using the search function, I do not see anything about
downshifting to 1st. Having to commute in LA Gridlock for
an hour and a half, I find myself having to start from 2nd
gear a whole lot. I have never owned a new car before in my 27 years
and was hoping my shifts would atleast stay smooth for a
while. If it's just the car I can happily suck it up, after all
it is a civic. But if it's not normal, I would appreciate
any insight.

By the way I am a proud owner of a 2003 w/ 3020 miles.
100% stock.

1flySi2002
10-10-2003, 12:10 PM
I have to be at a complete stop to shift to first smooth. otherwise I have to kinda jam it in, even if i'm only going 5 mph, its still hard.

jaydub
10-10-2003, 12:45 PM
Downshifting to first shouldn't be done at all, unless you're completely stopped. It's cheaper to replace your brake pads than it is to replace your transmission.

Ryusan
10-10-2003, 01:01 PM
Yeah, I don't really downshift to first as you would to
second gear. I just have a really hard time putting it
in first gear unless i am compleatly stopped. I also have
a few hill on my way to work and it sucks when i'm going up
with people closely behind me and I'm at that certain speed
where 2nd gear is to high and I need to go into 1st. For that
2 to 5 seconds of fighting the shift knob, not knowing if it
would go into gear is just a little bit scary.

Thanks for replies.

Spazhead
10-10-2003, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by jaydub
Downshifting to first shouldn't be done at all, unless you're completely stopped. It's cheaper to replace your brake pads than it is to replace your transmission.

I agree with jaydub, pads are cheaper than clutch.

streaker666
10-10-2003, 02:28 PM
You can rev-match into 1st...and it can be done smoothly. I've done it before but I don't recommend it...here's what I've noticed from my experience, I've rev-matched into 1st a few times before...but the repercussions could be 'notchy' shifts from 1st to 2nd and/or 2nd to 3rd for the next little while...meaning that for the times that the shifting was not done precisely, I experienced notchy shifts afterwards...

So like jaydub said...try not to do it, as it's not worth trying.

Ryusan
10-10-2003, 03:02 PM
Just so we're on the same page:
Example - 1. in traffic traveling 15-20 mph you see traffic comming to a stop
2. i let off gas to reduce speed at about 5 mph i push in clutch all the way and try to put it in 1st.
3. i struggle to get it in 1st (still rolling 1-2mph)
4. now at a complete stop still can't put it in unless i wiggle the shifter.
Sometimes i just pop it back in the 2nd at a complete stop and take off from there cause it's easier.
Sorry I was not so clear the first time but this is what I was refering to
when I said downshift to 1st.

Thanks guys.

jaydub
10-10-2003, 03:28 PM
It might be habit from owning a VW, but I always shift into second before I shift into first, even if I'm at a stop. Dunno why. :D

eurosteez
10-10-2003, 03:47 PM
if your going 1-2 mph try and barely wiggle(left&right) it when shifting into first. It helps me cuz i have that problem too.
i take off from 2nd alot cuz our cars have mad torque.

LOL I said wiggle

Ryusan
10-10-2003, 04:15 PM
Cool, at least i'm not the only one having to perfect the
wiggle technique.

Rueda del Queso
10-10-2003, 04:58 PM
I find that if I move the shifter right up to the point where it resists going into first and then just firmly, but not jamming, push it into 1st, it always works. This applies up to maybe 15mph. Maybe I just got a "good" transmission.

jaydub
10-10-2003, 05:15 PM
hey now, anything more than two wiggles, and you're just playing with yourself. :p

Vivid-Cruz
10-10-2003, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by Ryusan
Yeah, I don't really downshift to first as you would to
second gear. I just have a really hard time putting it
in first gear unless i am compleatly stopped. I also have
a few hill on my way to work and it sucks when i'm going up
with people closely behind me and I'm at that certain speed
where 2nd gear is to high and I need to go into 1st. For that
2 to 5 seconds of fighting the shift knob, not knowing if it
would go into gear is just a little bit scary.

Thanks for replies.

Sounds to me like you just need to learn how to use a manual trans...

labelhunter
10-10-2003, 07:43 PM
dude just double clutch. Press the clutch down once and let it up then put it down and put your gear in. Works 95% of the time.

TripleJ02
10-10-2003, 07:47 PM
every car ive driven always has trouble downshifting into first while moving. It works like a failsafe. Just like reverse. You have to be try to get it into the gears, better that way so you dont do it by accident. Did it in my si, my fathers porsche and in my evo.:rolleyes:

bao_pay
10-10-2003, 09:55 PM
I don't understand why you have to downshift at 5mph... you can leave it in 2nd and still drive smooth... I don't shift to 1st until the needle is at the lowest point it will go... and at that point the car is barely even rolling... I drive rush hour everyday and never have I had to shift to first unless I was at a stop or almost stopped... on the plus side, the higher the gear you are in, the more gas you are saving :) your car isn't going to stall in second unless you step on the brake... if you really gotta shift then double clutch and pray you don't grind your gears...

glw
10-11-2003, 10:29 AM
no probs downshifting to 1st at 10mph here... something must be wrong with your cars...:smilem:

dj addicted
10-11-2003, 12:06 PM
why would you ever downshift into first??? How about this.. just go ahead and take out your tranny and give it to me... :D J/K

Seriously.. downshifting to first is not recommended unless stopped..

glw
10-11-2003, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by dj addicted
why would you ever downshift into first??? How about this.. just go ahead and take out your tranny and give it to me... :D J/K

Seriously.. downshifting to first is not recommended unless stopped.. seriously... downshifting into first at 10mph is no problem.

i don't understand what everyone's problem is. i tried it last night when i went out on an errand and it's absolutely no problem at 10mph. if the wheels are spinning and you rev match, what's the problem? then again i don't have any problems in any gears up or down...

dj addicted
10-11-2003, 04:17 PM
glw...

I know how to downshift into first and I have no problems with it.. its just not good for the tranny.. thats all Im saying. The shift will never go into first smoothly unless you are stopped.

Sb00
10-11-2003, 04:19 PM
odd sometimes if i rev match it properly i can get it to go into first very smoothly, but then again i always heal-toe rev match my downshifts

ep pilot
10-12-2003, 01:06 AM
Originally posted by jaydub
It might be habit from owning a VW, but I always shift into second before I shift into first, even if I'm at a stop. Dunno why. :D

My previous car was an '02 1.8t Jetta, I totally know what you mean, but yeah, 1st should not be done unless your stopped, esp if you haven't been driving a clutch for a long time. I rev-match when I need 1st, like if I want to pass someone from a 5 mph roll or start from a hill. You will just have to play with the car to get a true feel of were this feels right for you.

-Ryan

sleepin02si
10-12-2003, 08:09 AM
I only downshift to first when I ABSOLUTELY HAVE TO. I have been in a few circumstances where I was doing over 100mph on a road and had to stop very quickly. As I'm sure you all know, our brakes suck without using down shifting. They heat up real fast. The only way I was going to stop in time was using first. I put it in first at about 15 mph using the wiggle techique (not forcing it) and used first for all of about .5 seconds while doing about 5-10mph. Even at that, I still did not let the clutch out all the way. I only let it grab a hair to help the brakes after extreme use.