PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning the inside winshield

LsVtecStolen
10-08-2003, 09:42 AM
Do any of you guys know any good products/techniques to clean the inside winshield? I tired some Stoner's products and a terry cloth, but still ended up with streaks. Also I noticed a "cloudy" build-up of crap on the inside winshield.. bothers the heck out of me:mad: Well, any suggestions would help. Thanks guys

klubhedsi
10-08-2003, 10:10 AM
Well i clean it with windex and a old t shirt.

sniperSI
10-08-2003, 10:49 AM
just use a soaked towl in waater, and 2 dry towels

make a square on one side of the windshield, fill in, square other side, fillin, grab the first dry towel repeat, then grab 2nd try towel, repeat (can you tell i was a detailer?) Unless you got some really bad gunk on your windsheild, then use 2 parts water 1 part windex.

Sb00
10-08-2003, 11:16 AM
Stoners Invisible Glass works great... had to stick my hand up and hit the sunroof glass since it looked like it was open...

davidc81
10-18-2003, 08:13 PM
dont use a ammonia-based glass cleaner on your car. if you get some overspray on your plastics, it may damage the surface. i think honda recommends using a diluted vineger solution to clean your glass but if you wanna buy something, stoners invisible glass works great. also try drying your windows with some old newspaper, it wont leave any lint on your windows plus the ink acts like a glass polish. dont do it too often though, you might have birds flying into your windows! :smilem:

goy091
10-18-2003, 08:21 PM
Originally posted by Sb00
Stoners Invisible Glass works great... had to stick my hand up and hit the sunroof glass since it looked like it was open...

this is the best stuff ive used so far, picked it up at Kragens and i am totally impressed.

Brettnyt
10-19-2003, 01:58 AM
Originally posted by goy091
this is the best stuff ive used so far, picked it up at Kragens and i am totally impressed. What do u wipe the windows with? I tried newspaper, paper towels, etc and i still get streaks... :(

rs_1101
10-19-2003, 11:09 PM
i cleaned my inside windows with nothin but a terrycloth towel, dry and soft to get rid of cloudy buildup. i think its air pollution, cuz i used to smoke in the car

i-WERKS
10-20-2003, 07:05 AM
If you wax your car, use the cloth that you used to removed the wax to clean the inside of your windows. You'll be surpised how well that works.

Zero Three Si
10-21-2003, 09:37 AM
Best solution for cleaning windows....use any glass cleaner...but take it off with a balled up piece of newspaper.

Mighty_Mouse
10-29-2003, 10:26 AM
Does the newspaper trick still work? I was told that it used to work, but now that newspapers are printed with soy inks, that it's no better than anything else. Something about metallic flakes in the old inks that made the newspapers work very well for cleaning glass.

I also use the Stoners Invisible Glass. You'll have to clean the inside of the windshield more than you would think when the car's new because of the off-gassing from the plastics in the interior.

Zero Three Si
10-29-2003, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by Mighty_Mouse
Does the newspaper trick still work? I was told that it used to work, but now that newspapers are printed with soy inks, that it's no better than anything else. Something about metallic flakes in the old inks that made the newspapers work very well for cleaning glass.

I also use the Stoners Invisible Glass. You'll have to clean the inside of the windshield more than you would think when the car's new because of the off-gassing from the plastics in the interior.

Newspapers work like magic!!

jerky
10-29-2003, 10:59 AM
newspapers work good on the outside.

what i use on the inside is nothing more than a t shirt. i don't use windex or anything. i just use the t shirt and rub hard. but then after a few more weeks the cig smoke film starts to build up again so i go back to the handy t shirt.

BarracksSi
10-30-2003, 02:48 PM
That's just what I was going to say.

I used a dry rag just two nights ago (it's easier to see the window haze at night) to clean the inside of my windshield. The rag is one of several that I had bought to buff wax, and it's basically plain, 100% cotton.

There was zero streaking, because there was no sprayed-on cleaner to wipe off. And, with glass being so chemically inert, whatever the haze was made of hadn't bonded to the glass at all, and was wiped away with simple rubbing.

The thing is, I don't smoke, and nobody has ever smoked in my car. I'm guessing that the haze in my EP comes from the plastics & adhesives used in the interior. The same thing happened regularly in my '86 Civic.

The reason why newspapers work so well is that they're pretty much lint-free, and they never get "old" and full of garbage like an old rag does.

ANDYWlovesHONDA
11-06-2003, 10:44 AM
Yea man i went to nopi a month or so ago and i got the Stoners invisible glass and that shit works great dude. I dont get streaks when i use it. Anyways your best bet would be the newspaper deal. If not then just kill yourself man.jk:confused:

FreakSoft
11-09-2003, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by ANDYWlovesHONDA
Yea man i went to nopi a month or so ago and i got the Stoners invisible glass and that shit works great dude. I dont get streaks when i use it. Anyways your best bet would be the newspaper deal. If not then just kill yourself man.jk:confused:

Nopi is the blue stores, right?

NamingException
11-10-2003, 06:40 AM
Somebody with a 2001 Civic called into Car Talk about this issue this weekend. They told her that they thought it was from outgassing of all the plastics in the dash, etc. I'm not sure if I buy it though.

BarracksSi
11-10-2003, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by NamingException
Somebody with a 2001 Civic called into Car Talk about this issue this weekend. They told her that they thought it was from outgassing of all the plastics in the dash, etc. I'm not sure if I buy it though.

I buy it. I've never smoked in any of my cars, and haven't let anyone else smoke in them either. Yet, after some time, that light haze always appears on the inside surface.

Those fumes from the plastics & glues inside the car don't just have an odor -- they also carry a bit of substance that's going to stick to surfaces in the car. It's most visible on glass, of course.

I think some manufacturers do a better job at producing plastics & glues that smell decent enough, and others (80's Fords, for example) that just give me a damn headache every time I ride in one.

NamingException
11-11-2003, 09:14 AM
The slimy haze only shows up on the inside of the windshield though, not on the other windows... I guess the fact that the huge dashboard and all that plastic is right underneath it could cause that. Also, shouldn't the plastics only be able to outgas so much? My car is a year and a half old, 28k miles, and I still get that annoying buildup, although it might not be as bad as it used to be.

BarracksSi
11-11-2003, 10:24 AM
My first '86 did that when it was eight years old. Heck, my second '86 (an Si) still does it to some extent, I believe. Yes, it's not as much, but it still happens.

ImolaS54
12-03-2003, 08:05 PM
use any glass cleaner w/ towels, newspaper, etc i've tried them all and all seem to produce the same results. Turn on your cars AC and the defog function for the front while wiping down the cleaner....this seems to help lots.

if you have the time, best way to clean the interior glass without streaks is use a glass Polish, such as ziano bro's/griots garage/etc polish and clean your glass and it never leaves any streaks.

the haze u see if from the plastic inside the car, it's going to happen for a long time so learn to live with it :)

william
12-03-2003, 08:19 PM
P21S has a special wipe just for interior buildup. I know what your talking about a "haze" or "fog" that builds up on the interior glass. The wipes work great.