PDA

View Full Version : Opinions?Coilovers?Springs?

Zero Three Si
10-13-2003, 11:52 AM
For those of you that are contienplaing on getting springs or coilovers....

I for one have to say I'm gonna save the 1,000 bucks or whatever it costs for coilovers and just go with springs.

I went for a ride in Civicvtech1ps ride. He's only got springs on his car.

The ride is very smooth and it handles like its on rails.

At least IMO...I'm going with springs only. 1.5 drop

dj addicted
10-13-2003, 12:07 PM
here is another thing... how many of you out there spend the money on coilovers and never change your ride height? I know so many people who have spend 1000 or more on coilovers and never even adjusted the height once. I went with springs personally.

bobdobbs
10-13-2003, 12:10 PM
I dick with my coilover settings almost every weekend. I'm glad I have them.

Slapshot25
10-13-2003, 12:12 PM
I did the same... The Eibach Sportlines work great for me. Got a 1.5" drop and it handles great. I wanted to make my car look better and perform better but I didn't want to put too much money into it. Plus I usually only keep my cars for about 3-4 years.

Zero Three Si
10-13-2003, 12:14 PM
Who's got the best deals on springs?

Slapshot25
10-13-2003, 12:45 PM
I couldn't beat Tirerack for the Eibach Sportlines. Plus they're very reliable... I think they were $183

dj addicted
10-13-2003, 12:55 PM
might want to talk to Rocky at showstoppers.. I picked up my Tein S Techs for 139 shipped to my door. Couldnt beat that. I think they were pretty cheap on the eibachs as well. Couldnt hurt to talk to him.

k20hatch
10-13-2003, 01:39 PM
I love my coilovers..I actually put them to use...i slam it for car shows allllll way way down...but raised it back up some for driving around!

Civicvtec1ps
10-13-2003, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by dj addicted
here is another thing... how many of you out there spend the money on coilovers and never change your ride height? I know so many people who have spend 1000 or more on coilovers and never even adjusted the height once. I went with springs personally.
yea well i had tein ss fullcoilvers on my last car. never even changed height at all. haha , if you are not looking to slam your car, just get springs now and invest shocks later on.
i bought my tein s tech springs from showstoppersusa for 139shipped.

02SilverSiHB
10-13-2003, 04:56 PM
I had skunk2s coilovers and dicked with the setting all the time...couldn't make up my mind how high, or how low I wanted it. And it's not something you can change and then drive off with...you'll need an alignment to get the handling back to good and to keep from wasting your tires.

So I got tired of going to an alignment shop wasting my money there...although some alignment shops will take a one time payment for a 1 year warranty on alignment, so you can adjust it all the time and it's free...but shops around here don't like that, so they charge you and don't give you a warranty.

So I went with teins since I hear they are good...well, they are nice and soft and not punishing to the driver. But they are too soft for me. So now I'm buying some progress springs which are just slightly stiffer than stock, but give a nice drop....so back to progress I go.

bobdobbs
10-13-2003, 05:15 PM
Once you get the first alignment, I find you can adjust plus or minus and inch and not effect alignment that much.

The big benefit is, by adjusting height on the Tein coilovers, you're also adjusting spring pre-load. Along with the damper settings, you can tune the suspension to handle more firm, or more comfortable. The differences are not subtle.

2k2_nbp_egg
10-14-2003, 12:19 AM
Originally posted by 02SilverSiHB
I had skunk2s coilovers and dicked with the setting all the time...couldn't make up my mind how high, or how low I wanted it. And it's not something you can change and then drive off with...you'll need an alignment to get the handling back to good and to keep from wasting your tires.

So I got tired of going to an alignment shop wasting my money there...although some alignment shops will take a one time payment for a 1 year warranty on alignment, so you can adjust it all the time and it's free...but shops around here don't like that, so they charge you and don't give you a warranty.

So I went with teins since I hear they are good...well, they are nice and soft and not punishing to the driver. But they are too soft for me. So now I'm buying some progress springs which are just slightly stiffer than stock, but give a nice drop....so back to progress I go.

Damn bro back to the progress ones? Hehe oh well, if the difference in height bothers you this time just chop the front fuckers!!! haha j/k

I really would have expected the tein ones to be a much better spring all around than the progress ones....oh well, my front right one has started to persistently clunk. Any ideas?

02SilverSiHB
10-14-2003, 04:49 AM
Originally posted by 2k2_nbp_egg
Damn bro back to the progress ones? Hehe oh well, if the difference in height bothers you this time just chop the front fuckers!!! haha j/k

I really would have expected the tein ones to be a much better spring all around than the progress ones....oh well, my front right one has started to persistently clunk. Any ideas?
yeah, :D better spring rate than tein also. as for that clunk..sounds like some grease is needed. I'd have to hear though to be sure

SiR Medic
10-14-2003, 09:50 AM
I'm saving up for Tein Basic Damper coilovers.

Anybody who has to worry about driving in the snow should definately get coilovers.

1/ Raise the car in winter for extra clearance.

2/ Drop the car in summer for better handling.

3/ Slam the car at shows for looks!