PDA

View Full Version : Keeping a black car clean?

pedzola
10-12-2003, 09:10 AM
Does anyone have any tips as to how to keep a black car looking good? Recommended car care products, washing/waxing routine, etc? Any ideas for winter care? (snow/salt/dirt)

Thanks.

AkronSi
10-13-2003, 09:01 AM
Don't drive it and keep it under a car cover.

j/k

I have a black car too, so I feel your pain. There are a lot of good suggestions in the Car Care forum. I guess it depends how much time you want to devote to it.

Go with a synthetic like Klasse, Zaino, Meg's #20 or Pinnicle Ulitmate Paint Protection (at least I think that's the name) if you only want to wax once or twice a year (spring and fall).

Go with carnuba if you don't mind waxing every month of so.

Check out these links:
Proper Auto Care (http://www.properautocare.com)
Premium Auto Care (http://www.premiumautocare.com)
Autogeek (http://www.autogeek.net)
Autopia Car Care Store (http://www.autopia-carcare.com)
Autopia Forum (http://www.autopia.org)

I try to wash mine pretty reguarly and always use some sort of quick detailer afterwards. For quick washes I really like Protect-All Quick and Easy Wash, or Poorboy's Spray & Wipe. The Quick and Easy wash allows you to wash your car with just 1 gallon of water, and the Spray and Wipe is just that, spray it on and wipe it off.

Finally, invest in some good microfiber towels. They rock.

pedzola
10-13-2003, 04:50 PM
Thanks man, I will look into some of those products. I am thinkin I probably wont' be washing much over the winter since I doubt I will be pulling out a hose and bucket of water when theres a foot of snow on the ground. So I was wondering if theres anything you do to prepare your car for the winter months, or if I should just move somewhere where it doesn't snow... haha

SiR_d1
10-13-2003, 04:55 PM
1. keep your car in the garage
2. Wipe it with a caifornia brush every morning (1 min)
3. use meguires detailer on all water spots or imperfections

do this on a regular basis and your car will always shine. But never do over a good wash;)

AkronSi
10-14-2003, 07:48 AM
For the winter, since in NE Ohio we can get it pretty bad, I think I'm going to do a layer of Klasse All-In-One topped with a couple layers of Klasse Sealer Glaze (or Meg's #20). I'll then top that with a couple layers or Trewax 4 seasons boat wax (I'm going to use this since it's detergent and salt resistant).

I'm also going to clean the wheel wells, undercarrige and engine really good with Meg's APC+, spray Corrosion Block on most of the engine and suspension parts and then spray a few coats of Meg's Engine Kote over the engine, wheel wells and undercarrige.

It might be overkill, or it might not. We'll see. Last year I just did a couple layers of the Klasse AIO and a few layers of carnuba then tried to at least spray the salt off at those DIY places when it was above freezing.

I hope that helps.

pedzola
10-14-2003, 09:33 AM
Unfortunately I have no garage to park in. Parents get dibs on the garages... I'm stuck parking in the driveway. I'm wondering if a car cover might be a good investment for those winter storms when my car is sitting helplessly out in the open.

Thanks for the tips guys, im nervous because the car has horrible water spots after washing and gets really dirty every time it rains. =(

SiR Medic
10-14-2003, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by pedzola
Thanks for the tips guys, im nervous because the car has horrible water spots after washing and gets really dirty every time it rains. =(

Get yourself a California Water Blade. It works great on the EP's smooth contours and really helps against water spots.

I got one and I LOVE IT!

pedzola
10-17-2003, 03:25 PM
Well I bought some car soap, wax, tire stuff, goo/tar remover, a california water blade, and a sponge/brush thingy.

Washing worked well.
Tire stuff worked well.
Goo stuff got off the crap from the edges of the plastic pieces that were on my car.
Wax worked well also.

My car is so clean it is gleaming.

:cool:

I wasn't all too impressed with the water blade, but maybe i just gotta get used to it... I guess it gets rid of a lot of the water so you have less to dry off, but it didn't seem to be exceedingly useful. Thanks anyway! Now I just have to do this every week... lol

beauy
11-05-2003, 12:21 PM
Man my black EP3 gets dirty every day :( cannot keep her clean, shes just a dirty girl lol ha haha

BarracksSi
11-05-2003, 01:42 PM
I want to shop around for a car cover for those times when I have to leave my car parked outdoors for nearly two months every year.

Apart from that, just keep it clean -- wash with a good carwash soap, make sure there's a good coat of wax, use a duster (water spots are greatly reduced if there's no dust to begin with) and keep a couple clean rags & a bottle of quick detailer for those times when a bird craps on it.

You'll have to invest the time to keep it clean. My old car had paint that needed serious work to even get shiny, so I never made a habit of washing it frequently. Me EP, though -- I even like how it feels under the wash sponge.. lol