PDA

View Full Version : Progress Sway Bar = Bouncy ride?

Dunrick
09-27-2003, 03:41 PM
Installed the Sway bar last night. It definitely handles a lot better in the turns. Except I notice that my ride is bouncy now. There is really no other way to describe it...It feels like my rear shocks are not working. I have Tein springs, only for about 5-6 months...Never had any problems w/ that before.

I jacked the car up on the frame piece of the car that the control arms pivot it (where the tiebar attaches in the middle of the car, don't know what its called). Then placed two floorjacks under the jack points on the side of the car.

I'm going to double check my install here in a few minutes, to make sure I didn't do the bar backwards...

I noticed the endlinks were at a more vertical position before, but with the Progress sway, they are pointing forward toward the front of the car while they are hooked up to the sways. Doesn't seem right...

I honestly don't know what is making my ride so bouncy, and I hope nothing is damaged.

Any pointers? Thanks!

Dunrick
09-27-2003, 06:04 PM
Ah found the problem. Might have been worth starting a thread for. If your a idiot like me. It is somewhat easy to install it backwards...thats what I did....

Duh! Don't do it.

Symptoms = handles better on turns, but will be bouncy over bumps.

I'm probably done some damage to my suspension too.

just an excuse to buy new stuff :)

I'll post my opinion in rate & review.

chet
09-28-2003, 03:33 AM
Glad to hear you found it so quickly. I never had any probs w/my Progress sways. You'll like the ride.

civic hatch boi
09-28-2003, 03:53 AM
you must not have your ride lowered.. i put my sway bar in backwards too.. but my rear was like way off the ground and my front was still low.

Civicvtec1ps
09-28-2003, 05:57 AM
Originally posted by civic hatch boi
you must not have your ride lowered.. i put my sway bar in backwards too.. but my rear was like way off the ground and my front was still low. he said " I have Tein springs":D

civic hatch boi
09-28-2003, 11:16 AM
haha, i didn't even read his first post. just kinda skimmed thru some of it.

Jpax
09-28-2003, 06:14 PM
:D

NamingException
09-29-2003, 05:50 AM
I installed mine last night, and my car feels pretty bouncy. I'm pretty sure I installed it the right way though. I made sure the bends were all pointing the same way as the stock bar. When you say bouncy, how bouncy do you mean? I think I might just be noticing that my rear suspension has to work harder with the bar on. What direction is the bend that connects to the end link supposed to point?

Dunrick
09-29-2003, 07:43 AM
If the endlinks are pointing at a fairly aggressive angle towards the front of the car while attached to the progress sway bar, then you got it on backwards.

You would think they could put a Left and Right sticker haha...

anyways...your ride shouldn't be bouncy at all. If it is, just take the sway bar off and flip it around...then try that. Thats what I did and I realized i had it on wrong

NamingException
09-29-2003, 09:50 AM
Oh, mine is on right then, my endlinks are pointing more toward the upper rear if I remember right. I think I'm just not used to the stiffer rear.

Thanks!

Dunrick
09-29-2003, 10:29 AM
If it continues to feel bouncy. Switch it around one day, it only takes like 10-15 minutes...and see how it looks/feels. Good luck.

NamingException
09-29-2003, 05:31 PM
I was wrong, it was upside down. An easy to make mistake, for sure. There's an easy way to tell if it's rightside up or not- there's a slight bend in the bar where it goes over the brace. If it's rightside up, the bend will bulge up, putting the bar slightly farther away from the brace than if it is upside down.

Accordexcpe95
09-29-2003, 05:43 PM
any pix? :D

NamingException
09-30-2003, 05:52 AM
I'll try to remember to take some when I get out of work.