PDA

View Full Version : 5-lug vs. 4-lug

tony speed
10-06-2003, 02:45 AM
So, I'm reading an article posted in discussion and it says you'd never find a type-r motor with 4 lugs. ??? How essential is the 5 lug bolt pattern? Is this really essential for high horsepower or can one get away with 4 lugs and be safe?

chunky
10-06-2003, 02:52 AM
Originally posted by tony speed
So, I'm reading an article posted in discussion and it says you'd never find a type-r motor with 4 lugs. ??? How essential is the 5 lug bolt pattern? Is this really essential for high horsepower or can one get away with 4 lugs and be safe?

in a race situation, 5 lug would be preferable. Mainly b/c it improves the reliability of the car under cornering stress.

If you don't competitively race, then it's mostly a waste of money unless you just have to have a certain 5 lug wheel.

tony speed
10-06-2003, 04:10 AM
Very interesting....I had planned to race maybe, but I'm not sure if I'll ever get around to auto-x. And by time I'm finished with my car, I'll be in some rediculously super-modified car auto-x level...and I'll perpetually lose.

Are you going to go 5 lug since you auto-x?

BlasTech
10-06-2003, 11:17 AM
Im not going 5-lug for auto-x. Most of the guys on the Honda Challenge series roadrace with 4-lugs. Though my EP weighs a bit more than most of those cars, I think it'll hold up... and if it doesnt, well, that'll be my excuse for converting...but not as a preventative measure.

chunky
10-06-2003, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by tony speed
Very interesting....I had planned to race maybe, but I'm not sure if I'll ever get around to auto-x. And by time I'm finished with my car, I'll be in some rediculously super-modified car auto-x level...and I'll perpetually lose.

Are you going to go 5 lug since you auto-x?

auto-x? nope. If i was gonna be in like, speed world challenge where there was money to be won or lost, i'd spring for 5 lug.

But lug failure is so uncommon to begin with that it's not a major concern at all. The only real difference really boils down to if you have 5 lug, you can lose 1 lug and still have four left, if you have 4 lug, and you lose 1, you only have 3 left. you can finish a race easily on 3 lugs.

tony speed
10-06-2003, 04:04 PM
thank you for this clarification....sometimes the rice hype is strong

Dunrick
10-06-2003, 09:31 PM
only thing cool about it, is not every honda can jack your wheels and slap them on your car....

except now the dc5's are all 5 lug...so honda might be going that direction...since most of their cars are getting heavier in general

rbloedow
10-08-2003, 08:25 AM
Anyone know if the spacing on the 5-lug Si's is the same as the accord's? I think an Si would look awesome with the 17" 6-speed accord's wheels.