PDA

View Full Version : first time in 00 Si..

grooveline
09-07-2002, 09:36 AM
let me tell you, that engine is a beast. I love the sound when around 6 grand that Vtec hits and it all just "wahhhnnnnggg!!" fricken unbelievable.

I wish our engines did 8000 rpm... now everytime I drive, I think about how bad they nuetered us with the K2...

pooey

SBC31
09-07-2002, 10:21 AM
Maybe, but I don't like the 00 Si's since they are not hatchbacks. They should have made them in a Hatch then.

Regardless, I love my 02 SiR much better then any other Honda Civic.

nikkotyper
09-07-2002, 11:25 AM
Yeah. The low redline is the only thing bugging me especially because the engine feels great at 7k and it still pulls strong. At my last AutoX I kept hitting the limiter (and thus wasting time...) But, I hope some cams+corresponding chip will be available soon. I wonder if those Type-S cams will fit us? Any experts that might have a take on that? But, which ECU would we use then? The cams would be useless unless we raised the rev limiter in the ECU? Am I right?

BoricuaSi
09-07-2002, 11:50 AM
It's a matter of waiting till there's more parts. I want a N/A setup and want to tackle the heads as soon as there's after market parts for them. Then we'll have the low end torque and higher redline. I hate having to wait...

GhettoSamurai
09-07-2002, 12:12 PM
Hondas are High Rev Engines at least untill the K20 showed up.
It seems to me Honda is getting more Americanized in their Technology. The k2 Engine revs lower but gives more torque, but has a bigger engine, so now it loses the Horsepower per Liter it was once was famous for. Then the K20 in the RSX Type S is 200 HP. I still kinda trip though, 200 HP out of a 2 liter engine at that level is good but the B18 Type R was pushing 200 HP as well, but with a slightly smaller engine.

Both are good and bad trade offs, on one side the new engines get more Tourque, the olds ones get more HP per liter.
The older generation Torque problem can be slightly increased by CLutches and built internals. Though I agree that the low RPMs in the engines are annoying. My friend just got his k2 Si and he mentioned it redlines too fast, and it appears that it revs higher than my B16a2.

Although with that said and done it is better than having some 5.0+ Liter engine barely getting 280 Horespower. hehe
:D

You should hear my engine hehehe .
"Whomp whomp whowow whomp..."

Sometimes when it idles it sounds like a big block Chevy idling even though it is not as loud as the Chevy hehe.

MagusDC5
09-07-2002, 12:14 PM
Hondas are High Rev Engines at least untill the K20 showed up.

Wrong. Only the K20A3 is low rev. K20A2 goes to a posted 7900 but can be reved to 8200, K20A can go to a posted 8400rpm who knows what the limiter is on that baby.

That is one of the ONLY reasons I went with the Type S over the EP3.

I cannot give up an 8k redline. Nothing sounds better(cept for a BOV) than the needle sweeping past 5k and your engine sounds like its gonna blow up(specially if your motors built to go above 8k) :D

GhettoSamurai
09-07-2002, 12:25 PM
Is it true or not that all Honda before k20 reved high and have redlines that are past what the k20s have.. ..

Allright then :)

High Revs is where the power comes from on these engines.

JSIR
09-07-2002, 12:39 PM
this engine could pull strong to 7500 easily if the ecu permitted it, too bad that would have made a big difference. One thing you have to understand is that the vtec point on the k20 is at the perfect intersection of the two power curves, so you get a smooth transition. If you were able to move the vtec point up to 5500 or 6000 rpms you would notice the popular vtec pull much more. On the 99-00 Si the perfect vtec point was around 4900-5000 rpms where the two power curves intersected, when I set the vtec point there the transition was almost unnoticeable, smooth transition. It doesn't "feel" as fast but the car is actually faster at that point, compared to an abrubt vtec transition. Also the difference between low cam torque and high cam torque is much more different on the 99-00 Si, the torque curve on the 02 Si is very flat and even, so you dont feel much of a transition in the higher revs. Although I do miss a higher redline. I was revving my 99 SiR up to 8600 rpms using a CTR ecu, that was very fun, it would indicate almost 9000 rpms on the tach. You wouldn't believe how many times I ran into the rev limiter when I first drove the 02 SiR, Oh well those days are gone :p

David K.
09-07-2002, 12:43 PM
Shit ya'll it's not THAT low. Granted it's not 8400 but it does spin to like 7100 or something. Maybe I'm a little more impressed than ya'll since I'm a former 5.0L/LT-1 owner. And personally I'm glad to see Honda finally gave us some displacement to work with. As cool as the 1.6Ls are, they just seemed so stressed, especially when you started lashing turbos and whatnot to them. I personally feel that given enough time the K20 will be proven superior to the B series motors in every regard.

SVTNate
09-07-2002, 01:12 PM
I'm with David K. on this one, I'm a current domestic owner and have never owned a Honda, so the Si's redline is okay with me. I welcome the extra displacement and torque, I think that when all the proper parts are available people will see more power than any of the B-Series motors.

02blksi
09-07-2002, 01:16 PM
"Yeah. The low redline is the only thing bugging me especially because the engine feels great at 7k and it still pulls strong"

GREAT point nikko!!! I was out on a spirited drive today after washing and waxing my car, and i was thinking to myself that the god damn revlimiter feels like it kicks in way to early. You dont even get the feeling that the car is working hard when it kicks in, power delivery is really smooth, and it feels like it has not reached the "plateau" were any further rpm would result in power loss, man i hope something in the aftermarket will spring up and enable some higher revving. --joe

Mr.02BlackSIguY
09-07-2002, 02:15 PM
dont worry... theres going to be a ship out there that let us rev past 6800k. we just gotto wait.

MagusDC5
09-07-2002, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by GhettoSamurai
Is it true or not that all Honda before k20 reved high and have redlines that are past what the k20s have.. ..

Allright then :)

High Revs is where the power comes from on these engines.

No. The D series redline where the K20A3 did- and they are in Most Honda cars. Im pretty sure the H22 in the Prelude is also 7krpm redline.

All of the K series are high revvers- except for the A3 in your car and the Base RSX, minus the K24 in the CRV.

nickw252
09-07-2002, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by grooveline
let me tell you, that engine is a beast. I love the sound when around 6 grand that Vtec hits and it all just "wahhhnnnnggg!!" fricken unbelievable.

I wish our engines did 8000 rpm... now everytime I drive, I think about how bad they nuetered us with the K2...

pooey

I'll trade you my 00 Si for your EP3 :D :D :D

And correction Magus, the H22 in Prelude VTEC's rev's to 8000, however the H23 in the Prelude Si (non VTEC, DOHC) only reved till 6800.

JSIR
09-08-2002, 07:52 AM
the h22 vtec Prelude motor revs to 7400 redline.

MagusDC5
09-08-2002, 09:33 AM
And correction Magus, the H22 in Prelude VTEC's rev's to 8000, however the H23 in the Prelude Si (non VTEC, DOHC) only reved till 6800.

I knew something sounded fishy. You are wrong!

http://www.texasdirectauto.com/tda/temp/DCP_8043.JPG

JSIR
09-08-2002, 09:56 AM
= 7400 rpms ;)

CleanBlackSi02
09-08-2002, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by JSIR
= 7400 rpms ;)

My Prelude revved even higher with no trouble.... I miss my H22.