PDA

View Full Version : starting to hate the body roll...

fishboy
06-26-2002, 11:13 AM
any tips?

xlr8
06-26-2002, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by fishboy
any tips?
all i can tell you is what i did. i got h&r springs, mugen rear sway bar(very expensive, but helped more then the springs) and 215/40 17s handles great now

Mulder
06-26-2002, 11:30 PM
Suspension Techniques sway bars should be available in July. The rear will be 22mm and the front 25mm. This set should really help with body roll. Sway bars on on top of my list ;)

DynaSpeed
06-28-2002, 11:38 AM
About what should I pay for the H&R's? I really want to get them, or the Sprints. The Sprints, even though I want the 2" drop, mess the camber up kinda bad (I hear), and I *hate* a car that looks like / \ . So the H&R's, I suppose, are the way to go. Ebay usually has them for about $136 + Shipping... about the same as www.groupbuycenter.com. Shipping is about $25, so $161? Can't I just go up to Discount Tire and get them for $168?

Please Help

xlr8
06-28-2002, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by DynaSpeed
About what should I pay for the H&R's? I really want to get them, or the Sprints. The Sprints, even though I want the 2" drop, mess the camber up kinda bad (I hear), and I *hate* a car that looks like / \ . So the H&R's, I suppose, are the way to go. Ebay usually has them for about $136 + Shipping... about the same as www.groupbuycenter.com. Shipping is about $25, so $161? Can't I just go up to Discount Tire and get them for $168?

Please Help
i looked on gruopbuycenter.com first then just decided to buy them from the shop that installed them for me. i didnt even ask the price, but i looked at my reciept. i got them for 160. my advice would be find the best pricec on the net and ask the shop of your choice to match the price. they most times will

DynaSpeed
06-29-2002, 05:56 AM
Good Advice. Thanks... I'm gonna do my own springs, so a shop is out of the question. Just curious, about what should anybody expect to pay to have a shop install springs? It usually takes me about 3 hours from start to finish.

xlr8
06-29-2002, 09:32 AM
i paid 125 for the install. i would have done it myself, but the service manager at my dealership said i can lower my car and not void the warranty only if a reputable shop lowered it and did a 4 wheels alignment. if your dealer will let you do it yourself go ahead, but ask them first. some dealers have different policies on things of that nature

stingyboy
06-29-2002, 05:14 PM
i've just ordered a rear combo tie/sway bar for $345 shipped from computech. i've heard lots of rave reviews about this product and its ability to much reduce body roll. some people described it as feeling like the rear end of your car is pushing you around corners. hope this helps. i'll let you know when i get/install mine.

Hondatech
06-29-2002, 08:43 PM
A cheap upgrade is an RSX Type S rear sway bar. It's 19 mm vs. the Si/SiR 15mm, and shouldn't cost much over $100. You'll need the bar itself, both end links, both "D" bushings, and the nuts for the endlinks. It installs in the stock location.

xlr8
06-30-2002, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by Hondatech
A cheap upgrade is an RSX Type S rear sway bar. It's 19 mm vs. the Si/SiR 15mm, and shouldn't cost much over $100. You'll need the bar itself, both end links, both "D" bushings, and the nuts for the endlinks. It installs in the stock location.
that should be an easy bolt up. my rear sway is for a rsx, but the mugen rear sway is 25mm. the stock rsx bar should make a big difference though

fishboy
07-01-2002, 11:24 AM
cool thanks for the tips. for sure i'm going to get every sway/strut/arm bar possible for the car. i would really like the mugen one, but it's alittle out of my range. is there an advantage to having an adjustable sway/tie combo? comptech offers one and it's a bit pricey. i mean is their stiff and stiffer? wouldn't you just want it at its stiffest?

http://shop.innercite.com/comptech/new.html

xlr8
07-01-2002, 11:28 AM
wow, thats more then my mugen bar

fishboy
07-01-2002, 11:40 AM
yeah, for some reason i was thinking $200 was a good price for a good sway bar. now i am rethinking my budgeting. would you recommend rims and good tires before a sway bar? i think rims are my next purchase, some 16s. would that help alot?

xlr8
07-01-2002, 11:51 AM
yeah, for some reason i was thinking $200 was a good price for a good sway bar. now i am rethinking my budgeting. would you recommend rims and good tires before a sway bar? i think rims are my next purchase, some 16s. would that help alot?
rims make a huge difference, but the sway bar is the biggest. whan i had my h&r springs and my rear sway bar on stock wheels and tires, my suspension was so tight i could feel the sidewall of my tires flexing. i think a rear sway bar is very important. it stopped that sloppy feeling in the suspension. the mugen bar is expensive, but to me it was worth every penny

fishboy
07-01-2002, 11:53 AM
how much was your bar again? i think i'm gonna put that on my list.

xlr8
07-01-2002, 11:54 AM

fishboy
07-01-2002, 11:55 AM
cool, thanks.

xlr8
07-01-2002, 11:56 AM
no problem

DynaSpeed
07-01-2002, 12:09 PM
Is your mugen bar adjustable?

xlr8
07-01-2002, 12:32 PM
no, just a 25mm bar

02SilverSiHB
07-21-2002, 08:13 AM
any tips?
it's always going to help if you get springs and upgrade the sways. Go for comptechs rear sway/tie bar combo.
But I have to say the stock suspension is actually pretty good for stock. But I know what ya mean. I had my suspension tweaked out on my civic ex I traded in.

stingyboy
07-21-2002, 07:27 PM
okay, finally got my comptech non-adjustable combo tie/sway bay on the car. first, let me say that this is the first product i've bought from comptech and the quality of the material is excellent. every piece was manufactured well and everything fits exactly as it should.

it takes only about 10 minutes to remove the 15 mm OEM sway bar from the rear. remove endlink nuts, remove 4 bolts holding sway bar to the sub-frame. step 1 finished.

you have to remove the 17mm bolts holding the Lower Control Arms to the chassis because the comptech tie bar bolts through there. to make install easier and to avoid having to remove lower shock nuts, place jackstands under the LCA's to keep them in place without the bolts. before bolting up the tie bar, though, first clean off the spray junk to get a nice clean area of contact. step 2 finished.

after that and bolting up the tie bar, you just bolt up the holding brackets, re-attach the endlinks, and torque everything down. oh yeah, don't forget the teflon tape on the new sway bar. it's a beefy 23 mm by the way. step 3 finished, that's it.

i feel good about the heavier sway bar bolting up to both the tie bar and the subframe which SHOULD prevent and subframe tears or damage. this is the reason i went with the comptech combo over other brands that just bolt on to the chassis as i've seen a couple beefy bars just rip out the subframe. don't want that.

anyway, install takes about 1.5 hours if you take your time and do everything cleanly. the bar does its job very well. the bigger sway bar definitely reduces the dreaded body roll and along with the tie bar helps to correct the car's natural understeer. going around corners now it feels like the ass end of the car is "pushing" you around the corner instead of just following meekly behind.

having the back end in order has now left me noticing a jiggly front ent which i suppose can be corrected with an upper strut bar... is there one out yet?? oh my, the never ending cycle of car improvement...

updated pics (http://www.geocities.com/stingyyboy/stingyboy.html)

xlr8
07-21-2002, 07:32 PM
dc sports is releasing a titanium strut tower bar next month

stingyboy
07-21-2002, 08:30 PM
thanks for the info! happen to have a link??

what about the type-r red OEM bar? that should fit, eh? i saw it on inlinefour.com.

also, where did you find the mugen sway bar? i have a friend who really likes their stuff. thanks.

xlr8
07-22-2002, 06:25 PM
i work a block away from king motorsports. i dont have a link for the bar, but i was in this monthes turbo on page 77. i havent seen the type r bar ill have to take a peek

02si
07-27-2002, 10:57 AM
This is a good thread
I'm sure many a novice is learning from it.

I sure am

Does extra beef in your bar mean a harsher ride.

I would seem that the next topic of discussion should be tire options.

02SilverSiHB
07-27-2002, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by 02si
This is a good thread
I'm sure many a novice is learning from it.

I sure am

Does extra beef in your bar mean a harsher ride.

I would seem that the next topic of discussion should be tire options.
no, the bigger the bar doesn't mean you'll have a harsh ride. I'm going to get that comptech sway/tie bar combo soon. I've only heard great things about it. I used to own a 97 ex with an upgraded sway and tie bar. it makes a world of a difference

02si
07-27-2002, 12:06 PM
Man I've just been oblivious to sway bars
I had koni and eibach and was underwhelmed at performance on my old accord
got the new si and though there was none greater and really no improvement to be made.
I seriously enjoy the push from the rear that makes the car a joy to run.
I beefier rear sway bar can make this car even greater.

Confidence is the word when you're coming up on a left hand turn at 50 plus mph engine braking to no avail because the engine is so fluid and you need to bend that corner because somebody in back of you (or in front if you need the attention) wants to be made a believer.

They'll believe...in giving up when you're climbing third gear getting on a freeway as they're just accelerarting out that same turn.

Its nice to dream a bit