PDA

View Full Version : honda warranty...

rs_1101
10-08-2003, 06:45 PM
aright guys the dooky hit the fan at my house. after a week, my maw finally caught on that the car was an inch and a half lower. tein springs.
i got the car aligned and its all good but camber is negative by like 3.8 deg in back and 3 in front. not quite honda specs.. so my mom got all pissed about warranties. so im gonna get a camber kit and i was wondering:
if camber and alignment are all in spec for honda will they honor warranty on all parts but the aftermarket springs and doesn anyone know if i can get this in writing..

my parents are too anal..

Dunrick
10-08-2003, 06:52 PM
No worries dude...springs are nothing

just keep your stock ones incase you have to sell the car...

andy
10-08-2003, 07:09 PM
Originally posted by Dunrick
No worries dude...springs are nothing

just keep your stock ones incase you have to sell the car...

What he said. No car company can 'void' a warranty because of a part
you put on your car, unless they can prove that your modification
caused the problem you are having. Even then, they can't deny your
whole warranty, just the warranty on the part that needs replacement.
Example: If your shocks blow, they probably won't warranty them. If your
steering wheel falls off, you can get that warrantied.

rs_1101
10-08-2003, 10:45 PM
oh i know taht. what im really curious about is if my struts will still be covered with springs.. even when i get the camber back to honda spec. lol. im not actually this anal i reiterate. my damn rents are puttin me up to this.. lol

bobdobbs
10-08-2003, 11:22 PM
If your shocks blow, you pay for it. Camber kit or not. Mom's right.

rs_1101
10-08-2003, 11:32 PM
damn.. well my next question.. just how good is the suspension in the EP.. as far as reliability.. lol. any complaints?

bobdobbs
10-08-2003, 11:38 PM
Stock, the suspension is fine. If you lower it with stiffer springs, your shocks have to work harder with less travel to keep up with the higher spring rate. They will give out relatively quickly. If you get 1 year on them before they do, that would be pretty good.

rs_1101
10-08-2003, 11:42 PM
well im rollin on tein s techs, which arent much harder than the stock ones, its just one and a half inch lower

chubbychu
10-08-2003, 11:55 PM
so its now how much lower they go but rather how much stiffer they get?

bobdobbs
10-09-2003, 12:07 AM
It's both. Shocks need to dissipate heat from friction and do it by moving a piston through oil. If you shorten the length of travel, the shock isn't able to use it's entire range of motion, so it doesn't dissipate heat as well. Increasing the spring rate compounds the problem by requiring that the shock react faster, creating more friction that the shock is less able to deal with.

03EP3Si
10-09-2003, 05:52 AM
My shocks went 4 months after i lowered my car 2inches with H&R sport springs....so theres my experience.... i need to replace the shocks..any recommendations?

fsugatorbait
10-09-2003, 08:23 AM
Originally posted by 03EP3Si
My shocks went 4 months after i lowered my car 2inches with H&R sport springs....so theres my experience.... i need to replace the shocks..any recommendations?

You have two options, get koni or get a full coilover.

03EP3Si
10-09-2003, 11:10 AM
i was thinking about the koni's.. ive made up my mind now.. thank you!:D

todaCspec
10-09-2003, 11:31 AM
One word, MUGEN!
Made by Honda, for Honda.

chubbychu
10-09-2003, 06:16 PM
how much are stock shocks? i know they arent covered if its the springs fault,

andy
10-09-2003, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by plainol2k2si
how much are stock shocks? i know they arent covered if its the springs fault,

Hrm...the site I'm looking at doesn't seem to identify shocks - just
'coil springs' and 'struts'. The springs are about $50-70 for reference.
My 'guess' is under $100 apiece.

Personally, I know a guy at my local Honda service dept. He told me
that as long as I didn't "slam" the car, they would probably warranty
my shocks if they blew.

rs_1101
10-09-2003, 09:08 PM
dammit. wheres the tech from hardin honda at? i really gotta know cuz my rents just jacked my car and they gonna raise it up now. wayy not cool. i really gotta kno if my shocks will be covered with a 1.5 inch drop.

03EP3Si
10-09-2003, 09:44 PM
Not for nothing but if you lower your car and you shocks go.... why would you ever want to put the stock shocks back in??? they will only break again.. thats just my two sense..:D

bobdobbs
10-09-2003, 10:54 PM
Originally posted by rs_1101
i really gotta kno if my shocks will be covered with a 1.5 inch drop.
Come on, use some common sense: If you were a service manager and somebody came in with aftermarket springs and blown shocks, would you replace the shocks for free? In fact, the first question they're going to ask you when you tell them your shocks have failed is "do you have aftermarket springs?" When you say "Yes" they're going to tell you it's not covered. They don't care if it's only a 1.5 inch drop.

03EP3Si
10-12-2003, 10:47 PM
Yeppp Thats pretty much the case...

DavidT
10-12-2003, 11:00 PM
Here's an EXACT quote from my owner's manual, page 136:

"Do not remove any original equipment or modify your car in any way that would alter its design or operation. This could make your car unsafe and illegal to drive.

For example, DO NOT make any modications that would change the RIDE HEIGHT of your car, or install wheels and tires with a different overall diameter.

Such modifications can adversely affect handling, and interfere with the operation of the car's anti-lock brakes and other systems."

I'm guessing Honda won't cover your shocks if they blow. My local Honda dealer told me that any modification to the motor will void it's warranty. I know it differs from dealer to dealer (I'm an entry level Honda tech) but I totally understand the dealer's view when some kid brings in his Honda with all sorts of bolt ons and complains about noises or check engine light problems...it's not gonna be covered. :p