PDA

View Full Version : The EP chassis (Yes it's heavy but there is some good to that)

B18CXr
10-08-2003, 05:44 AM
I know our kars are heavy but........

Notice how you can totally "disturb" it and still open/shut the door

(I jacked the drivers rear corner up till only the passenger front tyre was on the ground, both doors opened perfectly fine =) Never in a million years would my EG do this)

http://www.p1auto.com/jack/pictures/epchassis.JPG

and a short vid to show...enjoy

http://www.p1auto.com/jack/movies/epchassis.MPG

1abSi
10-08-2003, 05:57 AM
yeah i have noticed the same thing as my previous car was an EG as well...still wish the car was lighter..or at least had a stronger engine....or i had the money for one:p

DyNastySi
10-08-2003, 06:18 AM
What kind of work were you getting done? Or were you juss jacking it up to show us?

B18CXr
10-08-2003, 06:34 AM
What kind of work were you getting done?

was just bored @ the shop this morning....

JSIR
10-08-2003, 07:01 AM
the torsional stiffness of this new chassis is awesome, those subframe supports are huge compared to past Hondas.

pedzola
10-08-2003, 08:24 AM
Hey where do I get one of those EPHatch stickers you have on your car? :blushm:

BlasTech
10-08-2003, 08:30 AM
I havent got the new grassroots yet, but I got the impression from the preview that they are going to spend an article poo-poo-ing the EP's weight. I think the EP is going to have remarkable longevity.

On a side note B18CXr, I have those same wheels in silver, but with smallish 205/50/15 Azenis. Your fatter Yokes do fit the car much nicer, but do you think they wold fare as well grip-wise as a smaller set of azenis?

Im guessing the difference is that the contact patch is somewhat larger than the Azenis, the wieght is somewhat less or nearly the same as Aznis, but what about the sidewall stiffness? Have you done anything that would induce some rollover, or a "flex delay"?

I just like the natural looks of that size, but I dont want to kill my auto-x performance for it.

B18CXr
10-08-2003, 08:54 AM
Azein sidewall is much stiffer than the es 100

JSIR
10-08-2003, 12:41 PM
I dont really find the EP all that heavy just look around and see what other cars weigh. Our car has been reported as light as 2650 lbs up to 2800 lbs depending on what you read. Just a few years ago an ITR at 2560 lbs was considered light as hell by auto enthusiasts. The old GSR's were 2800 lbs, Preludes topped 3000 lbs or more, the 99 Si was 2650 lbs, an s2000 is 2800 lbs. . So i really dont find it overly portly. Of course a little less weight is always good but we arent sitting too bad IMO.

Grassroots mag highlighted the weight of the Si as a drawback but they are talking autox details in that article and any older Civic rules in autox. To be honest the civic they were comparing to the Si looked like piece of junk, the engine was crappy, it just had some decent suspension and tires/rims. The car was really quick in autox because it is light, very low to the ground (center of gravity) and short wheelbase. Those traits rule in autox. Not really a good comparison , the Si against a national scca champ.

B18CXr
10-08-2003, 02:08 PM
FYI

my SI BUS sits @ 2734 lbs with aftermarket wheels (lighter) and K24 (heavier)

JSIR
10-08-2003, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by B18CXr
FYI

my SI BUS sits @ 2734 lbs with aftermarket wheels (lighter) and K24 (heavier)

that sounds about right, I've yet to see any Si that has been weighed to be at 2800 lbs which they reported the car to weigh. Every weight Ive seen shows the car lighter than what has been reported.

Assuming the lighter weight wheels offset the heavier block, that car is only about 80 lbs heavier than the 99-00 Si. not bad.

blueiedgod
10-08-2003, 03:17 PM
my 88 prelude is kind of like that, when i jack up the right front the right rear wheel comes off the ground too. and the doors open freely. But I think our body still has more torsional rigdity.

STP03BlueSI
10-08-2003, 03:48 PM
Thanks for the info. Yea i know how it is being bored at a shop...happens to me all the time

RiceCzechs
10-08-2003, 04:43 PM
The new 'Roots indeed pans the Si's suspension, high CG, and weight as being culprits for its performance against older models in auto-xing, but they do make an effort to explain that that doesn't mean it can't be a strong competitor (particularly on a local/regional level), it just needs some work.

That said, virtually all of the safety features and creature comforts that have been lavished on newer designs (like our EPs) are inherently detrimental to competitive racing. Putting an EP on a serious diet, tightening up the suspension and lowering the CG will help a great deal.

Nevertheless, I think older Civics like the one featured are inherently better equipped for auto-x than our EPs...

siver-SI
10-08-2003, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by blueiedgod
my 88 prelude is kind of like that, when i jack up the right front the right rear wheel comes off the ground too. and the doors open freely. But I think our body still has more torsional rigdity.

Take a look at the 88 and the EP with the bracing under it. You will see that the EP has a lot more under it. But I can not complain about my 88 prelude. So far I have hit a cement wall at over 30mph head on, got broadsided on the drivers side at about 40mph, got slamed on the right rear quarter going into a turn and a car got into my rear quarter panel (this cause the broadside). After all this the car is running great and I just needed about $200 in parts go fix a radiator and some suspention parts.

Incase you are wonder this is a race car that is on a 1/3 mile track and I am on there with about 15-20 other cars at the same time. The car is all stock and no role cage.