PDA

View Full Version : your honest opinion

fkagti
10-06-2003, 05:41 PM
imagine you have the choice to either turbo-charge or supercharge your ep. which would you do?

02TafWhtSi
10-06-2003, 06:10 PM
Turbo - more options for larger power gains.

pLopSI
10-06-2003, 06:12 PM
superchager for more reliability and to avoid turbo lag.

Civicvtec1ps
10-06-2003, 06:20 PM
Supercharger for same gain as turbo if possible. jackson racing sc doesnt impress me.:yellm:

513n179
10-06-2003, 06:23 PM
in my opinion, i'd say neither... if i raced my car, then sure i'd consider one of the two, but i don't. most of my driving is on the street and freeway, so i think i'd spend my money on something else.

black handers
10-06-2003, 07:05 PM
personally i'd go the n/a route, but if i had a choice between a supercharger and a turbo....i'd choose the supercharger.

bobdobbs
10-06-2003, 07:08 PM
S/C. Easier install, cheaper hardware.

IownAmaxima
10-06-2003, 07:25 PM
turbo... same mileage as n/a until you mash the gas and use 'wasted' exhaust instead of adding more drag to your engine

chubbychu
10-06-2003, 07:27 PM
well now lets see, i would get turbo if i didnt really care about the life of my car.

i would get supercharger if i just wanted some fun while keeping the ep for as long as possible. OR i would swap a k20a2 for that matter

JR03si
10-06-2003, 07:30 PM
I would go with the supercharger. In the long run it's more reliable, you don't get the annoying turbo lag, you get much better instantaneous low end power, and like bobdobbs said it is an easier install.
I realize that there are more limits to achieving huge power gains from a supercharger vs that of a turbo, but I believe that it's benefits outweigh those of a turbo. To be honest though I'd be perfectly happy with either one right now if I had the money.:D

BlasTech
10-06-2003, 07:46 PM
Not that I'd be at all unhappy with either one, but I'd prefer the consistency and longevity over the top end potential... I'd take the supercharger.

shimmy_yaz
10-06-2003, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by JR03si
I would go with the supercharger. In the long run it's more reliable, you don't get the annoying turbo lag, you get much better instantaneous low end power, and like bobdobbs said it is an easier install.
I realize that there are more limits to achieving huge power gains from a supercharger vs that of a turbo, but I believe that it's benefits outweigh those of a turbo. To be honest though I'd be perfectly happy with either one right now if I had the money.:D

yeah what he said:cool:

DyNastySi
10-06-2003, 08:20 PM
I ask myself this question everyday. I juss dont know. I dont find myself in situations to where I need a turbo anymore. I stop going to the night scenes and track a while back. Whenever I do need that extra umph, the s/c would be better for me for those rare occasions I have at a light. At this point I juss feel that a turbo isnt worth it for the kind of driving I'm doing. Then everything changes when you talk to your boys and they tell you your never going to be happy with the s/c. Your juss gonna want more. (sigh):confused:

Loudpedal
10-06-2003, 08:24 PM
Supercharger. I'm looking for more low end grunt, easy install, no headaches.

DumbNewB
10-06-2003, 09:11 PM
Doesnt the supercharger eat up your gas like crazy?

Dunrick
10-06-2003, 10:50 PM
Supercharger doesn't mean your car will last longer than turbo. Turbo can be tuned to hardly effect the cars life...if its tuned right...

The supercharger is less of a hastle, and has no lag. Plus sounds cool. IMO

Both awsome...

Mugen_EP
10-06-2003, 10:52 PM
Dunny really wants a turbo and so do I so two more votes go to the Turbo camp.

furious
10-07-2003, 05:08 AM
Here it is....which ever I saw 1st for sale 'when' I have the $$$$.$$

no really, a turbo...because my big bro would help me install and tune it like his 86 Supra (which never had a turbo kit build for)..this would be the only way that I would learn all about my own ride cause I don't trust no one other than my fam and maybe a few of you guys on here:D

good luck

anti-hu
10-07-2003, 06:10 AM
neither, but i would try pouring white grain rice into the gas tank, i hear that gives you +60 hp. :winkm:

SilVic
10-07-2003, 06:18 AM
Sure, supercharger is no lag, but it also depends on which turbo. People with Greddy says there's no lag so, there's turbos with no lag either. Then you compare performance, turbo all you have to do is make a T-valve from stuff from Home Depot, then turn up the boost; supercharger, you have to buy a bigger pulley, belt, etc. Both the S/C & Turbo, you'd have to get a fuel system upgrade anyways. In the long run I think turbo is better, plus you have a wide variety to BOVs to 'slap' people with. ;)

Dunrick
10-07-2003, 07:43 AM
"BLooww Off Vaalves aawwwwwwwww huh uh uh uhu hu h uh uh uhu"

esmith13
10-07-2003, 12:17 PM
so, in reality then....

It's a question of weather or not you prefer....

Pfffffffsssssssstt!

or

Sounding like Knight Rider's KITT

At least, that's what this discussion seems to be leaning towards....

Eric

EPHatchgirl
10-07-2003, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by Mugen_EP
Dunny really wants a turbo and so do I so two more votes go to the Turbo camp.

Make that 3.:)

EPHatchgirl
10-07-2003, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by esmith13
so, in reality then....

It's a question of weather or not you prefer....

Pfffffffsssssssstt!

or

Sounding like Knight Rider's KITT

At least, that's what this discussion seems to be leaning towards....

Eric

:D That's friggin hilarious. Well in that case, I don't want a turbo, I want PSSSSSH... put me down for that.

MasterVTEC
10-07-2003, 12:32 PM
sorry to be of the subject and all but do they even make a supercharger for the EP yet????

JCSC OR any other if their is?

esmith13
10-07-2003, 12:48 PM
Yes, they make one - JRSC...

Can u buy it before some time in November (i believe)???

... NO.

But it does exist. Has for a while.

Eric

EPHatchgirl
10-07-2003, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by esmith13
Yes, they make one - JRSC...

Can u buy it before some time in November (i believe)???

... NO.

But it does exist. Has for a while.

Eric

APPARENTLY... it exists....:confused:

fyzm7357
10-07-2003, 08:16 PM
I would take the SC....less headaches, more realiable, less complex....(for me anyway...I know absolutly nothing about Turbos), but I would really prefer the NA route in the end...

ep pilot
10-07-2003, 08:28 PM
Supercharger for clean install, less hedache, more usable range, reliability.

Turbo if you won't be keeping this car very long, higher trauma risk on engine and perifial parts, due to heat swamp caused by exsessive heat bathing from the turbo unit itself, non-oem manifold etc...

Live in California where smog compliance might be an issue, like nice midrange to top end power, but don't mind sluggish starts.

I personally will be going J/R supercharger, I want reliability first and foremost, secondly, more power from engine when hauling people and have the A/C on... A turbo would not work in this case as driving "good" when friends & family are in the car, would bring about noticible lag. The supercharger is always on.

-Ryan

andy
10-07-2003, 08:29 PM
First, I'm curious as to how many of the people who voted 'SC' because
of 'turbo lag' have ever driven a turbo'd car. I think turbo lag is
highly, highly overrated. Take a drive in a WRX, SRT-4 or even EVO and
see how much the lag really bothers you.

Second, as cool as having a 40-50hp bolt on supercharger would be, how's
it going to feel to spend nearly $4K and only improve your 1/4 time
by 1 second or less? If I'm spending $4K, I'm getting a turbo kit and
getting into the mid 13s. And I should still be plenty fast enough
for auto-x.

eurosteez
10-07-2003, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by andy
First, I'm curious as to how many of the people who voted 'SC' because
of 'turbo lag' have ever driven a turbo'd car. I think turbo lag is
highly, highly overrated. Take a drive in a WRX, SRT-4 or even EVO and
see how much the lag really bothers you.

Second, as cool as having a 40-50hp bolt on supercharger would be, how's
it going to feel to spend nearly $4K and only improve your 1/4 time
by 1 second or less? If I'm spending $4K, I'm getting a turbo kit and
getting into the mid 13s. And I should still be plenty fast enough
for auto-x.
really true. turbo lag is nothing at WOT. :m:

I vote for the ppppppppssssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. cuz then you can hang with srt-4's. stooooopid ass turbo neons :m:

abstrack
10-07-2003, 09:32 PM
turbo me up babay! psssshhhhh..:D

wat kinda sound does a SC, make never really heard one? sound clip anyone?

esmith13
10-08-2003, 06:27 AM
makes a high pitched, subtle, mechanical/vacumm whine sound. Imagine the sound knight rider made... That's dramatic overkill, or similar to WOT on a SC'd car.....

Eric