PDA

View Full Version : Any luck removing your O.E. airbox for servicing w/ out scratching it?

ep pilot
10-09-2003, 04:09 PM
I've just turned 19K miles today and thought it would be a good idea to check my oem air filter element. Well my question is this... is there anyway to remove the factory air-box without scratching the assy up. I tried to take as much precaution as possible. Loosened all of the screws first. Completely removed the hose that feeds from the valve cover to the air box, then tried to swing it away very slowly. Dimensionally the box will not clear the, clutch & brake reservoir brackets nor the heater core line mount in the back. I have scratched the box on the heater core mount & the clutch reservoir mount trying to remove this unit carefully...... has anyone had better luck???

I guess it's finally an excuse to run a short ram now...

-Ryan

bratkat64
10-09-2003, 04:16 PM
Nope, I had the same problems.

You can see some scratches in this pic:
http://rancidracing.com/alesiaimages/IM000724.JPG

ep pilot
10-09-2003, 04:24 PM
Thanks for the pic, hey I want to ask you a different question though.... I am looking into a SRI, but only want to get one that is smog legal.... does your AEM have the smog exempt sticker on it or no? I hate the thought of having to take the unit off and on everytime for inspection. I had a CAI on my old GS-R and it was a pita to have to un-plug and totally prep the car for inspection because it didn't have the sticker.

-Ryan

Peking
10-09-2003, 04:30 PM
http://www.injen.com/intake_page/is_sample.jpg

"IS Intake System
The IS series is a traditional, underhood intake system that is placed in the stock location of the factory air box system. Each system is built from 6061, T6 aluminum alloy to ensure the lightest design possible. Every IS system is certified or pending by the California Air Resource Board and backed by Injen Technology's limited lifetime warranty.

A. 6061 Aluminum Alloy
B. Tig welded aluminum vacuum ports
C. All stainless steel clamps and Injen's specialty hose
D. Injen's urethane Air Filter with built in velocity stack"

Stright from the site http://www.injen.com/intakes_v3.html#is.

AEM says "Every AEM air induction system is individually tuned in length and diameter, and features the highest standards of construction

Vivid-Cruz
10-09-2003, 04:31 PM
who cares if the factory box is scratched?? maybe it will decrease its 50lbs worth of weight.. and aem is CARB pending .. but what service will u need ?? 5 yrs til smog...

Peking
10-09-2003, 04:32 PM
I like Injen better though...

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid73/pf8e9f01795b366c8634b1026755aaf38/fb7190fd.jpg

It's dirty in that pic.

Peking
10-09-2003, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by Vivid-Cruz
who cares if the factory box is scratched?? maybe it will decrease its 50lbs worth of weight.. and aem is CARB pending .. but what service will u need ?? 5 yrs til smog...

I don't think it weighs that much, and smog tests depend on where ya live.

Jon

Peking
10-09-2003, 04:35 PM
Also, don't be hatin on the man cause he cares about damage. I did it too when installing the new intake.

ep pilot
10-09-2003, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by Vivid-Cruz

Dude I get pissed when theres lint on the seats, personal pet peeve, sorry that bugs you. I like every part on my car to stay new. I've had my o.e. hood painted twice yet, because of rock chips from the highway. I guess it helps I work for a bodyshop though.

-Ryan

icegrill
10-09-2003, 08:45 PM
This was covered awhile ago, anyway for all the anal retentive crowd here's what you do: 1. Loosen the coolent hose bracket behind the cover with a 10mm 2. Place tape on the top of the box and sides. 3. Put a shop rag in between the metal "schrapenal" sp? holding the brake fluid reservoir and the airbox. 4. Gently pull the lid up and then forward. I'm dumb.

nando707
10-09-2003, 08:52 PM
iam the same way ep pilot very pickey with my sh*t.

oldschoolimport
10-09-2003, 08:58 PM
I managed to get mine out without scratching it, but honda scratched it for me during my 9000mi oil change. but, who else are you gonna get to change hot oil for minimum wage but a kid who doesn't give a shit about other peoples stuff. I just chalk it up to another reason to upgrade.

a heat gun would probably melt the scratch back down and blend the surface, I might try this next week. :D

chubbychu
10-09-2003, 09:16 PM
nope...i didnt care though. i was putting in my injen cai muahah