PDA

View Full Version : Blow Off Valve

vtecnrg
10-08-2003, 02:34 PM
After alot of waiting my Greddy Turbo will be installed tomorrow. Apparently the Type S blow off valve that I ordered is on back order with Greddy. The shop is offering me a HKS sequential blow off valve instead. Here are my questions, 1. How is a sequential bov different 2. is it better, the same or worse 3. will it work on our cars 4. does anyone have one? I performed a google search but did not much info. Any feedback would be appreciated since I need to make a decision by tomorrow at lunch. Thanks.

super_si_45
10-09-2003, 06:19 PM
hey man, the hks is just as good as the type-s, in fact when the intercooler is released for our cars, i am going to switch from the type-s to the hks ssqv, imo the hks is better, looking, sounding, etc., etc., your gonna get the same pressure relased on both, u will need an aluminum flange from hks to weld to though for your charge piping

vtecnrg
10-18-2003, 02:57 PM
The HKS sequential bov has been installed. It sounds very good and is surprisingly loud. I wish they had installed it in a more visible place b/c it sure is pretty. As it sits it is closer the firewall on the drivers side and you kinda have to look for it. But I think sound is more important for day to day driving. I think since it sits back so far that I get blow off valve noise exiting through the drivers side wheel. On a scale from 1-10 I give it a 9+.

super_si_45
10-19-2003, 05:02 AM
told ya bro ;)

kcx23
10-19-2003, 10:26 AM
I have a blitz blow off valve in my rev hard kit and it is really low pitched, it does not sound like the usual loud whip. If anyone knows how to change the pitch of this BOV please help me out. Its still loud, but it sounds like 3 low pitch whips in one when releasing the gas pedal. thanks,KC

87gn
10-19-2003, 05:38 PM
bovs are suposed to serve a perpose, not sound pretty. esh now i remember why i refuse to run a bov.

vtecnrg
10-19-2003, 06:10 PM
I said it looks pretty. I believe its "perpose" is to sound mean.:mad: And of course it is not bad for the turbo either. ;)

87gn
10-19-2003, 06:18 PM
dunno about that, i think a turbo car sounds meaner with out a bov, mutaint pigonish.:mad:

Kis4KEN
10-19-2003, 10:40 PM
no really, wut is the difference between sequential and not sequential blow off? is just sound? performance difference? plz inform noobie to turbo

super_si_45
10-20-2003, 02:05 PM
ummm, actually u do need a blow off valve, and if ur running an aftermnarket turbo without one, ur a damn idiot, (no offense) over time, without a bov, the stuttering sound u hear without one, will eventually wear the seals out of the turbine wheel, damaging the turbo requiring rebuilding or a new one, but im sure u already knew that, thats what turns me on aboutcha, ur attention to detail

87gn
10-20-2003, 07:45 PM
ummm, actually u do need a blow off valve, and if ur running an aftermnarket turbo without one, ur a damn idiot, (no offense) over time, without a bov, the stuttering sound u hear without one, will eventually wear the seals out of the turbine wheel, damaging the turbo requiring rebuilding or a new one, but im sure u already knew that, thats what turns me on aboutcha, ur attention to detail

BUT, you dont need a BOV on a automatic car, show me a stock gn with a factory BOV and ill hand over my keys.

infact, the only gn owners that run BOVS will admit that its just for showing off. theres very few of us that actually need them and ALL of those own twin turbo stage 1 or 2 motors.

autos shift so fast that theres no need for a bov, the only time i force the air back threw my compressor (flutter sound) is when i want to scare people walking down the road and/or kids in there moms kias:D even at the end of a WOT pass i can ease off the gas and advoid it.

super_si_45
10-20-2003, 08:08 PM
lol, who would boost an automatic car???
hahahahahahahahahahahahah!!!!!!!!!

oh and for the record, stock cars do come with bov's their called pressure relief valves, does a mitsbushi eclipse gst ring a bell? nice try though

now wheres my keys?

87gn
10-21-2003, 07:53 AM
lol, who would boost an automatic car???

several people like buick and high hp supra owners, do you think that those guys with 1000 hp supras are still running the stock trannys? try a gm automatic.

btw, i said stock GN, as in buick grand national. you MIGHT want to do alittle more research before you get OWNED on the street by some black grandmas car. if your lucky his turbo will blow half track because of now bov:rolleyes:

sniperSI
10-21-2003, 08:19 AM
Once you have so much power, all shifting does is slow you down.

K-Series
10-21-2003, 08:24 AM
Originally posted by super_si_45

oh and for the record, stock cars do come with bov's their called pressure relief valves, does a mitsbushi eclipse gst ring a bell? nice try though

Most of the time they use a DV (diverter valve) to vent the excess air back into the intake. Most manufactures don't vent excess to the atmosphere but back into the system. That's not a BOV, so no keys for you. :)

super_si_45
10-21-2003, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by 87gn
several people like buick and high hp supra owners, do you think that those guys with 1000 hp supras are still running the stock trannys? try a gm automatic.

btw, i said stock GN, as in buick grand national. you MIGHT want to do alittle more research before you get OWNED on the street by some black grandmas car. if your lucky his turbo will blow half track because of now bov:rolleyes:

my mistake, i didnt know we were talking DOMESTICS here, after all this is EPHATCH.COM, not americanmuscle.com, but since u got such a "badass" grandma's car, i gotta little domestic sittin in the garage, GURANTEED to hand ur little hatin ass to u? want some? didnt think so, ok, with that little biiioootch outta the way, i can get back to real discussion :mad:

EPHatchgirl
10-21-2003, 07:45 PM
My fiance has a stage three civic hatchback -EK9- that is auto.... ya never know- you CAN put a race auto tranny in- even in an import.

We both have the HKS SSQV and love it, hope you do to!

super_si_45
10-21-2003, 08:05 PM
i know, i know, just a little personal issue of mine, i hate autos, some love them, nothin personal, im prolly gonna switch to the ssqv when i get the fmic, so my type s will be for sale if anyone is interested pm me

87gn
10-22-2003, 08:08 PM
my mistake, i didnt know we were talking DOMESTICS here, after all this is EPHATCH.COM, not americanmuscle.com, but since u got such a "badass" grandma's car, i gotta little domestic sittin in the garage, GURANTEED to hand ur little hatin ass to u? want some? didnt think so, ok, with that little biiioootch outta the way, i can get back to real discussion

i know, i know, just a little personal issue of mine, i hate autos, some love them, nothin personal, im prolly gonna switch to the ssqv when i get the fmic, so my type s will be for sale if anyone is interested pm me

i can tell you dont know much about cars so ill go slow for you, whats being a domestic, oh excuse me "DOMESTIC", have to do with any thing? its basic turbo theory. what works for a import works for a domestic and vice versa. you MIGHT want to own a turbo car for more then 1500 miles before you even "try" to act like you know wtf your talking about. until then you might want to stop posting stupid shit before you make your self look like a even bigger fool. the second reasion that i know you dont know much about cars is the fact that you hate autos, what, are they not as "fun":rolleyes:

my next little "personal" issue is your little comment about the domestic setting in your garage. oHHHHHhhhh please:rolleyes: im in VA and your in texas, i thaught only 13 year olds said stupid shit like that but sence your so "thuggin-it" right now ill post my dyno and you can post yours, how about that?

super_si_45
10-22-2003, 09:01 PM
ur in va

nuff said pussy

vtecnrg
10-23-2003, 07:53 AM
Since I started this post here are my thoughts. I believe that 87gn is attempting to "stir the pot". Most if not all of his comments are controversial and do not seem to add to this conversation. I know people like this and I have learned over time it is just best to ignore them. Getting hooked into their comments or thoughts only seems to add fuel to the fire.

I like ephatch because people for the most part like to help and it is also a great place for information. Thank you to everyone who makes ephatch a great place to visit.

esmith13
10-23-2003, 08:16 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't 87gn's point be valid that there's no reason to hate on auto's with turbos???

I was of the impression that taller gearing kept you IN boost longer and that auto trannys with less gears by default had taller gearing...

Yes, and auto tranny in the same car as available in stick MAY have a slightly lower top speed, but racing and speed is all in acceleration, not max speed...

a slush box sux to most N/A peeps for the features that make it awsome for boosted applications, no??

Eric

esmith13
10-23-2003, 08:35 AM
Oh, and it may be too late to be worth it but here's a sound clip of a Greddy Type S BOV runnin under 8 lbs of boost.

I mention that because it sounds different based on your boost level.

Here (http://65.168.247.56/ephatch/GreddyTypeS.wav)
It's a .wav file

Eric

sniperSI
10-23-2003, 08:41 AM
Originally posted by 87gn
i can tell you dont know much about cars so ill go slow for you, whats being a domestic, oh excuse me "DOMESTIC", have to do with any thing? its basic turbo theory. what works for a import works for a domestic and vice versa. you MIGHT want to own a turbo car for more then 1500 miles before you even "try" to act like you know wtf your talking about. until then you might want to stop posting stupid shit before you make your self look like a even bigger fool. the second reasion that i know you dont know much about cars is the fact that you hate autos, what, are they not as "fun":rolleyes:

my next little "personal" issue is your little comment about the domestic setting in your garage. oHHHHHhhhh please:rolleyes: im in VA and your in texas, i thaught only 13 year olds said stupid shit like that but sence your so "thuggin-it" right now ill post my dyno and you can post yours, how about that?

haha owned.

Aye super si and vtec i like you both but calm down and don't be so senstive we're talking about cars not barbies.

vtecnrg
10-23-2003, 10:37 AM
we're talking about cars not barbies.

Dude your right sometimes I just get a little sensitive :'( . BTW the whole reason I own a car is to get the barbies, or at least that is the reason I first wanted a car.

Back to the topic. I think the HKS is a great choice for those who are interested in bov. Also, IMHO I like manuals but I can also always drive a good automatic faster. My wife's CL is an auto and it is awesome.

super_si_45
10-23-2003, 03:16 PM
i apologize

sniperSI
10-24-2003, 08:21 AM
aww i can feel the love oozing all over the place.

FCobra94
10-25-2003, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by sniperSI
aww i can feel the love oozing all over the place.

Hehe. Silly dumbestic owners ;)