PDA

View Full Version : Hondata pisses me off. 600 For NA mod, then you can get the FI mod for extra 795!

02SilverSiHB
09-28-2003, 07:48 AM
I went to hondata's site to see if there was any info on the rev hard turbo set up they have. Not yet, which I'm not surprised since they just worked on rock's car with the revhard turbo.

But as I was looking, I saw the RSX-S JRSC modification. I start reading and it says: "This flash program is only available to those who already have purchased one of the other Hondata reflash programs. If you already have a supercharger and do not have a Hondata reflashed ecu, you will need to contact Moss Motors for the upgrade."

Now I haven't found out how much it costs from moss to get the upgrade, but I bet it's not going to be cheap. This is rediculous. So if someone buys a 600 buck NA modification for their ecu and then get a jrsc or turbo, they'll have to fork out another 795!?

here's the link http://www.hondata.com/k20a2_jrsc_release.html

Edit: found on moss's site, they charge about the same, an extra 1296 for it

!@#$%
09-28-2003, 09:56 PM
600 is already pushing it. (past it really) It seems that Hondata is taking advantage of k series owners due to it's current "monopoly" holding on the ecu's custom progamability. There is no such thing as a good price in today's market unless the market itself is shot to hell, and/or there is more competition than expansion teams.

NamingException
09-29-2003, 05:35 AM
I asked Hondata about the turbo flash back a bit, and they said that it must be purchased through Rev Hard. I suspect that this is for two reasons, one of which is a simple business agreement, the other being that it is specific to the Rev Hard turbo.

It will be interesting to see what JR does for us with the race version of their supercharger and how/if they will offer the ECU flash. I agree, $795 for an ECU flash for your supercharger is totally out of line.

HondaMan
09-29-2003, 05:44 AM
Those kind of prices will keep me from getting a Hondata flash! :( :eek: :rolleyes:

Quicksilver
09-29-2003, 07:41 AM
Originally posted by 02SilverSiHB
I went to hondata's site to see if there was any info on the rev hard turbo set up they have. Not yet, which I'm not surprised since they just worked on rock's car with the revhard turbo.

But as I was looking, I saw the RSX-S JRSC modification. I start reading and it says: "This flash program is only available to those who already have purchased one of the other Hondata reflash programs. If you already have a supercharger and do not have a Hondata reflashed ecu, you will need to contact Moss Motors for the upgrade."

Now I haven't found out how much it costs from moss to get the upgrade, but I bet it's not going to be cheap. This is rediculous. So if someone buys a 600 buck NA modification for their ecu and then get a jrsc or turbo, they'll have to fork out another 795!?

here's the link http://www.hondata.com/k20a2_jrsc_release.html

Edit: found on moss's site, they charge about the same, an extra 1296 for it

Just to clarify a few things. Moss is not the only place that can sell the upgrade. The other JR distributors can as well. In doing a little looking around, I found one place where the upgrade was about $1100 above the street version. Another thing is that it's not just $1100-1300 for a JRSC specific flash. You're also getting upgraded injectors and a MAP sensor relocator.

With all that said, is that a fair price? Nope. Not at all. The flash should be the same as the N/A flash ($595) with the injectors running around another $200. MAP sensor relocator?!? Dunno, but it doesn't sound too expensive. So a person could surmise that the price should be $795 with maybe a $400 discount for current Hondata owners. Otherwise it just seems like they're trying to gouge you, because they know you're going to want those extra revs even more with forced induction. The fact that they'd charge more isn't really fair, but that's capitalism.

Here's something to think about though. If history repeats itself, there will likely be a "release special" with a discounted price on the race kit. I think it was around $3500 for the RSX-S owners.

Driftin SI
09-29-2003, 10:48 AM
Sorry but IMO, $600 for a NA chip is rediculous period. I could use the extra 900 rpm but not for $600. Just as a comparison, a NA VW chip costs $250 max. What Hondata is doing to the FI owners is plain bad business IMO. If you want to keep your current customers, I would be giving them a price break, not a take it in the ass break. But hey, what the hell do I know :rolleyes:

andy
09-29-2003, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by Driftin SI
Sorry but IMO, $600 for a NA chip is rediculous period. I could use the extra 900 rpm but not for $600. Just as a comparison, a NA VW chip costs $250 max...

Figured I'd throw this comparison in there as well - for $1K or less,
you can get a completely user customizable ECU replacement for your
WRX (the UTEC). It has several built in maps and you can also add
your own as you go. I cringe when I think of the $600 Hondata mod,
as much fun as it would be to have.

ATRIOT
09-29-2003, 03:31 PM
:yellm: (using the last of the monkey faces for added effect)
Get this,
Hondata flash = $600
Us exchange rate = 1.35
Hondata Flash should cost = $810 cnd
What Hondata Dealers up here are charging = $1200 cnd
Which is approx $ 890USD
-no thanks, Hondata.

02SilverSiHB
09-29-2003, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by Quicksilver
MAP sensor relocator?!? Dunno, but it doesn't sound too expensive.
it's nothing big. All you do is take the map sensor off the throttle body and put it in the intake manifold of the jrsc so it reads boost and that's where the tune from hondata comes in. I can't believe they even list that as something great. All it probably is, is something to screw into the place where the map sensor was on the throttle body, to keep from having a vacuum leak. I did this mod on my jrsc when I have a J&S Ultra safeguard. I made a little mod myself to prevent any vaccum leaks

I hope hondata sees this...if not, they'll realize it when not everyone and their uncle is jumping on their boat.

02SilverSiHB
09-29-2003, 03:43 PM
and here is an example of the modification for the map sensor. For our car, I'm sure you'd have to extend the wires, that's about it

Sensor put in jrsc to read boost

Edit, see jadetuning's pic below

dchu
09-29-2003, 05:35 PM
The map sensor relocator will probably be some plastic block-off plate. When I had JRSC on my old civic with the JR Map Controller, it came with a block-off plate that screwed on top of the throttle body. The map sensor was then screwed on top of the plate which had a vacuum/boost source from a free vacuum line on the manifold. This relocator is nothing special, probably costs $.50 to make.

Mugen_EP
09-29-2003, 06:56 PM
He's gone!:yellm:

No one deserves to be talked to that way.

02SilverSiHB
09-29-2003, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by Mugen_EP
He's gone!:yellm:

No one deserves to be talked to that way.
thanks hondaman and mugen ep for taking care of it :D I went ahead and cleaned up the rest of the replies.

dchu, yeah, that's what I'm talking about :) I can't believe hondata lists that part (map relocator) like it's something amazing

jandetuning
09-29-2003, 08:28 PM
Originally posted by 02SilverSiHB
and here is an example of the modification for the map sensor. For our car, I'm sure you'd have to extend the wires, that's about it

Sensor put in jrsc to read boost
http://www.hondata.com/images/IMG_0068.JPG

http://www.hondata.com/jrscinstall.html

The sensor you have in the picture is the IAT (intake air temperature) Sensor. Below are two pics of the MAP sensor mod:
http://www.hondata.com/images/rsx_map_relocator.jpg

http://www.hondata.com/images/rsx_map_sensor_relocator.jpg

BTW, who did the cheesy tape job on that IAT?:blushm:

02SilverSiHB
09-30-2003, 05:50 AM
Originally posted by jandetuning
The sensor you have in the picture is the IAT (intake air temperature) Sensor. Below are two pics of the MAP sensor mod:
http://www.hondata.com/images/rsx_map_relocator.jpg

http://www.hondata.com/images/rsx_map_sensor_relocator.jpg

BTW, who did the cheesy tape job on that IAT?:blushm:
LOL, thanks, sorry about that, I right clicked the wrong pic.