PDA

View Full Version : Any engine vendors out there that finance?

Rey
10-08-2003, 08:00 PM
Anyone know of engine vendors who will finance a K20A????

Damn I want that engine. But I looked around to take out a personal loan for it and all I qualified for was for a 3000 dollar
loan at 30%!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Any ideas or suggestions would be very much appriciate it.

P.S, the main reason for my search is because I test drove my friend's girlfriend's RSX Type-S, and the feeling that gave me as it pinned me to the seat was AMAZING!!!

bobdobbs
10-08-2003, 08:05 PM
Why not use a low-interest credit card? It's not a great idea, but it's a lot better than a loan with 30% interest.

Rey
10-08-2003, 08:22 PM
Argh, I might as well fight the urges and save up, but this will not stop me from looking at a payment plan. Any other suggestions? BTW, thanks for your suggestion.

klubhedsi
10-08-2003, 09:22 PM
How old are you?30% wow are you 18 or something?

Rey
10-08-2003, 09:25 PM
21, and I don't know why it's so high. I don't have bad credit, but I don't have good credit I guess. In order to get a good deal on the EP, I had to do the lease perchase thing deal. Horrible, but I do intend on purchasing the car after the lease term of 4 years.

andy
10-08-2003, 09:41 PM
Probably 30% too because it was short term and not like a home equity
or anything...

Anyway, at any rate, I say hold your horses. For one, with any turbo
kit, you're going to need tuning/dyno time as well as a new clutch
and possibly flywheel. And a LSD wouldn't hurt, either. So there's
an extra $2K, easy. Give your car some time - it may turn out that
in a year or so, we can get some good N/A power out of this motor,
or that A2's will drop in price and a swap will get you where you
want to be. Or even turbo prices will drop. In any rate, I say wait -
the final cost of the turbo/massive upgrade isn't worth it right
now, IMO.

EDIT: What in the world was I thinking. For some reason, I thought you
wanted to go turbo. Heh. Either way, to really get an A2 kickin' you'll
need cams and Hondata, which still raises your $3K+ price tag. And an
LSD still wouldn't hurt, either. ;)

Rey
10-08-2003, 09:44 PM
Thank you for that breath of freash air. I just need to collect myself and steal my friends car again :D :D :D

But any rate your right I am jumping to conclutions. I guess I can just save up money for my ride.:winkm:

andy
10-08-2003, 09:56 PM
No problem. Trust me, I'm in the same boat - I'm away on business and
while I'm out here, I essentially get an extra paycheck, just to cover
expenses. A turbo/swap is very tempting, but just running 13.9 or
14.5 isn't going to be enough if I spend all that cash.
Plus, I think I'm done with the straight line route and I'd personally
like to get into autoX/road courses more. Oh, and try to save some
precious $$$ while doing so. ;)
(Besides, the RSX-S isn't really that impressive, torque wise. If you
were swapping for a mustang cobra engine, then I might say go for it ;) )

!@#$%
10-08-2003, 11:34 PM
when i went to my bank to crunch numbers about a loan for the EP, they offered me 8% for $17K. I'm 20 and have perfect credit. After I pay my card off (next couple months), I WILL be in the market for a k20a2, however I will be purchasing the toda engine kit to go along with it. If the bank offered to loan me a lump sum of 17K, I dont see how 5,500 or so would hurt.....(swap, toda, clutch/flywheel)

I will do all the work myself, and plan on taking an technical automotive course this spring since I have all spring to take classes that will not go for core curriculum.

I just hope I can find a used k20a2 for about 3 grand....not gonna be easy.

BlackFL2k2Si
10-09-2003, 12:51 AM
Hold your horses. Just save up your money, because you definitely don't want the threat of having to pay back a loan resting above your head. I would love to take out a loan so I can S/C my A3, but it would just be a dumb financial decision.

todaCspec
10-09-2003, 06:01 AM
Another alternative would be to buy a sport 600cc motorcycle. Most can do high 10 seconds on quarter mile stock. Your need for speed will stop real fast, although most due tend to upgrade to 1000cc.

BlackNRedSi
10-09-2003, 06:14 AM
Take out a personal loan from your local bank if you want the engine...

I would save up first if i were you...but if you want the engine...I say personal loan! :)

Zero Three Si
10-09-2003, 07:26 AM
Open up a discover/visa card that offers like a 9.9 interest rate. Or a card that has no interest for a year or a card that overs 1-3% cash back.

Make 200-300 payments a month.

blueiedgod
10-09-2003, 08:13 AM
Originally posted by Rey
Anyone know of engine vendors who will finance a K20A????

Damn I want that engine. But I looked around to take out a personal loan for it and all I qualified for was for a 3000 dollar
loan at 30%!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Any ideas or suggestions would be very much appriciate it.

P.S, the main reason for my search is because I test drove my friend's girlfriend's RSX Type-S, and the feeling that gave me as it pinned me to the seat was AMAZING!!!

Are you sure they offered 30% APR and not 30% Financing? Two different things. I don't think they can go over 22% APR, as there are laws to protect consumers. While 30% financing is not as good as 80% or 100%, it is still manageable. At 30% financing you would have to come up with $900 out of pocket and they will finance $2100.

I would suggest you wait until your warranty expires and then do a swap.

02SiHB
10-09-2003, 09:41 AM
My God. Financing a MOTOR?! (espically for something so trivial) Are you stupid, or just plain retarded?

Zero Three Si
10-09-2003, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by 02SiHB
My God. Financing a MOTOR?! (espically for something so trivial) Are you stupid, or just plain retarded?

Sounds a bit silly to me too....but to each his own...

todaCspec
10-09-2003, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by 02SiHB

LOl!

bloodzombie
10-09-2003, 12:55 PM
Financially, it's a terrible idea.. but damn it'd be fun.

bobdobbs
10-09-2003, 01:08 PM
Why is it such a terrible idea financially? It will probably end up being cheaper in the long run than if he had bought an RSX-S and I'm sure most people on here would be all for that. If the guy wants to upgrade and he can swing paying another hundred bucks a month, why not? It's for HIM to decide if it makes sense.

Rey
10-09-2003, 01:23 PM
Dang, you think I can sue for 30% APR on my loan? I took a personal loan for the down payment of my car for 1000 dollars and they are charging me 30% APR. I mean come on??? 30%???? I put 500 cash, plus my old corolla and plus that 1000 dollar loan for my car.