PDA

View Full Version : quick question about clutch disc

wtfOO
09-29-2003, 09:25 PM
so i went to honda today because my car was smelling, a burning smell. it thought it was the brake pads but when the service person drove my car, he said it was the clutch disc and that the smell will go away. but he still told me it might be the brakes. when i open my hood, the smell is somewhat strong. So, if it is the clutch disc, will the smell ever go away? Thanks for any help

wtfOO
09-30-2003, 08:09 PM
does anyone have any insight to this? It would be greatly appreciated.

oldschoolimport
09-30-2003, 11:17 PM
if your clutch is slipping or you are riding the clutch pedal causing it to slip, the smell will last as long as the disk does, not long. normally the clutch should not smell. if it is, then it is "burning" due to slippage. if you caused the slippage and you stop, the smell should go away in a day or so. hope this helps.

03jeffSI
09-30-2003, 11:32 PM
i experience like the same smell when im driving with my windows open. but then again that might be cuz my car is still new and not broken in completely yet. my baby only has like 850 miles..well good luck with the problem -jeff-

rs_1101
09-30-2003, 11:55 PM
yea.. the smell is your car telling you to stop doing burnouts lol

wtfOO
10-01-2003, 10:22 AM
haha thanks, actually, i was riding the clutch in first for the longest time going uphill, cuz of traffic, bad idea.....

rs_1101
10-01-2003, 12:48 PM
when i first got my ep i dropped it into gear wayy too much, also partial clutching.. yea. clutch smell is not good

LedFoot
10-20-2003, 03:57 PM
Hmm.. interesting. So when the clutch is pressed on too long on first it "burns" it? I notice the smell when I down shift also... slowing down to a stop. At first the dealership told me it was because it's new. I still get the smell sometimes.:o

Does this eventually effect the clutch in other ways? i.e. explaining for some shifting problems from 3rd to 4th. Not often, but once in a while. :o

wtfOO
10-20-2003, 05:12 PM
the smell does go away after time, it took around 4 weeks. but it does come back sometimes. just a faint smell but it goes away. i dont think it effects shifts from 3rd to 4th...but im not sure.

VIZHUNZ02SI
10-20-2003, 05:23 PM
i've experienced that too
but now i get this grind noise when i release the clutch when its in gear. so one told me my clutch is slippn. i think it is due to the fact that when im at a stop light and the light turns green there a little squeck /whistle noise that come from the tranny

rs_1101
10-20-2003, 11:10 PM
well ill tell yall all i know about clutches..
if u dont know, but im sure u do, its the big round shoe that connects ur tranny to the ground by gripping the tranny. as far as i know its basically a big plate

when its new, it needs to be broken in and smoothed over so when u first get ur car, it wont grip as good, and itll burn from time to time, depending on abuse.
REMEMBER burning is caused by friction, anytime u try to go into gear at higher rpms, and let the clutch out slowly u create this friction, also, riding the clutch at stoplights with the car in 1st gear will wear out ur clutch cuz as long as its in gear, the clutch still contacts the tranny plate or whatever.
after a few thousand miles ur clutch will get broken in and it should be alil harder to burn, but in general, try not to partial clutch, i guess dropping hte car in gear is aite to an extent, cuz i do that daily and i have no burning problems..

i know my analysis may not be using quite the correct terms but the basic idea is there.. any input is appreciated.

LedFoot
10-21-2003, 07:36 AM
rs_1101:

Makes sense to me. That's what I get for being a new driver. :o But I've gotten better- so no riding on the clutch for me no-mo'.

rs_1101
10-21-2003, 09:34 AM
yea the ep is my first manual drive car.. and besides the lil problem with the clutch cable (ask your local honda dealer bout that) ive gotten waay better at drivin that thing

priest6479
10-21-2003, 03:35 PM
I feel for ya man, this is also the first 5 speed I have ever owned.
So here's my question for ya, I usually let off the clutch a lil slow when taking off from a light so the car doesn't jerk, so when shifting into second should I let it slip a little or just sorta let the clutch out quick, If I let it out quick there's that lovely jerk beck into the seat, if I let it slip it doesn't jerk the car.

So what is better for the car?

I feel sorta dumb but I wanted to get some opinions.

rs_1101
10-21-2003, 07:57 PM
yea that 2nd gear is a gnarly lil thing

its better for the clutch to drop it in quicker cuz the less time the flywheel spins against the clutch the better, but it shouldnt make too much diff.. i let it rub alittle when im startin off the line, its alot friendlier on my neck.. :D but shifting into 2nd, u should really try to match the tachometer rpm with ur speed so u shouldnt have to jerk much,
generally i dont think ull wear ur clutch much if ur in normal traffic, but in stop and go, and more demanding driving, u might burn ur clutch alitte.
watch some gt racing sometime, they drop gears like mad, theyre cars jerk like none other. but i feel ur pain, cuz when i got passengers, they dont know what gear im bout to hit. it keeps wusses from driving wit me lol

chubbychu
10-21-2003, 08:09 PM
how much is a replacement clutch? the way i drive, i dont htink mine will last long

VIZHUNZ02SI
10-21-2003, 08:17 PM
im getting a stage 3 act clutch
for 350
and labor is 300

chubbychu
10-21-2003, 08:25 PM
is that the cheapest "performance" cluthceS?

VIZHUNZ02SI
10-21-2003, 08:51 PM
u want cheap get factory or go to auto zone
u want performance well you gotta spend some in order to gain

rs_1101
10-21-2003, 11:30 PM
factory isnt exactly cheap.. honda rips ur sh*t off man. they want over 200$ for the midpipe/resonator section new. man i cant even sell mine for 20$ on ebay lol

priest6479
10-22-2003, 04:51 AM
Thanks, I was beginning to wonder if I was just shifting like crap or not, When my girl is in the car, her head just sorta bobs around, kinda funny, like one of those lil taco bell dogs, cept her head aint on a spring :D
but she whines about it.

Most times I don't really notice or care about a lil jerk into second but you are right,it is a pain in the ass gear.

rs_1101
10-22-2003, 08:36 AM
yea when u shift, ur passengers are always gonna bob once or twice. what u dont want it ur car rebounding like a spring.. one quick jerk is all u should have in a shift

priest6479
10-22-2003, 08:43 AM
Yeah no springing action going on, just a lil jerk here or there. I notice that when I shift while accelerating it jerks, like when taking off from a light and racing someone else. But just casual crusing, I don't notice much of a jerk.