PDA

View Full Version : Tein S-Tech versus Skunk2 Coilovers....

02SilverSiHB
10-10-2003, 11:57 AM
Well since I've been on the s-tech for a while, I think I've had enough time to say how they are compared to my skunk2 coilovers I'm about to sell. First thing I noticed with the teins is that it's definitely softer. The ride is more comfortable than ever. Although the handling isn't near as responsive as it was with the skunk2 coilovers. I do however have my stock shocks in the rear at the momment, as I'm waiting for koni to send me some replacement parts for the koni shocks. I hope this will help even out the handling I'm shooting for.
I was pretty surprised how soft it was, so I decided to get the spring rate off of tein's hompage. Well get this, (I just updated the spring rate thread showing the spring rate for the tein s-techs). The s-techs have a spring rate of 157 front and 291 rear! Stock our car has 248 front and 440 rear! That's one hell of a difference! I'm hoping that is wrong, or maybe tein will come out with a set specifically made for the teins. I may follow EP33's step even more and get some eibach sportlines now :D hahaaha, oh well, at least I'm not as stiff as the skunk2's. I contacted tein to ask them about this. I feel the progress give the best spring rate for me, but the drop wasn't even imo. The front was noticeably higher in the front than the rear.
I'm going to end up going with another set of springs here sooner or later.

02SilverSiHB
10-10-2003, 12:44 PM
how the hell??? not sure how this is in the member rides, can another mod move this too suspension :D I don't have that control here :D

BlasTech
10-10-2003, 01:07 PM
HOLY SHOITE? thats a soft spring rate, but is it intended for use with the EP?

Your Koni Dampers should make a huge difference in the back once you get them in.

02SilverSiHB
10-10-2003, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by BlasTech
HOLY SHOITE? thats a soft spring rate, but is it intended for use with the EP?

Your Koni Dampers should make a huge difference in the back once you get them in.
I've "heard" here on ephatch that they "tein" say yes. I emailed them and await their reply.
Yeah, the rear is slushy without the konis there. I'll probably up the front to 3/4 turn stiff and the rear to a 1 1/4 turn stiff.

Civicvtec1ps
10-10-2003, 02:40 PM
yea soft springs rates, great for daily .drop. exactly i wanted ;)
might not be good for autox though.its personally perferences. and i think that spring rates are correct

Tenacious G
10-11-2003, 08:34 AM
The S-Tech's that Tein currently offers are for the EM2s, not the EP, but official word from Tein is that they are compatible. I've also read on here that Tein is working on an EP-specific spring, but I don't know when the release date is. I have a set of these springs but never installed them. I'll probably sell them to an EM2 owner and wait for some EP-specific springs at a later date.

But like Civicvtec1ps said, from what I hear the drop is good and they provide a good ride quality.

2k2_nbp_egg
10-11-2003, 11:32 AM
I'm getting clunking from my right progress springs *sigh*...oh well the uneven drop really bothered you that much? It's like an extra finger in the front for my car...I don't really mind it too much. Oh well, what are you at with the tein's? From that one pic i saw on member's rides it looked like you were still at one finger. That's freakin' low dr evil!!!!

02SilverSiHB
10-11-2003, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by 2k2_nbp_egg
I'm getting clunking from my right progress springs *sigh*...oh well the uneven drop really bothered you that much? It's like an extra finger in the front for my car...I don't really mind it too much. Oh well, what are you at with the tein's? From that one pic i saw on member's rides it looked like you were still at one finger. That's freakin' low dr evil!!!!
yeah, I'm amazed how low it is. I'm going to end up buying some different springs for sure. I wish the progress had the same drop in the back as the front has. The tein's are way to low for me. I can just barely get my finger in the wheel well in the back. As for the front just a tad over a finger gap in front.

02SilverSiHB
10-11-2003, 07:01 PM
okay, scratch what I said about the teins having one finger gap in the back...I can't even get a finger in the rear fender well. I say screw it that progress isn't even front and back. I should have just stuck with those. So now I'll be looking for some progress springs...all over again :D