PDA

View Full Version : Busted Ball Joint Rubber Boot While Installing the Mugens...HELP!

Hatch, Si Hatch
10-14-2003, 05:33 AM
So, I decided to start installing my Mugen Sport Suspension last night. The driver's side went OK, but when I got the the passenger side it was being quite the b*tch. I was using the peice of wood/hammer method of knocking the bolt through like it say in the tech section on k - series. The board sliped and the hammer smashed the boot, knocking a nice size chunck out of it and sending grease flying all over the place. I guess I'm going to contact Honda to get me another boot. I have a service manual and it says I have to have a special tool to re-install the new one. If anyone has any insight on this I would greatly appreciate it. Any and all help is appreciated. Thanks.

ny-quiL
10-14-2003, 07:16 AM
I think you are talking about the tie rod end boot? (little rubber bushing) my front ones are shot due to a tie rod seperator (pickle fork) that was too small. i havnt replaced them and i have no noise up front. search for it and you can find the part number for just the bushing, or you can buy the whole thing. Honda will probably try to sell you the entire tie rod end, which i can see needing a special tool to do.

Hatch, Si Hatch
10-14-2003, 08:24 AM
I found(i think) and ordered the part from Majestic Honda, now I need to find that special tool to put the rubber boot back on with.

If anyone has any connections at honda, the # for the tool is 07956-SA50500.

ConeCrazy02
10-14-2003, 04:30 PM
You dont need a special tool, a socket attachment will do nicely.

EP3smoker
10-21-2003, 04:05 PM
hay my tie rod boots are fcked, and i order new ones. anyone figure out how to change them? do i need this special tool, got any pics?

ConeCrazy02
10-21-2003, 06:12 PM
I used a big attachment (forgot the size), 2 C-clamp and slowly ease the rubber boot in. The trick is to level the attachment by adjusting each of the C clamp alternatively (ie. twist one c clamp then the other.

EP3smoker
10-21-2003, 09:40 PM
i dont undertand

civicpimp
10-22-2003, 02:48 PM
You don't need a special tool to do this. First take the cotter pin out of the bolt attached to the tie rod. Then undo the nut on the bolt holding the tie rod in place. Take off the damaged boot. Pack the new one with grease and slide it on the end. I slid it back and forth until it went on all the way. Takes 5 min. Put the nut back on and then the cotter pin. Congrats your finished. Take 15 minutes to do all this.