PDA

View Full Version : shifter

SiCk_SiR
10-11-2003, 10:04 PM
Did anyone have trouble getting used to the shifter being in the center console and not down in tha bottom were all other cars have them. But I guess I'll get use to it because I think it is cool to have ur shifter in tha center console

Civicvtec1ps
10-11-2003, 10:06 PM
its very comfortable.

Zero Three Si
10-11-2003, 10:10 PM
Best invention yet!

BSEVEER
10-11-2003, 10:44 PM
It takes abouit 5 minutes to get used to it. I got in my 91 si (thats been sitting since last Novemver) and it seemed like the shifter was "way down there on the floor"

golferjn
10-11-2003, 11:00 PM
the shifter location is in a great place. its a true rally shifter - way up there. just like the wrc cars. and its true, i drove my friend's ek the other day and the shifter seemed like it was way down there

chubbychu
10-11-2003, 11:05 PM
yea...i drove my friends civic after a while of driving the Ep....it was really tricky to drive.

phatfreeza
10-12-2003, 12:28 AM
i'm still gettin' the "your shifter is THERE?!?!" remarks... i personally got used to it the first time i test drove it...floor shifters seem so strange to me now... :banana:

ep pilot
10-12-2003, 01:01 AM
Seriously, I don't ever remeber thinking about the shifter location when testdriving the car, in fact I didn't think about it at all until somebody brought it up when they saw the car for the firts time. But to answer your question, It's plug-n-play, if you like cars, and have driven all kinds, it's not really that different than the next.

Also think about this, I had a Jetta & Toyota Tacom before my Ep3, the placement of the shifter in both of those vehicles comapared to where it is in the Ep3 is probably about 1" due to the excessively long shifter on the Tacoma, and the high center console coupled with a hight shifter on the Jetta, it was hard to tell a drastic differance. Now if your coming from a Miata or MR2 I can see where it might feel a bit weird.

-Ryan

SiR Medic
10-12-2003, 04:13 AM
Originally posted by phatfreeza
i'm still gettin' the "your shifter is THERE?!?!" remarks... i personally got used to it the first time i test drove it...floor shifters seem so strange to me now... :banana:

Tell me about it!

I drove an M5 and I remember thinking: "Shifter on the console... How quaint!"
:angel:

SiR_d1
10-13-2003, 04:18 PM
At first I didn't like the shifter, but after when you realize how much faster you can shift I starts to grow on you more and more

JruSi02
10-14-2003, 08:57 AM
with the shape of the seats, cause theyre sport seats, it feels more comfortable with the shifter up there, if you were sittin in the seats and had to reach down to shift u'd think it'd be more uncomfortable

Tenacious G
10-14-2003, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by phatfreeza

my sentiments exactly. driving my friend's MK IV jetta around seems almost difficult with the floor-mounted shifter. the rally-style is the design i feel all cars should be equipped with now that i'm so used to it.

TrippZ
10-14-2003, 12:13 PM
i think the shifter flows with the shape of your body

very easy and fluid.

i drive cars with floor shifters and it feels, like everyone said, very weird

bloodzombie
10-14-2003, 01:14 PM
The placement of the shifter makes a lot of sense when you're driving on mountain roads and places where you use 2 hands on the wheel because it just feels like it's easily accessable. It felt a little weird to me at first because I usually drive with one hand on the shifter and my arm on an armrest.

TheMutt
10-14-2003, 01:29 PM
So far I've driven an old mustang and a 02 SE-R, and having the shifter be way down there... I must say I prefer my EP over the others. Also because in a lot of my daily driving I take shortcuts through half empty neighborhoods and side roads, I do a lot of turning. It's definitely a luxury to have the shifter right next to the wheel.

furious
10-14-2003, 01:32 PM
I had to drive my new ep from the annex lot to the dealer (10 mile trip following the salesman in sedan). I was nervous on take on the first intersection. After that instant, it has been the pride and joy....

DjMacAtack
10-14-2003, 01:49 PM
its also an advantage when you have a horny mistress in the passenger seat;)

furious
10-14-2003, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by DjMacAtack

no armrest to get in the way either ;) now, if only them bolsters weren't so damn confining:D

yakov456
10-14-2003, 08:02 PM
I think now it would feel weird to go back to a car with the shifter down low. Just so used to reaching straight out to shift.

oogy-boogy
10-15-2003, 07:39 AM
Originally posted by DjMacAtack

:D

I definitely have to say that I prefer the rally type shifter. It is so much more of a comfortable feeling...