PDA

View Full Version : custom engine damper

downhil
10-12-2003, 09:31 PM
i have some ideas for an engine damper using a mountain bike rear shock. basically an highly adjustable version of the j's damper. adjustable air pressure is the spring medium, then you have adjustable rebound and compression. the shocks i have are fox alps 4r's. i have 2 of 'em. they are about 8" eyelet to eyelet and about 3" in diameter. if anyone can mock up a shock at those dimensions and make some brackets to mount it before i figure some out, you can have one of the shocks. here's a pic of a similar shock (just shorter)

TezGari
10-12-2003, 10:57 PM
Ummm....Oh? EEEEEEEEEEEEEE....E.

03EP3Si
10-12-2003, 10:59 PM
ok.....Intersting.. but how the hell are we going to fabricate a mount for this??????:D

Suk02Si
10-13-2003, 01:36 AM
how about you just use ES motor mount inserts ;) :D

downhil
10-13-2003, 08:15 AM
why spend money when i dont have to?

03EP3Si
10-13-2003, 10:48 AM
well your gonna have to spend alittle money to fabricate the mount for it.. and remember you get for what you paid for.... so if you paid nothing...lol then you might end up with nothing in the end.. just my two cents:D

1abSi
10-13-2003, 02:08 PM
only thing is, if i am correct (remembering my Jekyll) you can only get a couple hundred psi in there...don't remember exactly remember how much it is...but will that be enough for the power and weight of the engine, and the wgt of the car???? and just to let you know...you will spend less on es motor mount inserts than fabricating a bracket...and if the bikes are shit..you can sell the shocks on ebay for decent money and maybe come out ahead...considering the mm inserts can be had for 17 shipped

1abSi
10-13-2003, 02:09 PM
sorry...happened when EPH was doing wierd shit yesterday

1abSi
10-13-2003, 02:10 PM
see above post..."i'm not a whore":cool:

Suk02Si
10-13-2003, 11:49 PM
whore :D

bigcase
10-14-2003, 08:47 AM
scott, dont cannibalize that fat ass s-works. sell the whole bike and make mad dough. then just buy a J's damper. besides, i think that guy was right. that bike shock idea might prove to be a little more of a headache than you thought. wont you have to put air in that shock all the time? from the heat and cool spikes from engine heat to cool down. (i dont know if that made sense, im still learning english). but anyway, let us know how it works out. by the way, me you and blastech need to get together to test out the hondata. go catch some brodies.

Cuprsnel
10-14-2003, 08:59 AM
Where do you find the inserts for $17 shipped?

Originally posted by 1abSi
only thing is, if i am correct (remembering my Jekyll) you can only get a couple hundred psi in there...don't remember exactly remember how much it is...but will that be enough for the power and weight of the engine, and the wgt of the car???? and just to let you know...you will spend less on es motor mount inserts than fabricating a bracket...and if the bikes are shit..you can sell the shocks on ebay for decent money and maybe come out ahead...considering the mm inserts can be had for 17 shipped

STP03BlueSI
10-14-2003, 09:22 AM
Do u think that will with stand the pressure of a engine shaking?:blushm:

03EP3Si
10-14-2003, 01:00 PM
That Shock cant possibly handle the weight of the engine.. you can actually take the shock and squeeze it down with you bare hands... remember its a Bicycle shock lol :D

downhil
10-14-2003, 01:36 PM
you guys have obviously never checked out bikes. these are equivelent to a 650-700 lb coil spring. you can not take a bike shock and squeeze it together with your hands....c'mon now, i know for a fact you haven't ever done that.

all i need are 2 L shaped brackets of 1/4 in steel. i have all the other hardware. i'm not sure where you guys are thinking there is money involved. you do bring up a good point about the heat casey, didnt think of that, but ill see. (and i dont have a bike to put these on...they are orphaned shocks.)

03EP3Si
10-14-2003, 02:31 PM
Ok yeah maybe i was off witht he whole squeezing it with your hand thing..but even if you do find L shaped brakects....... is all of that gonna fit? it might be to long or even to short to fit where it should go.... they are made for bikes .. they arent made to fit in our Ep3 engine bay....but if you find an easy way man.. im down for it.. just find out how the hell to do it lol