PDA

View Full Version : water in my intake??

joneSi
10-12-2003, 07:53 AM
Well, I've been running through this local car wash which is automated and it has lots of high pressure sprayers...the car starts to choke up and the exhaust rattles and runs hard. The ? is if I am getting water into the intake, and if its a big deal...It runs fine once it gets all cleared out...then yesterday when its was raining (sideways) it did it again. Cleared out fine. I run the injen cai, any suggestions??? I really don't need to deal with this right now. HELP!!!

Thanks,
joneSi

31102si
10-12-2003, 07:58 AM
I would suggest next time you run through the car wash check to see if the filter gets soaking wet. If it is dry then you will know that water is not your problem. Also why not just wash your car by hand yourself. I hate those fucking car washes! ;)

hamlet9634
10-12-2003, 08:12 AM
I've also got the injen CAI, and i'm running the buddy club kit which basically exposes the filter element of the CAI to the outside world with a well-placed vent, and i've had the EXACT same issues.

happens when i drive the car in the ran - a bit of rattling, and popping..

car runs fine when it dries out.. but i don't know if I'm doing any long term damage.. hope not (should be fine, it's just water that evaporates when heated up, but i dunno)..

another issue - will it be MORE of a problem when i get a supercharger? (SUCKING this water into the engine has gotta be worse, right?)

!@#$%
10-12-2003, 09:03 PM
this is what I bought. With your water problems it might be the best 50 bucks you will spend. Check into it. I got mine at (link --> ) ptuning (http://www.ptuning.com/html/Item-Desc.cfm?PartNo=PTHS5000P&MakeCode=%2Dall&ModelCode=model&ModelYear=All%20Filters%20w%2F%202%2E5%2D3%2E0%20I nch%20Mouth&ModelDesc=Universal%20Fit) . quick service. also there is a 5% or 10% discount code you can use. I think I found it over at www.7thgencivic.com.

hope this helps.

joneSi
10-13-2003, 06:27 AM
Hmmmm....I bet that would do it. It would get the metal thingy wet instead of my filter (and yes I'm sure the filter is getting wet). I just talked to a mechanic at Nissan (I'm a salesman at a Nissan store) and he said its not a huge deal, but to get the filter re-charged and the metal thingy on there. Anybody tell me how hard it is to take the bumper off?? I'm gonna have to do that to put the metal deal on there, and i didn't take the bumper off to do the intake in the first place. It looks like I just have to take the black clips and pop them with a screwdriver...right??

joneSi

!@#$%
10-13-2003, 02:33 PM
there is a much easier way to get to the filter than removing the bumper. This is how i do it.

1. remove driver side front wheel.
2. remove clips that hold inner fenderwell lining on. (3-4 clips.) no screws
3. peel back the lining (might be sturdy, just some muscle)
4. filter is right there.

*it is also easier to manuever the intake pipe when the nut for that rubber stopper piece is removed. The big rubber piece by the battery that is bolted to huge bend in the pipe. Take that off and its much easier to take the filter out.

STP03BlueSI
10-14-2003, 09:35 AM
My GF has a 99 Eclipse with a AEM CAI, we ran it for about 6 months with out a Bypass valve on the engine. When it poored i just had her put the fog light cover on(hers didnt have fog light covers.)http://www.dsmtuners.com/gallery/data/500/10804eclipsemean3.jpg
It is located on the Drivers side. You have the Fog light spot then that 1/2 moon slot that is where the the Air filter sits for the CAI. But we never had ne problems with water.

joneSi
10-14-2003, 11:36 AM
I know how to peel back the fender liner, but to put on something to keep the filter from getting wet, i wanted to take the bumper off to work with it...

joneSi