PDA

View Full Version : GRM 2k2 Si project

1fastminivan
09-08-2002, 12:26 AM
I dont know how many of ya'll have seen this yet but here is a pic of the recent intake system on the GRM Si. They didnt post dyno chart or HP gains on the site. Hopefully they will later. It looks pretty neat how they did this intake.

JSIR
09-08-2002, 07:56 AM
pretty effective way of getting extra air, but I wouldn't run the breather filter like that, they should have incorporated it back into the intake tube.

02blksi
09-08-2002, 08:10 AM
thankyou thankyou thankyou,!!! WHERE did you find that picture, i was on the GRM website and they posted how the made a shit load of power with their intake (then it showed a picture of larry from comptech with that blue filter in his hand, but it didnt show the final picture of their "modified intake".).NOW i know.. and i will do the same. Looks to me like its a hacked piece of the old iceman intake system, conical filter with an open top, blue brake ducting?.. Now where does it suck the air from? hmmmm maybe behind the fog lights ??:confused: BUT thankyou for posting this, i will be making another homemade CAI and posting some pics!!! --joe

BTW: JSIR why would you want to run that back into your intake? i sure as hell wouldnt, go outside drive around the block then stick your finger in that opening,notice anything? yup thats right OIL! and where oil is you can be damn sure its going to get all over your intake system throttle plate,manifold, valves etc. Thats why if you dont like the breather that kn makes (still leaks oil)CUSCO makes a catch can that basically filters out the oil into a bottle instead of in your intake. The only reason why they even have a crankcase breather is because of #1 emissions, believe it or not the gases that come out of it (made while the engine is running)if left opened is a violation of EPA standards. #2 it relieves any pressure that is built up by the normal engine operation. Soooo its not really beneficial to incorporate it back into your intake, but hell its up to you.. IMO- joe ;)

JSIR
09-08-2002, 08:32 AM
it's kind of a long story, I've had many disagreements about this in the past. but it is my belief that Honda motors like pressure on the upper cylinder head to help keep crank vapours flowing through the normal recirculating system. Which in turn keeps your oil rings operating properly. I haven't had too much time to look at the system on this engine, it looks to be a little different than past B-series motors. I'd like to get my hands on a shop manual soon just to be sure. An oil catch can system would be preferrable to just an open system IMO. There are many different opinions on this, but my money is on keeping the stock system operating as intended. I've used those breather filters on other engines and didn't like the results.

On ClubRSX guys were having major engine bogs when they were using Injen intakes, and they were finding that the breather tube wasn't connected tightly on the intake tube. They used a different clamp on the tube and apparently the bog went away for some reason, that seemed to happen to quite a few guys on that board.

miamijdm
09-08-2002, 09:29 AM
did you guys notice that the intake is where the battery was?.. He had to have moved his battery to the rear of the car.. I know its no big deal, but im not going to move my battery just for an intake.. but thats me.....:)

JSIR
09-08-2002, 09:41 AM
yeah they moved the battery to the trunk area, to better balance the weight of the car as they are using the car in auto-x events which is the main purpose of the project. Most people would not do that however.