PDA

View Full Version : Tein Basics question!?

seattlecivic
10-12-2003, 03:28 PM
Hi, I recently had some tein basics on my ep and I was wondering if anyone has a squeaky noise in the rear strut assembly. Everytime I go over a bump it sounds like crap.. I didn't think I would go from quiet to squeaky. Maybe the installer did something wrong? I will have to checkc it out on a day off when it isn't raining. Overall, the handeling of the car is awesome! I just don't like the rear driver side squeak over speed bumps and normal hops.

bobdobbs
10-12-2003, 03:47 PM
The most likely cause of the squeaks is the springs rubbing on the plastic dust shield. You can test this by spraying a small amount of oil on the dust shield and taking it for a drive. The oil won't stay for very long, but it will at least let you know if that's the problem.

HondaMan
10-22-2003, 08:41 AM
I have this same problem with my Tein Basics...I will try the dust cover oil deal & some said to trim the dust cover boot an inch or so. Tein says it might have something to do with the perches not being tight, but they are tight so they have been no help so far.

Any other suggestions???

bobdobbs
10-22-2003, 10:27 AM
I'd be wary of trimming the dust cover. It's a one-way mod and you don't know if it will fix the problem. If it doesn't fix it, then you've got a mangled dust cover AND a squeak.

Before I cut away at the dust cover, I would take it out and check it for wear marks. If you find any, that could be the source of the squeak. Then I'd grease it with marine grease, only where it's wearing and drive. Maybe that would solve the problem.

Also, you could try reversing the dust cover (180 degrees). Or swapping left for right.

Do you have a rear camber kit? Is it polyurethane?

HondaMan
10-22-2003, 10:41 AM
OK...good suggestions...thanks! I have a SPC rear camber kit as seen in this thread:
http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=22041

HondaMan
10-25-2003, 08:45 PM
Well, it is the dust cover making all the noises on the rear shocks. I just sprayed some WD40 on it and the noises went away and I can see some damage to the bottom edge of the dust covers, so trimming them back an inch or so would not hurt. However, I might wait a little longer before doing that.