it'll help your points/standings,
not to mention make your car more fun to drive while you wait on the
jrsc.

chet
09-27-2003, 11:40 AM
I will most likely do this next week. The first shop I called about the Hondata was KS motorsports in Ohio and they told me 545 and they could help me out on price with anything Hondata (future reprogramming after JRSC arrives).

Thanks for the feedback guys, I appreciate it. Its nice to actually get some quality pros and cons.

andy
09-27-2003, 12:30 PM
I will most likely do this next week. The first shop I called about the Hondata was KS motorsports in Ohio and they told me 545 and they could help me out on price with anything Hondata (future reprogramming after JRSC arrives).

Thanks for the feedback guys, I appreciate it. Its nice to actually get some quality pros and cons.

Hmm...interesting about the price. I just ordered a Hondata gasket
from KS and they shipped it to me fast (I haven't actually seen it,
b/c I'm away on business, but the UPS tracking showed it arriving
just fine) and seem to be on top of things. Probably a good choice...let
us know how you like it once it arrives!

chet
09-27-2003, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by andy
Hmm...interesting about the price. I just ordered a Hondata gasket
from KS and they shipped it to me fast (I haven't actually seen it,
b/c I'm away on business, but the UPS tracking showed it arriving
just fine) and seem to be on top of things. Probably a good choice...let
us know how you like it once it arrives!

SO, I am curious. . .I know there are some great shops in FL. I actually ordered my heatshield from a shop in FL, why did you decide to order from KS and not someone locally? Was it price/availability. . .or do you not like your local shops?

steve_jones
09-27-2003, 05:15 PM
I just got the ECU flashed on my Type R today, by Doug at Hondata (top bloke ) , hees over here doing presentations to us all ( very good ) , and doing some reprogrammes on euro spec type R`s, and all I can say is you WONT be dissapointed with the resullts, mine now Vtec`s at 5200 rpm, and redlines at 8600 rpm , and really smoothe throughout the rev range :)

We like

Got myself a gasket from him as well , just need to find someonne to install it now !!

Steve

andy
09-27-2003, 05:20 PM
SO, I am curious. . .I know there are some great shops in FL. I actually ordered my heatshield from a shop in FL, why did you decide to order from KS and not someone locally? Was it price/availability. . .or do you not like your local shops?

No reason, really. I was wanting to support an ephatch vendor, but
couldn't find one that sold it (or at least advertised it on their
site). I found a thread where someone said they bought it from
KS, so I went there.
Where do you order stuff from in FL? I know of a couple places, but
not many. You can PM me on that if you want.
Oh, the other thing, is I'm out of town, so getting it quick wasn't
a necessity.

chet
09-28-2003, 04:45 AM
Okay, new update on the current situation. . .I think I've changed my mind to turbo. I've been saving for a while now, and I think I have plenty for the kit, install, needed guages, and hopefully some tuning.

Steve, the RevHard kit has ecu upgrade, bonus!!

Andy, I can't remember for sure which shop it was I ordered the Hondata heatshield from, but I have purchase JDM stuff like Mugen oil cap, resevoir covers, Spoon sports magnetic oil&tranny bolts, etc. from IslandMotorsports.

I really want to wait for the JRSC. . .I've never driven an auto w/ either turbo or SC. So, its all about the extra little care that goes along with having a good working turbo. It will all be very new to me. The extra care = tuning fuel/air adjustments, am I rich/lean, should I have just bought that red S2000. . . .I will let you guys know when I do. Thanks for all of the insight.

chet
09-29-2003, 02:39 PM
REVHARD turbo ordered from Chuck at Showstoppers. Including Boost controller, boost guage and turbo timer. I am truly excited, specifically due to the fact I've never driven a turbo enhanced auto. Not even test-driven, owned by a friend. . .You get my point.

I was trying to figure out in my 2003 SCCA rulebook if the turbocharger is going to change my class. I am in Streed Modified w/the Hondata heatshield being the only mod that puts me in that class. ??? ANy insight into this? I just need to read through the rulebook carefully, but I am too excited to do it. Oh, Oh,. .. . .I need to change my pants now.:D

trk
09-29-2003, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by andy
I don't think you should rush it. Not if you're just going to end
up paying an extra $200 or whatever it will cost to reflash the
ECU.

Try $795 ---

Its pure BS.