PDA

View Full Version : Q on running car after long term storage

2k2SiAutoXer
10-01-2003, 11:24 AM
well, here is the scoop. as everyone knows, im in iraq right now. when i get back im april i am taking my car out of storage, it will have been sitting for 1 year with out even being looked at. its indoor storage so it will stay dry but it will get cold in the winter. When i stored it i changed the oil and filled the tank with hi test fuel and added an octane booster. radiator fluid was laso topped off. my queston is, when start it and drive it for the first time, what kind of precautions/service should i do. where i stay is about 40 mi from the lot where it is stored. thank guys!

--Tom

SmoothOperator
10-01-2003, 11:33 AM
You should've parked it on some sheets of plywood, or jacked it up. Your suspension might be a little rusty because your wheels absorb moisture though the concrete. I did a whack of research on this, cause I store my car each winter.
Also, your battery might die. Unless you took it out and hooked it up to a tender. I went a little over a month without starting it, and the damn battery had died last year.

As for precautions when starting it. I think the best thing to do, is just fire it up, and let it sit for 15 min. Let everything lube up, and allow any moisture to get out of your exhaust, before you go tearing around in it.
Hope that helps. I'm no expert, but just talking from what little experience I have.

2k2SiAutoXer
10-01-2003, 12:07 PM
well, im not going to worry about the suspention too much, i dont plan on keeping the stock suspention too long after i get back! The battery is disconnected bu I am sure that there will be ways to jump it when I get back because there are going to be many of us picking up cars at that time.

--Tom

bobdobbs
10-01-2003, 12:21 PM
Year-old gas isn't the greatest for your engine. It should probably be okay, but it will probably run like shiat until you put fresh gas in.

Your tires will probably have a flat spot that will go away after a few miles on the highway.

I'd probably pour half a quart of oil in the head just to get some oil up there, assuming your engine has the room for it.

Zero Three Si
10-01-2003, 01:11 PM
There is this stuff called "sta-bull" you should have put in your gas before you left.

I put that stuff in my lawn mower and snowblower when I store them for a season.

Basiclly it preserves the gas. Fill up your tank and add some of that stuff in there and let the engin run for 10-15 minutes.

I know it's too late now to do that...but you never know when there might be a next time.

siver-SI
10-01-2003, 06:43 PM
First just check over the engine. When they sit for a while some times a gasket can get dry and leak a little. The oil on the head is a good idea. When you do take it out run it for a while. That way you can get all the moisture out. I would run the heater too just to get it out of the inside too.

I just hope you did not flat spot the tires. This can happen when they site for a while and some time driving a litte can help but some time if the bands just sit wrong you have to get new tires. :(

Most of all your brakes are going to suck bad for a little while. So keep your distance. You have to get all the moisture out of them and get all the rust off there and this can take a while. I know my grand-am after sitting for about a month took about 2 days before the brakes felt right again.

mrfixit687
10-01-2003, 10:29 PM
flush your brake system

Zero Three Si
10-02-2003, 07:12 AM
Originally posted by 2k2SiAutoXer
well, here is the scoop. as everyone knows, im in iraq right now. when i get back im april i am taking my car out of storage, it will have been sitting for 1 year with out even being looked at. its indoor storage so it will stay dry but it will get cold in the winter. When i stored it i changed the oil and filled the tank with hi test fuel and added an octane booster. radiator fluid was laso topped off. my queston is, when start it and drive it for the first time, what kind of precautions/service should i do. where i stay is about 40 mi from the lot where it is stored. thank guys!

--Tom

Where are the keys at? Have a family member start her up and take her for a weekly drive. If not you can tell me where the keys are and I'll take her for a "weakly" drive.:cool:

2k2SiAutoXer
10-02-2003, 09:03 AM
i would love to let someone get out and drive it everyonce in a while but the car is in government lockup on a military base in colorado and my family is all in jersey. The leasing company could not even get to the car if they wanted to. Only me or my next of kin (only if i die) can get to the car. Thanks for the advice on the brakes. I really hope i dont have to spring for new tires RIGHT when I get back. Oh well, at least i will have the cash.

--Tom

blueiedgod
10-03-2003, 02:00 AM
I think octane booster will do most of the damage. It is based on Toluene and Xylene, very strong solvents. Prolonged axposure may melt the plastic, if there is any in the fuel pump or the fuel tank. If you did not pour engine oil into the heads through spark plug holes, it may have corroded.

I'd say, start her up and let her idle for 10-15 mins at low RPMs just to lube everything. Do and oil change after that, and try to use up all of the gas, before it gells up.

Tires will definately have flat spots, unless you overinflated them before leaving.