PDA

View Full Version : EP vs RSX? Buying car... questions.

pedzola
09-27-2003, 08:08 AM
Hi everyone... I'm thinking about buying a new car and I have a few questions. I'm graduating from college in December, and I'll be starting my new job at the end of January. I only started getting into cars in the last year or 2. Right now I've got a stock auto '97 DX hatch, and I figured I would like to upgrade and get into modding... the other option I was considering was an RSX. I've been lurking on this board for a while and I've got a couple questions for all of you.

1. First of all... I like different things about the RSX and Si, they are both cool looking cars, but the RSX is a lot faster, plus it is 6spd... is it really worth the extra $5-$8,000? And do girls like RSX's better? :D

2. I read so much about people getting their Si's for like $16,500 or less. Is this common? There is a dealership around here that posts non-hagglable prices (which are usually reasonable), and its $18k for the EP. Edmunds says $17,100... ??? I'm not sure what to expect.

3. Along the same lines, when would be the best time to buy? (Should I wait til February or March, or should I get one RIGHT NOW?) '04 or '03? (When are 04's out?)

4. Anybody have dealership experiences in CT?

I'm not into racing so having a super-fast car isn't the most important thing to me. (If it were, I'd save for an Evo.) I just want something that looks cool and is fun to drive, and I can make a hobby out of modding it. I'm already leaning towards the EP but I'd like to get your input on my first question, answers to the other 3 would also be appreciated. Thanks! :D

Civicvtec1ps
09-27-2003, 08:45 AM
couple reasons that i went with si instead of rsx.
right now im 18, insurance was cheaper. car was cheaper. "supposely better gas miileage. great daily car, our si is one of the best interior honda ever made imo. love everything about it. like you said. if you are not planning to race , get si you wont regret. unique too:D
another thing.04 looks fugly. if you decided to go with si. just wait until 04 comes out on market then go buy leftover 03's

IceD out N CALI
09-27-2003, 08:51 AM
I really think you ought to test drive em both as much as possible. I'd say the Si because it is cheaper by far, but on the same note there are a lot of EP members here (that want to, or already have) gotten rid of their ep because they are tired of it, or it "wasnt what they wanted". I think u should talk to those people and find out why they wanted to get out of the ep so bad.

bobdobbs
09-27-2003, 08:53 AM
I had the same "problem" about a month ago. I bought an Si because it's more interesting than an RSX-S (to me) and the $6000 difference in price can buy a lot of mods. Both cars are Civic-based. Acura doesn't want you to think about that. Every time I looked at the RSX, I thought, "It's a $22,000 Civic". Nothing wrong with Civics (I own one) but $22,000 is a lot for one. ;)

pedzola
09-27-2003, 08:56 AM
Admittedly I haven't done much research on the 04, but I read a couple threads around here and I thought the consensus was that the only thing that changed was the lights? The projector lights on the front weren't THAT bad, I don't recall what the tails looked like...

In either case I DEFINITELY like the interior of the Si better. Guys at the RSX boards are always complaining that they want the seats. :D

I'm not sure how much insurance costs. My parents have been paying insurance through college since I'm paying for school on my own. Dad says it would probably be 200-250/month for insurance, does that sound right?

fsugatorbait
09-27-2003, 10:53 AM
Right now on my own policy im paying $265/month for insurance after about a 15% savings because of my job and im 22. So in CT that seems about right. I got mine at Liberty Honda, I went in this past January with a print out off of Manchester Honda's website with a no haggle $16,500 price for an 02 and they beat it. Ive had 0 problems with the car so its only been into the dealership for oil changes, (paid for by dealer ;) ) so I really dont know how good there service would be if I were to have a warranty related problem with aftermarket parts.
If you arent worried about the HP difference between the two, Id definately get the EP, hands down. I love mine and would rather save the extra $5K and use it towards a swap, just my opinion. HTH.

pedzola
09-27-2003, 11:07 AM
Manchester Honda's site says $18k no-haggle for '03 EP. :'(

I have heard bad things about Liberty Honda in the past. I went there when I was looking for my current car (which I bought at Enfield Honda) and they were jerks to me. Maybe Manchester will drop their prices once the 04's are on the lot?

In any case, I've practically convinced myself that this is the car I want. I think a white one w/white rims. Anybody know if the '04s are going to have any new colors? 02 had yellow, 03 has blue, are they going to have euro-orange for 04? :eek:

jaydub
09-27-2003, 11:10 AM
My neighbor just got an 03 RSX, base model. He came by my house and asked "if I had any extra parts", sort of joking because he knows I work on my car. I told him, "actually a lot of it is interchangeable, they're pretty much the same car." and he got mad and walked away.

I duno what the relevance of that story is, but I am glad I picked my Si instead of an RSX.

pedzola
09-27-2003, 11:15 AM
Maybe when I get my EP I will re-badge it as an Acura. :D

DavidT
09-27-2003, 11:25 AM
I was in the same dilemma about a month ago. Trying to decide whether to get a RSX or an Si. I REALLY wanted a Civic Type R and waited so long but I gave up and went to look at RSX's and Si's. After an intensive research I decided on the Si, mainly because it's cheaper, not a whole lot of them around, insurance is WAY cheaper for the Si than it is for the RSX (For me at least), and lastly the Si I bought actually drove better than a few of the base RSX's that the dealer had on the lot. I know every car (Although they're the same car) drives alittle different but the difference to me was big enough. They only had one Si on the lot which was the one I bought so I couldn't compare overall differences to other Si's. Your best bet is to just go out and test drive them all. And laslty...test drive the RSX-S last because once you drive that one, the base RSX and the Si will seem like "Damn, when's VTEC gonna kick in??" :p I made a mistake of test driving the RSX-S first...damn that car was fun. Too much insurance cost for me though :(

pedzola
09-27-2003, 11:40 AM
Unfortunately I don't even know how to drive stick yet. lol My friend gave me a quick lesson on his WRX, but after lurching the car several times he is unwilling to let me get back behind the wheel. :angel: haha I need to find somebody w/an old car that has manual tranny for me to learn on. Or else I guess I will be learning on my test drive... Maybe the dealer will give me lessons? :D

phatfreeza
09-27-2003, 03:52 PM
buy an ep, do a $3-4,000 k20a2 swap and voila! problem solved!! :)

that's one way to go.. i've heard too many people say the rsx-s is waaaaaaaaay better than the ep engine wise...and i would probably agree with them... i say, if you have the money and don't want to mod your car.. then the S will have a lot of beef... STOCK :)

bobdobbs
09-27-2003, 04:16 PM
There are three things that suck about the the RSX-S:

1) The seats are covered in cheap leather and aren't as performance-oriented as ours.

2) The stock tires suck.

3) The stereo sucks. (F-ing Bose)

You might say 2 and 3 apply to the EP3 as well, but the difference is you can spend the money you saved upgrading them. If you bought the RSX-S, you'd still have to upgrade these things after you've spent $22,000 on the car.

Where's EP3_DC5 to defend the RSX, by the way? I would have expected him to correct me by now. :D

chibianh
09-27-2003, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by pedzola
Unfortunately I don't even know how to drive stick yet. lol My friend gave me a quick lesson on his WRX, but after lurching the car several times he is unwilling to let me get back behind the wheel. :angel: haha I need to find somebody w/an old car that has manual tranny for me to learn on. Or else I guess I will be learning on my test drive... Maybe the dealer will give me lessons? :D

That's funny.. because when I went to pick up my ep, i didn't know how to drive a stick either! lol.. however, the saleswoman was pretty cool and gave me a quick lesson. I guess i'm a quick learner cuz i drove it home afterwards. the stalls were embarrassing too... especially during rush hour when I was driving home from the dealer! anyway, i wouldn't call myself a pro, but i haven't stalled in a while ;) it's been 3 weeks since i got the car, btw

blueiedgod
09-27-2003, 05:49 PM
I agree that you should go out there and test drive both. I never drove RSX-S, I just could not justify paying $20K+some for a Civic. The RSX felt like I was sitting in a bucket. I think it has a higher belt line or the seats are lower to the floor.

If you don't know how to drive stick, save your self aggrivation and get a beater 5 spd for $500 and use it to learn how to drive stick. Si's clutch is an unforgiving clutch. And the fat torque curve will have you chirping your wheels for the next few months. Why would you want to buy a brand new car and ruin it by learning how to drive stick on it? At least with a beater you can still sell it for the same $500 you bought it for.

I bought mine from Fair Honds in Danbury. I have been buying parts from them for years, and they always took care of me. The purchase was painless. I bought a left over 2002 Si in January of 2003. According to the paperwork, my car has been at Fair Honda since may 2002. I figure they were happy to unload it, and I was happy to help them. :-)

kcx23
09-27-2003, 06:32 PM
girl like rsx's better cuz more of them drive it.hehe. j/p EP3 for life!

Tucker
09-27-2003, 09:18 PM
2. I read so much about people getting their Si's for like $16,500 or less. Is this common?I don't know how common this is, but that's what I paid for my 2003 Si a week ago. Another local dealer offered me an "Internet special" of $18,600. What a joke. With the $1000 dealer cash that was like paying more than MSRP.

I really like the car so far (much more refined than my old '92 Si), but do wish it had the 200 HP RSX-S engine. That's not such a big deal to me though since I bought it mainly as a commuter car that's also fun to drive. And it is fun.

The Si hatchback is a more practical design than the RSX, which has very limited rear seat headroom. The main things that sold me were the much lower price, the more practical design, and the really nice interior seats.

As for being a chick magnet... don't think any Civic or RSX would fall into that category! Have fun.

SexySIgiRL
09-27-2003, 11:02 PM
hMm...i think u should...get the SI *even tho it's a lil uglier* and use the money that you save n...spend a lil bit on your car..and most of it on a girl! she'll love you forever..and she won't care what the heck you drive :) haha...just a lil word of advice to all u guys out there!! cuz girls hate it when you spend more on ur car than on them!

chubbychu
09-27-2003, 11:54 PM
hmm...since you are on an EP board. lol

it all comes down to what you want.
si is more economical, more unique
rsx is more speedy, more "fun"

MrCivic03
09-28-2003, 07:41 AM
ok some u guys need to specify the rsx as more "fun". u are talkin about the type s not base correct?? if u talkin about the base i disagree and dont confuse this guy i think he is going between a si and a base rsx. well i test drove both rsx base and si and the si had more kick IMO... i like the uniqueness of the si and everyone and his brother(sister) have a rsx. if u get a rsx-s well then it is a diff story. but i would rather save the money on si, swap with a k20a oe k20a2 engine with the saved money and voila like previusly said u have a SI-type s... heheh

pedzola
09-28-2003, 08:49 AM
I was talking about SI vs. Type-S. I realize that the base RSX is basically just an SI in a different outfit, so to speak. If I could get an SI for $18k out the door, that would be in comparison with about $23-$25k out the door for an RSX (w/factory lip kit - very important). So I would be saving $5-$7k theoretically.

I figure w/$7,000 of mods I could have a pretty cool little space egg. New wheels, coilovers, kaminari lip kit, a cool wing, maybe better brakes, in-dash video screen w/ Playstation 2 attached... :D

OR... I could do an engine/transmission swap and stick the type-s guts into my si. But how much sense does that really make? I'm pretty sure it would void every warranty under the sun, and also it would probably take up the whole $7k, if not more. Not to mention I would need to buy all kinds of tools probably.

I don't see the swap as a viable alternative. :p

pedzola
09-28-2003, 09:59 AM
Tryin to convince my dad to co-sign on loan for me so I can get EP now instead of february after I start my job.

Anybody know how the co-signing thing works? I don't have much credit, im currently a college student, but im graduating in december, and I have a job lined up starting in january. I figure now is a pretty good time to buy cause of '04 models coming out and etc. If I could find an '03 for $16,500 I would go for it. (Not to mention that I have been wanting a new car forever!)

So I would hope that if he co-signs that I would be able to get the 1.9%. My mom just got a civic w/the 1.9 financing this summer, so I know THEY qualify fine. I know I don't because I am unemployed w/barely any credit history. But if they co-sign, would honda take the better of the borrowers credit ratings, or would they split the diff and still offer me a crappy rate?

Anyone know how that works?

blackyEP3
09-28-2003, 11:26 AM
Can't go wrong with the EP man! I went out yesterday, I saw 2 EPs (I was surprised, usually I see NONE) and I saw 20+++ RSXs. :D

IknowApirate
09-28-2003, 01:56 PM
But if they co-sign, would honda take the better of the borrowers credit ratings, or would they split the diff and still offer me a crappy rate?

Anyone know how that works?

You'd get the 1.9%.

bao_pay
09-28-2003, 02:28 PM
Man someone said the RSX isn't a babe magnet? Dood... where do you live beverly hills 90210? I live in an area that has enuff sweet cars... s2000 and wrx's are the norm... but rsx's get their fair share of poontang... so far for the ep I've only seen a bunch of old doods driving it in my area... it dosen't faze my love for the car because I know the potential that it has to be as an awesome sleeper car...

if you aren't planning on doing mods and you want girls get the rsx... if smoking rice boys with your sleeper puts a smile on your face and you don't need a car to get girls then get the ep and get mods... with the 7g's you're saving on the car thats plenty of go fast goodie...

pedzola
09-28-2003, 03:29 PM
1) I am planning on doing mods. But if I get an RSX I will have much less $$ to play with, and also I will not be getting a car until March. (If I were to get an RSX I would wait til I've started my job and saved a little bit of $$ for downpayment)

2) I don't think that the EP is going to be smoking much of anything unless I were to do an engine swap and/or major engine work/turbo upgrade/or whatever. I don't particularly care to do that when I could just spend the extra $$ up front and get a WRX and not have to worry about breaking shit or voiding warranties.

3) Girls like the RSX better, it's practically a proven fact. I stole some pics off the RSX board of what my ideal RSX would look like after mods, and I did the same with somebodys car here (hope whoever it is doesn't mind), and I showed the pictures to different girls that I know to get their reactions.

Heres the link to the pictures:
http://webpages.charter.net/pedzola/car/

They are both sweet cars... but I continually got comments like "OMG I would sleep w/you if you had that car!!" when girls looked at the RSX, and comments like "It looks... like a little minivan... or an egg." when they were looking at the EP.

I don't know that the EP would hurt my ability to pick up girls, I just don't think it would help. I think the RSX would help. http://webpages.charter.net/pedzola/images/smileys/hump[1].gif

But I still like the EP better. I'm going to try to get one ASAP. I have to work out insurance and some other stuff w/my parents... Anybody want to buy a stock '97 DX hatch? It's red... ;)

Finger
09-28-2003, 06:20 PM
"OMG I would sleep w/you if you had that car!!"
You actually get those comments from the pic of a car you don't even own?? Man, I think I'll trade my car now :d

pedzola
09-28-2003, 07:38 PM
Dead serious... from more than 1 girl too. I was just talkin to a friend of mine about the EP and she was like ummmm... its hotter than a ford explorer... http://webpages.charter.net/pedzola/images/smileys/stickpoke.gif

But ill be getting a new EP myself soon hopefully, so I wouldn't want to be putting anyone down. I'm gonna start lookin around tomorrow and see if I can get one for $16,500. Then we can all go to the bar and pick up chicks who don't care about our cars.
http://webpages.charter.net/pedzola/images/smileys/bier.gif

chibianh
09-28-2003, 08:51 PM
if it makes u ep guys feel any better, i got a wink from this hot blonde at a stop light today. i think she was driving an integra gsr. my gf flipped her off though.. but i just told my gf that she was winking cuz of my ep and not me.. :cool:

tsa1
09-28-2003, 11:35 PM
well, between the ep and base rsx, i would take the ep, but if u are debating between the rsx type s or the ep i would go with the type-s , but maybe u could find a nice used one for like 17k its possible. ya the ep has way better tires than the type-s and the ep's tires suck. i have some yokohama es 100's on my car now and man what a difference. trust me when u hit vtec at wot for the first time in the rsx... u wont care about its bad tires, bad stereo, 4 people seating or anything... i didnt.

o and chicks rike the rsx way better, and dont worry its not a girls car like that celica, chicks only drive the base model rsx, maybe cuz it has a auto unlike the celica.

bao_pay
09-29-2003, 12:45 AM
Originally posted by Finger
You actually get those comments from the pic of a car you don't even own?? Man, I think I'll trade my car now :d

hahaha... thats better then getting double thumbs up from some dood driving a burck down accord who barely speaks a lick of english...

bloodzombie
09-29-2003, 12:48 PM
Contrary to what guys like to think, most chicks don't give a rats ass what kind of car you drive. Of course you don't want a busted down '89 ford festiva...

bloodzombie
09-29-2003, 12:48 PM
Contrary to what guys like to think, most chicks don't give a rats ass what kind of car you drive. Of course you don't want a busted down '89 ford festiva...

pedzola
09-29-2003, 03:58 PM
Heres the deal. Went to Acura and Honda dealerships today. Acura won't do crap for me. The best price they would give me on RSX type-S was $23k before tax title and registration. On top of that it wasn't even a nice color.

I was already pretty sold on the Si anyway. I came across something pretty amazing... a dealer with a whole bunch of them, and they even have 2 '02s left!!! I was like whaaaaaat I ccould get that for mad cheap.

However... They quotes me $16,900 for an '03, and $16k even for an '02. I figured I would be able to get the '02 for like $15k since its been sittin on their lot for 2 years... a white one w/all the plastic and stuff still on it! Oh well. So I might buy the '03. It's $16,900 before tax title and registration, so total ends up being like $18,300. Does that sound reasonable to you guys? Do you think I should go back and haggle on the '02?

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

- Chris

blueiedgod
09-29-2003, 04:07 PM
If you are planning on keeping it for a while, I think you should go back a haggle for the 2002. Offer them $14K, if they say no, you have nothing to lose. You can turn around and get the 2003 for $16,800 from carsdirect with no hassle. If they don't want to sell you the 2002 for under $14,500, I say offer $16,000 on the 2003. The 2003 is a year old now, and 2004 will have some other goodies on it.

If you are willing to drive to Danbury, I can give you a contact name, they took good care of me.

bobdobbs
09-29-2003, 04:08 PM
I'd decide based on how many miles are on each car. If the '02 has 100+ demo miles and the '03 has 4, then I'd go for the '03. I don't like the idea that you're paying for a new car, but you don't know who's thrashed it before you. Go for the best individual car you find.

$16.9K is just about what carsdirect.com is quoting. It's a fair price, not great. October is just two days away and the 1.9% and $1000 dealer incentive expire. Whether they get renewed is unknown.

pedzola
09-29-2003, 04:24 PM
Yes I also don't know if they are going to get renewed. I didn't know about a $1000 dealer incentive.

The girl asked me right up front what I was expecting to get for a price on the '03. And I was honest and said people online tell me they get them for $16,500. And she was like, no thats not possible. And I'm like well thats what they told me. Shes like our invoice is $17,300 theres no way another dealer could give it to you for $16,500. And then she came back w/$16,900. I dunno.

I asked her to just give me her best price on the '02. and she came back w/16.

I am really hoping the 1.9% financing gets renewed... they keep renewing it so im kind of banking on it. My dad says he doesn't have time to look up the insurance crap and go to the dealership and stuff tomorrow (its an hour drive away) so theres no way we could do it before the weekend anyway. :sadm:

soooooooooooooooooooooo... anyway regarding mileage. They had a couple black ones a couple silver ones a blue one and a white one. I think I am gonna go for a black one. The one I test-drove today still had plastic and stuff on the seats so it can't have been used very much. The white one ('02) didn't even have the plastic on the OUTSIDE of the car taken off. I think there were only a few miles on the one I drove but not 100% sure, maybe like 25 miles. *shrug* Anyway I don't know how I would feel about buying an '02 that has sat on the lot unmoved for 2 years... And I guess they like it there, cause if they were really desperate to get rid of it they woulda offered to give it to me for cheaper than $16k.

So you don't think $16,900 is a decent deal, or what?

bobdobbs
09-29-2003, 04:34 PM
I paid $16,471 with a set of floor mats (60 buck?) thrown in, almost exactly one month ago. I got that price because that's what carsdirect.com was offering them for at the time. I printed off the carsdirect quote and took it to the dealer; they matched it. Now the carsdirect price is $16,821, so $16,900 isn't too bad.

I think anything under $17K for the car is a fair deal. What else are you going to buy for that price? A Protege5? A Sentra SE-R? Those cars are crap.

pedzola
09-29-2003, 04:38 PM
Thank you, I feel better about the price now. I was afraid everyone would make fun of me saying I shouldn't have paid more than $16k for it or something. But thats exactly what I'm saying... what else can I get for the $$? Not much... the civic Si is sweet, there isn't anything in the price range that is better. I don't think I would have regrets paying $16,900.

So hopefully I will be able to pick it up this weekend... what do you think, black, blue, or silver? I am leaning towards black. :smilem:

bobdobbs
09-29-2003, 04:41 PM
The black is sweet; it's got this blue metal flake in the paint. But, black is so hard to keep clean and shows scratches really bad.

Go for blue. The red trim (tails, JDM badges, seats inserts) looks great against the blue. Plus, blue is more rare than all the other colors, except for Urine Yellow. :D

Not that I'm biased... :cool:

blueiedgod
09-29-2003, 04:50 PM
Originally I was going to get a silver, but it looked too much like a mini van. Got a black instead. I had a black car before, and knew what I was getting into. So, if you don't like to wash a wax you car often then forget about black. It is absolutely beautiful when clean, but it only stays this way for a few hours.

Din't you mention that you were planning on getting a new car in march? If you are uncomfortable with the price, I say you just wait it out and see how you feel.
Personally, I would have never bought the Si if it were not for the price. It was $4500 cheaper than the nearest competitor (Matix XRS). I was actually on the waiting list for the 5 spd Element, and went in to check on the date, it was pushed to May (in January) So, I started talking with the sales guy and he offered to test drive the Si. I liked it, but remembered that when I looked into it earlier they wanted almost $20K. I was perfectly comfortable paying that for an Element but it was way too much for a civic. They came back with a price, and it was "an offer I could not refuse"

Do a search and you will see what I paid for a left over 2002 in January 2003. I am not going to post it in this thread.

bobdobbs
09-29-2003, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by blueiedgod
just picked up my 2002 black ep3 yesterday. paid $XX 000, (almost $XXK with tax, title, registration) with genhis's cd changer certificate, and got floor mats.
I have to agree, this Si is night and day from my 99 coupe Ex. i do wish it had a center console or at least an arm rest though.

Just wondering if I am the oldest Si owner on this forum. I am 27.

[XX's inserted by me]

Smokin' deal, man. And you're not the oldest in this forum. :D

s to the i
09-29-2003, 07:35 PM
i'd say go with the ep and save the money. and girls do like the ep. i've gotten lots of waves from random hot girls while driving in it which has never happened in any of my previous cars. also every girl i know likes it and calls it cute. :cool:

pedzola
09-29-2003, 08:05 PM
Damn that is a good deal man... =\ If they still got 02's now I should be able to get at LEAST that price if not better, geez. =\ But hey im not gonna be greedy or cheap, and I'd rather have a newer car. I think 16,900 sounds like a fair deal.. like 18,300 after tax and etc. Its for the model w/side airbags too, so thats good. I think carsdirect and edmunds list the best price for the one w/o airbags?

Anyway im definitely gonna go w/it unless something crappy happens (like 1.9 financing goes away on wednesday). That would be sad... :sadm:

But hopefully this weekend I get my new black EP! I'm already planning mods for it... first up is a drop! Well... maybe those cool red honda seat belt covers... then the drop... :winkm:
Any suggestions for first mods? :shadesm:

chibianh
09-29-2003, 08:21 PM
Go for the EP man.. it's a good deal.. I got mine 3 weeks ago for 16400 w/ floor mats and couldn't be happier. s to the i is right... chicks dig the EP.. especially the shifter :D ;)

blueiedgod
09-30-2003, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by s to the i
i'd say go with the ep and save the money. and girls do like the ep. i've gotten lots of waves from random hot girls while driving in it which has never happened in any of my previous cars. also every girl i know likes it and calls it cute. :cool:

Chicks would dig you more in a Mini. It makes them scream how cute it is and light up. LOL

But I have to agree with "Bloodzombie" Chicks could care less what you drive. Of course there are gold digging ones that would only go out with someone in BMW or a Lexus. Do you want that? DO you want to constantly question whether she is with you because she thinks you have money or because she likes you? I have picked up girls when I was driving an 83 Chevy Celebrity. Besides when you are at club/bar she doesn't know what you drive. And if you got her to walk out to your car, it doesn't matter what you drive, she is getting in and you are getting some!

bloodzombie
09-30-2003, 01:42 PM
yeah, some chicks care.. they're called "whores"

bobdobbs
09-30-2003, 01:53 PM
After three chocolate martinis, the only thing you'll have to worry about is getting her shoe marks off your headliner.

LordKoo
09-30-2003, 08:41 PM
pedzola,
Are you into pussies or cars? If you want to get pussies with your car, get a BMW or Ferrari, you can't go wrong with one of them.

If you are into car, get RSX-S if you have extra $$$$. If not, be content and stick with SI. I noticed that more females drive RSX than SI. So... go figure...

Tucker
09-30-2003, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by bobdobbs
[XX's inserted by me]

And you're not the oldest in this forum. :D Hey, I resemble that remark... I'm more than double the age of the average Si owner... been fooling with cars since the early 60s.

Dunrick
09-30-2003, 09:47 PM
buy the rsx so you can relate to all the other women that drive that car......haha i kid i kid

anti-hu
09-30-2003, 11:40 PM
if your looking for a black ep3 ive been doing some searching this dodge dealership has a 2003 black ep3 with 160 miles on it for 15,995 which can be found here

http://www.schaumburgdodge.com/inventorysearch.php?SHOW_RESULTS=DETAIL&VEHICLE_KEY=165:1183&LOT_ID=165&CLASSIFICATION_DESC=Hatchback&LISTING_TYPE_DESC=Used%20Vehicle

its in illinois.

speedking604
10-01-2003, 02:07 AM
hi,,,,,i drove the rsx for like one week because my 1.7 acura got vandalize b4.i never like it,,,the handling is not so good and the interior is really sick,,,not much space,,,...my 1.7 el acura is better handling and more fun to drive.after having the 1.7 el acura for like 11 months (lease) my dealer offer me his 2002 honda civic sir.he wants to switch with me.i decided to go with it coz i like to have a 2 doors car and i love that kind of car especially the power of SIR. the car is 10000km and my acura 1.7 el is 21 both lease car coz i need to build my credit first. i have 3000 down pym and he has 2000 down pym.1000$cnd different.eventhough is like that i still switch with him coz i know it's worht it,good handling than my 1.7 acura el,,,way better than rsx,,,and after owning my 2002 sir for like 8 months now heres what it look like now.....

http://www.geocities.com/speedking604/

pedzola
10-01-2003, 05:37 AM
Thanks everybody, I value your comments.

I'm going out thurs/fri/sat to look at cars more. I'm still going to check out 1 more acura dealer, but barring the chance that I get a spectacular deal on a type S ($23k or less OTD) then I'm going to go w/the Si.

Sorry to make such a big deal of the "girls like RSX better" thing. ;) I just think it would be an added bonus, and I'm trying to weigh in the +'s and -'s of each car.

Thanks for all of your input. ;) Thanks for the lead on the car in illnois dude, but I don't think I would want to ship a new car halfway across the country, let alone buy a new car w/o checking it out. Thanks though. ;) If anybody knows of a decent dealership in CT/MA around the Manchester/Hartford/Willimantic/Springfield/Worcester areas that would be sweet. :smilem:

I think ill go back to that other dealership on the weekend and offer them 16k out the door for the white '02. I'll go see if a diff honda dealer will beat their 16,900 price on the '03 also so I have some bargaining power. If anybody has any tips please let me know.

pedzola
10-01-2003, 07:41 AM
:crym: No word of 1.9 financing or any other rebates or etc from Honda for October yet. Looks like I might not be getting a car this weekend if they up the price to 18k and take away special financing. =(

Anybody know where I can get the latest info on this? Is it possible Honda could announce new rebates/financing in a day or 2 or something? =(

Looks like RSX special financing is also over??? Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oo.... :crym:

blueiedgod
10-01-2003, 03:01 PM
If you don't get the price you want or financing you want, just stick to the original plan and wait until March. I assume your current ride is not on its last breath and you don't desperately need a new car. This way, you will have a car that has seen one less winter road with slat spreaders and rocks kicked up by the trucks. :-)

pedzola
10-01-2003, 03:12 PM
Now that I've started pricing things out, and convinced my dad that I need a new car now and that its doable, I've gained a lot of momentum so to speak. Its hard to slow down. I want a new car NOW. I've already told everyone im getting a new car this weekend, ive already convinced myself ill be driving my new ride by Sunday...

I dunno. I'll talk to the honda people again. 2.9 financing from honda now... thats fine. Hopefully they don't change the price they quoted me.

pedzola
10-04-2003, 10:37 AM
I DID IT.

Went and got a brand new black 2003 ep today. I feel retarded because I haven't even been able to drive it yet. I don't know how to drive stick and my dad didn't want to teach me tonight cause its dark and raining (he drove the car home). Ugh and my friend who was gonna teach me isn't around either. =P And I'm busy all day tomorrow! :yellm:!! I'm not even gonna get to drive my car til tomorrow night. :crym:

Oh well, it looks awesome, I sat it in and checked out the stock stereo - not too bad. I can't wait to start zippin around in my new lil egg-van. hehehe

bobdobbs
10-04-2003, 10:43 AM
Congrats, bro! What kind of deal did you get?

pedzola
10-04-2003, 10:54 AM
$16,900. *shrug* not bad, I can't complain. I offered $15k for the 2002, and they wouldn't budge on the 16k price. They're like, we're already losing $400 on the car at 16, we can't ask us to lose $1000 more.

So I was like whatever and I just took a 2003 out for a test drive w/dad and we bought that one.

It's sweet. <3 it. :smilem:

Although it would have been sweeter if it were white... but there aren't any white ones around, so black will do. They cautioned me that I will have to wax it every month or 2 or else acid rain will eat my paint. =(

blueiedgod
10-05-2003, 12:02 AM
Congrats on the new EP. I have a black one too, and it is a pain in the neck to keep it clean, especially in the winter. But I still like it in black rather than any other color.

The dealer is a real dumb ass though. He was not willing to lose another grand on 2002? This is the reason why he still has 2002's on the lot, because he is greedy. What is he hoping for? for the 2002 Si to become antique?

pedzola
10-05-2003, 01:50 AM
Yes, pain to keep clean... after driving around in a little bit of rain last night I see my black EP now is just plain DIRTY.

That kinda sucks. Anyone have experience w/the factory mudguards? Are they any good at keeping crap off the side of the car? They look a little small.

I'm going to order a set of floormats, I need to get the red H emblems for front and back, that nice aluminum shift knob (ctr?), and red honda seatbelt covers.

Anybody know where I can get these things other than ebay? handaaccessories.com was referred to me in another thread for the floormats, anybody know where I can get the rest of the stuff?

Thanks.

Tucker
10-05-2003, 03:20 AM
Congratulations on your new purchase pedzola. I'm sure you will be very happy with the car. One thing I would caution you on... PLEASE resist the urge to go out and hammer the engine and trans before they gets broken in. This will pay-off big-time in the future. Both the engine and trans needs some miles on them before they should be exercised to the max. That doesn't mean you should totally baby them... just keep the revs reasonable and avoid a lot of full throttle and you should be fine. Mine just turned over 600 miles yesterday and it definitely feels better than when I got it. The transmission shifts much smoother and the engine just feels like it wants to rev easier.

Tucker
10-05-2003, 03:44 AM
Anyone have experience w/the factory mudguards? Are they any good at keeping crap off the side of the car? They look a little small. They work pretty well. I had them on my '92 Si and I have them on the new EP... 'cause the dealer already had them installed.

I'm going to order a set of floormats I just got a set myself. I ordered them from my usual Porsche contact, Paragon Products. The mats are made by Lloyds, and are MUCH thicker and nicer than the factory mats. I had them made in black with a red border. Price was $92.95 with shipping.

stephen
10-05-2003, 07:14 AM
With better bargaining skills, you could have gotten the 2002 for $14,000 or even less. I bought a leftover 2002 last year for $15,200.

speedking604
10-05-2003, 07:33 AM
good pick compare to rsx...............way better.....i know rsx is nicer look than si but once you started putting something to it you will forget rsx. check mine now.................

http://www.geocities.com/speedking604/

pedzola
10-05-2003, 10:13 AM
Thanks for all your positive comments. Unfortunately they wouldn't budge on the '02. I think thigns might be different in CT than other parts of the country possibly. It always seems like people can get such good deals in other parts of the country, on more than just cars, and that things are just plain more expensive here. I don't know how much merit that statement really has, but I've heard it echoed by other people.

Anyway I'm still getting the hang of the manual tranny... It takes so much concentration for my right now to drive. I'm doing alright though... I just have a hard time starting from a stop. It is very nerve-racking on hills when some bastard pulls up 6" behind my car. I usually end up revving too much just to make sure I'll get up, sort of launching the car I guess. I'm still not so familiar w/the catchpoint.

Thank you for the caution on not running it too hard, it is VERY tempting. heheehhe I haven't been above 5k rpm yet. I usually shift around 3-4k rpm. I'm going to make a conscious effort to try to take it easy. ^__^

speedking604
10-05-2003, 11:40 AM
i think it's time to show us what you got .............picture please.
i'm happy for you man,,,,keep in touch

pedzola
10-05-2003, 01:05 PM
Nobody needs to see a picture of a stock black ep. Let alone a dirty one. After I get my complimentary detailing next week I may post a pic. But it'll still be stock. I don't think im going to change suspension/wheels or anything else exterior until after winter.

andy
10-05-2003, 02:18 PM
Congrats on the purchase/new car.

I had to learn to drive a stick on my then-new wrx - fun stuff.
A good/easy way to learn the 'catchpoint' of the clutch is to get
in a flat parking lot and start the car. Clutch in, shift into first,
and slooooowwwwly let out the clutch, without applying any gas.
There should be enough torque with just the engine idling to get you
moving. This way, you can feel exactly where the clutch engages without
your right foot getting in the way. ;) And trust me (if you haven't
figured it out already), driving a manual is waaaay better than an
automatic - the only exception being heavy stop and go traffic.

bobdobbs
10-05-2003, 03:13 PM
Just remember, a clutch likes to be either on or off. They wear the most when they're slipping, so try to minimize that. If you do, your clutch will last years. If you slip it a lot, especially with high RPMs, you're looking at an expensive replacement. It's not covered by warranty, same as brake pads.

bloodzombie
10-06-2003, 01:02 PM
Congrats man! I think you did great, a good price on a fantastic car. Personally, I think black is the best color (I own silver, no black in stock), even if it's hardest to keep clean. When you give it a good wash and wax, step back and check out your handy work, it's all worth it.

blueiedgod
10-06-2003, 02:55 PM
Yes, pain to keep clean... after driving around in a little bit of rain last night I see my black EP now is just plain DIRTY.

That kinda sucks. Anyone have experience w/the factory mudguards? Are they any good at keeping crap off the side of the car? They look a little small.

I'm going to order a set of floormats, I need to get the red H emblems for front and back, that nice aluminum shift knob (ctr?), and red honda seatbelt covers.

Anybody know where I can get these things other than ebay? handaaccessories.com was referred to me in another thread for the floormats, anybody know where I can get the rest of the stuff?

Thanks.

You can get floor mats from Fair Honda in Danbury for $70 or less. I got mudguards from them too, for $60. Only $4 shipping, or you can pick it up. The web addy is: http://www.fairhondapartsforyou.com
If you give them an address outside of CT you won't have to pay sales tax.

You can get the shoulder pads in Chinatown for $5. But I found them totally useless, they bind the seat belt.

pedzola
10-06-2003, 06:01 PM
I will keep the clutch slipping thing in mind. I am starting to get the hang of the man-tran, but hills are still a challenge for me. My driveway is fairly steep so I have been practicing on that. I always manage to roll back 2-3 feet. Hopefully I won't be put in the position where im on a hill like that w/somebody right on my ass.

Yes the black looks very nice. I was gettin looks from some asian chicks when I got outta my car at school tonight. ;) Of course, they seemed to be the off-the-boat phd-student asian type and not the hot girl americanized asian type. Oh well, its a start. ;) hehe But yes the black is very nice. I am going to try my best to keep it clean.

I already ordered floormats from handaaccessories.com for $65 + ship and no tax. I would have paid the extra to get them sooner though, they won't be here til like monday. DOH. I'm gettin all kinds of pine needles and dirt and crap on the floor already. =(

I'm still looking for other accessories. This dude in another one of my threads said he would sell me the clear bumper lights and a jdm shift knob but he hasn't gotten back to me so I dunno what the deal is. :rolleyes:

Any suggestions for other inexpensive mods? Anyone have any experience how these things handle in the snow? heh

Tucker
10-06-2003, 06:50 PM
My driveway is fairly steep so I have been practicing on that. I always manage to roll back 2-3 feet.Use the parking brake to keep you from rolling backwards while you let out the clutch. Just keep your right hand on it and hold the button in while you pull up on the lever. If you want some steep hills to practice on, come to Seattle :)

Any suggestions for other inexpensive mods?You could start by de-badging it. Does anyone really feel they need the stupid looking i-VTEC sticker? Mine's going ASAP, as well as the "CIVIC" and "Si" from the rear. Don't need them since my plate says "SI" :D

Black is an awesome color on the EP3, but it also gets run into a lot because of the stealth looks. I wouldn't want to drive one at night during the Winter monsoon rainy season here.

pedzola
10-06-2003, 07:02 PM
I'm undecided about the i-vtec stickers. At first I thought, yeah those have GOT to go. But now im lookin at them and its like.... its not THAT bad. I'm kinda worried I will screw up the paint or get 1/2 the sticker off and not be able to get the other 1/2 off or soemthing. I heard they come off with hairdryer but I'm nervous. I dont' want to ruin my new car!

I too need license plate thingies. (holder? cover? what is that called?) I handaaccessories.com has one that is chrome and just says Honda w/the H logo. Not bad... I dunno if I'm feeling extra chrome though. hehe

But yeah I'll try to stay off the road during nighttime monsoons. hehe Thanks for the tip! ;)

BlasTech
10-06-2003, 07:26 PM
Heh, any chick you can get because of your car is going to leave you for some other guys car... and that's pretty much guaranteed.

Now if you can find a chick who likes you because you dont try to impress her with your car, she's a keeper. ;)

cbecker333
10-06-2003, 08:04 PM
I'm not sure how much insurance costs. My parents have been paying insurance through college since I'm paying for school on my own. Dad says it would probably be 200-250/month for insurance, does that sound right?

I'm 22, no accidents, 1 ticket and I pay $170/month. Make sure you get a deductible thats $250 and not $500, thats just my $.02

nice choice dude

pedzola
10-06-2003, 08:10 PM
Insurance ended up bein about $200/mo for me.

BlasTech, any girl at all would be cool about now. Every chick I meet has a boyfriend. =P

Suomi
10-06-2003, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by Tucker
Use the parking brake to keep you from rolling backwards while you let out the clutch. Just keep your right hand on it and hold the button in while you pull up on the lever. If you want some steep hills to practice on, come to Seattle :)

If you do this, be sure the brake is off before you start rolling. No need to ruin the clutch and the brakes. Just practice in an unpopulated area until you are confident.

bobdobbs
10-06-2003, 10:22 PM
Every chick I meet has a boyfriend. =P

They all have boyfriends until you steal them away. :D

pedzola
10-06-2003, 10:37 PM
I tried the parking brake thing and I can't seem to get the hang of it. I stall every time w/the parking brake. At least w/o it I can get movin forward, I just happen to roll back a few feet first.

And bobdobbs, I have learned that a girl that is steal-able will just as easily get stolen by somebody else. Not worth it...

:yellm: stupid girls.

bobdobbs
10-06-2003, 10:48 PM
You'll get the hang of the parking brake. It's the easiest way to keep from rolling backwards on a hill.

About girls, remember: Chicks are like buses; A new one will be along in 10 minutes.

Dunrick
10-06-2003, 10:52 PM
Originally posted by BlasTech
Heh, any chick you can get because of your car is going to leave you for some other guys car... and that's pretty much guaranteed.

Now if you can find a chick who likes you because you dont try to impress her with your car, she's a keeper. ;)

werd

were all ok, because our cars are not impressive at all...

HONDA CIVIC..............repeat......HONDA CIVIC..........

most chicks dont even look twice at our car, maybe to wonder what the heck it is....9/10 chicks would prefer a lexus or suv.

pedzola
10-07-2003, 07:03 AM
Dunrick, I just can't stop looking at your avatar. What IS that thing? Is that like a squirrel w/huge nuts or something? hehehe

And forget girls, tell me if theres anywhere I can get JDM emblems cheaper than $70. I mean geez they are 2 little square H's I had no idea they cost so much. hehe I was thinkin maybe $20-$30. oh well.

BlasTech
10-07-2003, 07:17 AM
thats a hedgehog... kinda looks like a silver EP! front-wheel drive, too!

pedzola
10-20-2003, 02:06 PM
Just wanted to let everyone know that I'm really enjoying the EP so far. I'm at about 700 miles and it is running great. It is a fun car, no regrets. I'm getting the hang of driving stick also... although I still have some jerkiness shifting occassionally; mostly into 2nd gear (just can't seem to get the hang of 2nd).

Anyway thanks for everyones help and opinions. I have one question. I checked the oil and it seems to be a little low. Can I just top it off with some Castrol 5w-20 or do I need to call up the dealer and get a bottle of whatever is already in there?

Thanks!

PS Here we are...

http://webpages.charter.net/pedzola/car/me_ep1.JPG

andy
10-20-2003, 02:55 PM

Anyway thanks for everyones help and opinions. I have one question. I checked the oil and it seems to be a little low. Can I just top it off with some Castrol 5w-20 or do I need to call up the dealer and get a bottle of whatever is already in there?

Make sure you get a good look at the dip stick. In other words,
do it when it's nice and sunny and after the car sits for a little
while. When I first checked my dipstick, I thought it was WAY low -
turns out it's just the really light 5w20 oil collecting near the
bottom. As I looked at it closer (it was dusk/nighttime), I noticed
I was way off - the oil level was fine. And I had already added 1/2
a quart...doh!

That said, there's a fair chance your engine is consuming oil - the
K-series motors seem to do this quite frequently. If that is the
case, you're fine with just the 5w20 you find at the store, especially
if you're only adding 1/4 quart or so.

blueiedgod
10-20-2003, 02:56 PM
If you have time to go to the dealership, go there, they will top it off for free. and will make a note where you are with your oil consumtion. I am still having oil consumption problem. it is now a quart every 1500 miles. If you don't have time, add whatever 5W-20 you have on hand. DO NOT OVER FILL!!!!!

By the way, you are better than me. you already checked your oil. I found out about the oil consumption when my engine stalled and the oil and engine lights came on. I was 2.5 quarts low.

bloodzombie
10-20-2003, 03:43 PM
as for the stickers, I think a stock ep looks boring without them. maybe it's cheesey, but if you drop it and put some sick wheels on it, the car can carry itself without stickers.

pedzola
10-20-2003, 03:46 PM
Dealership is an hour drive away. Not worth my time! I will double check the oil level and throw down a bit of castrol gtx. ;) Thanks guys.

Since this is a neverending thread, here is another Question for you all... I am going to drop my EP in the spring, and I want to get summer wheels also, and keep the stockies for winter. I already decided on suspension - I will get the Mugen Sports Suspension. Looks like a sweet setup. However, I am undecided on the wheels. I really like euro-style multi-spoke rims, but I don't know who makes them, etc. What I am thinking of is something like what comes in the Focus Euro package - but in silver. (Don't be haterz.)

Other than that I was thinking maybe gold rims w/polished lip, or even black/gunmetal w/polished lip? I wouldn't put straight black/gunmetal rims on my black ep, thats just too much black.

Anyone have any suggestions as to what looks good and fits our cars? Seems like every time I see a set online that I like - they only come in 5 lug. :yellm:

Any suggestions? thanks. ;)

Zero Three Si
10-20-2003, 04:11 PM
I tried the parking brake thing and I can't seem to get the hang of it. I stall every time w/the parking brake. At least w/o it I can get movin forward, I just happen to roll back a few feet first.

And bobdobbs, I have learned that a girl that is steal-able will just as easily get stolen by somebody else. Not worth it...

:yellm: stupid girls.

If you're a pimp...you won't have to steal her...she'll want to leave him for you....so you didn't steal her...she left on her own free will.

If you're a pimp....she'll stay forever.

bao_pay
10-20-2003, 04:30 PM
The misunderstanding here is that he is talking about bitches and you are talking about hos... he wants a bitch for life and you just wnats lots of hos...

Originally posted by Zero Three Si
If you're a pimp...you won't have to steal her...she'll want to leave him for you....so you didn't steal her...she left on her own free will.

If you're a pimp....she'll stay forever.

anti-hu
10-20-2003, 04:53 PM
pedzola, i would check out rota wheels. they're fairly light, and CHEAP. www.machiii.net carries em and they have free shipping too :)

pedzola
10-20-2003, 04:59 PM
I don't know, none of the rotas really jump out at me. The only ones I kinda like are the tarmacs, but they still aren't that great. I don't know. I kinda like these http://www.machiii.net/machiii/html/wheels/ace/VIOLA.html

Anybody know anythin about that company? Ace wheels??

anti-hu
10-20-2003, 05:06 PM
someone here on ephatch has the ace of spades, i hear they make a pretty good wheel for the money.

Zero Three Si
10-21-2003, 06:33 AM
Originally posted by bao_pay
The misunderstanding here is that he is talking about bitches and you are talking about hos... he wants a bitch for life and you just wnats lots of hos...

Don't quit your day job...