PDA

View Full Version : Hawk Brake Pads Saved My Arse Tonight....

JSIR
10-07-2003, 06:47 PM
Well I was on my way to a meeting this evening running a bit behind, cruising down a country road about 60 mph, darkness was just arriving. Was kinda just day dreaming when I seen an animal crossing the road in front of me no more than 100 feet, I then seen a second one crossing behind it and a third one just about to cross onto the road behind the second one. It turned out to be three large deer.

I hesitated from braking too hard as the first one appeared to be making it safely across, but then I seen the other two trailing behind so I stomped on the brakes hard. My first instinct was that I would peg at least two of them head on - they were tall bastards so for sure they would have come onto the hood or windshield. But the car just decelerated like mad, within the last 10 feet the ABS came on and then the car just stopped about one foot from them. The damn deer just freeze in front of you, after I came to a stop they proceeded to move again.

I was amazed that I came away from that without any incident. There is no way the car would have stopped that quickly on stock pads. I've been running Hawk HPS pads since June of this year, and these things just paid for themselves ten times over. Damn I can't say enough about them. You dont notice the pads much in terms of initial bite, but they allow you to decelerate at an increasing rate the harder you push on the brake pedal, the car just decelerates faster and faster until you come to a full stop - no fade. The first 50 feet of braking I was shitting my pants expecting to hit at least two of them. But the last 50 feet of braking the car just delerated like mad and I was shocked that I was able to come to a complete stop. With the stock pads the rate of deceleration goes flat after about 50% brake pedal, and fade sets in. These Hawk pads are so confidence inspiring after experiencing something like this. You dont appreciate them on a daily basis as much as you do under hard braking. I did one track event this year with these pads, but didnt brake this hard at the track. I'm just running the HPS compound and it is more than ample on a street driven car, and can handle a light track day as well. If anyone is looking to improve the braking capabilities of their car these pads are awesome. Just over $100 US for a full set of pads on all fours, best money you will spend on your EP.

Just thought I'd share that.

Joey

bioevolve
10-07-2003, 06:50 PM
Those work good with cross drilled and slotted rotors?

JSIR
10-07-2003, 06:56 PM
The Hawk HPS compounds work well with slotted and drilled rotors for sure. These are the street light track compound, they arent noisy and do not damage the rotors at all, and no rotor warpage. You can move up to the HP+ pads which are a better track pad but they are very dusty, somewhat noisy and can wear rotors more quickly.

I didn't post to say these are the best pads around as some people will swear by porterfields, carbotech, axxis etc..., but I have a new found respect for good quality brake pads when you know they just saved your arse.

Joey

andy
10-07-2003, 06:58 PM
Where'd you buy them from?

ep3guy
10-07-2003, 07:04 PM
Nice.. glad to see both you and your car are fine. I got the same brake pads but haven't put them in yet. I probably won't be putting them in till my stock pads are out.

JSIR
10-07-2003, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by andy
Where'd you buy them from?

I ordered mine from Tirerack online, you have to order the front pads from a 99-00 Civic Si application, and the rear pads from an RSX application. But they are a perfect fitment. I think the 2001 Civic EX uses the same fronts as ours as well.

Joey

civic hatch boi
10-07-2003, 07:13 PM
nice... i was planning on getting some axxis ultimates. those rock like mad!! but the initial bite of those are so strong. its like.. driving- brake - whiplash.

JSIR
10-07-2003, 08:01 PM
The Hawk HPS pads have similar initial bite to the stock pads, which is good as the stock pads have decent initial bite. The Hawk pads really accel at hard braking situations and fade free operation. For street driven daily use cars its hard to get a balance between a number of variables. Cold temp braking, dusting, noise, initial bite, rotor wear , pad wear, and brake fade must all be juggled in developing an aftermarket pad.

Joey

chunky
10-07-2003, 10:11 PM
yes, good pads are critical!

I've had my ass saved many many times over by my aftermarket pads.

The porterfield r4s pads I had were good, and the new performance friction pads I have are just jaw dropping. they tripped the ABS with about 80% pedal pressure while I was going 80mph. Keep in mind I have yokohama avs es100's in 225/50/15. Stock pads can barely trip the abs going much faster than 30mph.

I don't really mind the noise from these pads. . . and there's a lot of dust, but the stopping power is just amazing. And it just gets better and better the hotter the pads get. They'll be perfect for the track day in Nov @ road atlanta. :D