PDA

View Full Version : throttle body bypass

rs_1101
10-08-2003, 10:47 PM
alright i just learned about this. im kinda confused tho. does it give any gains? whats the point?

oldschoolimport
10-08-2003, 11:06 PM
it has been discussed before, but, heres in short. the coolant goes through the throttle body to keep it from freezing wide open in cold weather. bypassing keeps the throttle body cooler. cooler air is denser=more power. down side is in cold weather, the throttle body butterfly could freeze wide open and blow up your engine or kill you and others.:D

rs_1101
10-08-2003, 11:19 PM
i live in cali sooo.. i dont think thats a worry.

03EP3Si
10-09-2003, 05:22 AM
I live in Ny so im wondering...hmmmmmm maybe.. maybenot..:rolleyes:

rs_1101
10-09-2003, 08:16 AM
yea i was going through old threads.. looks like theres not much to really be gained by this, cuz if u disconnect, it only means u start up idle for longer

XSquigyX
10-09-2003, 08:44 AM
Originally posted by oldschoolimport
it has been discussed before, but, heres in short. the coolant goes through the throttle body to keep it from freezing wide open in cold weather. bypassing keeps the throttle body cooler. cooler air is denser=more power. down side is in cold weather, the throttle body butterfly could freeze wide open and blow up your engine or kill you and others.:D

Somehow I doubt that while the engine is running at operating temperature, that the TB would be able to freeze in the WOT position. It stands a chance of freezing shut which means you have to let you car idle up to opperating temp in order to thaw the butterfly but I see no safety issues with that. :)

oldschoolimport
10-09-2003, 07:24 PM
manufacturers test these things. they are built for ALL possible climates. the premise is based on the same reasoning as wind chill factors. if you are going 65mph, in sub 0 temps, the underhood temp will be lower than the operating temp of the engine due to air flow. the intake draws air from the side of the radiator that is sub freezing. cold air usually has moisture. it is sucked down the intake piping and as it continually flows over the butterfly, the butterfly gets cold (like your hand in front of the ac vent). in moist cold climates, the butterfly could freeze due to air speed, moisture, and expansion of tolerences within the throttle body. I am not saying that it would, but the automakers feel that it is a good enough chance that they spend the time and money to prevent this from happening. warmer climates would probably never have to worry about this, but these cars are also sold in canada and alaska, so they all have a throttle body coolant hose. make sense.