PDA

View Full Version : Look what I got .... v2's

jason
10-14-2003, 09:10 AM
Came in this morning I got them from glenn for 1150.00 shipped to my door. Review's will be in at a later date.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid83/pb4d78a8c48b7a83f4e4e8c621f751664/fad3a80a.jpg

jason
10-14-2003, 09:11 AM
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid83/p88d943b7294d0a70c9f09cf5db89613f/fad3a7ff.jpg

jason
10-14-2003, 09:13 AM
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid83/p8db1eae018ee32deb49bc4b4ee734812/fad3a81c.jpg

jason
10-14-2003, 09:15 AM
This piece is to change the settings for how stiff you want your ride to be.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid83/p837fdd934fb16f5b8e1984b56907b0f2/fad3a7f2.jpg

jason
10-14-2003, 09:22 AM
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid83/p1b8ba74f17c7ee7789b6c3f1fb98333e/fad3a7e6.jpg

All I can say as of right now is that they look really good. The welds on them are perfect, life time guarantee on them as long as they are kept in between the recommended range. Glen at kw was very helpful in answering all my questions. Price was pretty sweet. Right now I have some slips on my car with azenis so I'm hoping that these change the way my car feels because my shocks have been blown for like a year now. I called a shop any they would do an install and allighnment for 220.00, does that sound like a good deal.

Hatch, Si Hatch
10-14-2003, 09:35 AM
NICE!!!

Yes, be sure to give us a review. I just got the Mugen setup, and have ran into some install problems with the ball joint. See my thread in this forum. So I would say that $220 is a pretty good price for a install and alignment, just be sure to inspect the work when it is complete, make sure they did a good job and didn't do the same thing I did.

bobdobbs
10-14-2003, 10:35 AM
Congrats! I was going to get the KWs but I was too impatient to wait three weeks for them.

$220 for an install and alignment is not bad. Like Hatch says, make it clear you expect them not to tear the tie rod boots. It's easy to do, unless you have a puller that fits.

Something to think about, though: Once you install the coilovers, you may want to experiment with ride height, so getting an alignment right away might be a waste of money. See if they'll re-align it after a week or two (for free or cheap).

Also, did you get a rear camber kit? You're gonna need it.

jason
10-14-2003, 10:41 AM
OK I'll wait a week or two to get the allignment he said 160.00 for the install and 60 for the allignment. As far as the tie rod boot I will let him no but can you tell me which part is the tie rod boot and also the instructions were in german so I e-mailed them to send me the english version. What about grease so that I don't get the knocking sound that I do with my springs on stock shocks. Thanks and all information is welcomed and appreciated.

bobdobbs
10-14-2003, 10:46 AM
Just say this to the guy: "Removing the tie rods on these cars is a bitch. Can you guarantee you won't tear the boot?" He'll know exactly what you're talking about. If he doesn't, go somewhere else.

You shouldn't need to grease anything if the coilover is assembled correctly. People that grease up their suspension are curing the symptom, not the disease.

Hatch, Si Hatch
10-14-2003, 10:50 AM
The rubber boot circled in the attached picture is the one you should ask him about and inspect after the work is done.

bobdobbs
10-14-2003, 11:07 AM
Hatch beat me to it, but here's a picture of the left front tie rod with the wheel on. This one is split and needs to be replaced.

bobdobbs
10-14-2003, 11:08 AM
These are the replacements. :D

jason
10-14-2003, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by bobdobbs
Just say this to the guy: "Removing the tie rods on these cars is a bitch. Can you guarantee you won't tear the boot?" He'll know exactly what you're talking about. If he doesn't, go somewhere else.

You shouldn't need to grease anything if the coilover is assembled correctly. People that grease up their suspension are curing the symptom, not the disease.

Cool I will say exactly that and if he doesn't know what I'm talkin about I'll bit@# slap him like one of my hos. j/k

Hatch, Si Hatch
10-14-2003, 11:30 AM
Not trying to hijack your thread jason, but I need to ask Bobdobbs a few questions?

Is that picture of your torn rubber boot?

If so that means those are your replacements. Have you put them on yet?

If so how did you do it, was it hard? I need to know because I have the same problem. Check this thread:
http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=22368

greenguy
10-14-2003, 11:31 AM
You will absolutley love them;). I would recomend getting the KW upper bearing mount. My eom ones are blown after 2 months. Also remind them of the half shaft poping out. They will have to support them to ensure that they stay put.

bobdobbs
10-14-2003, 11:36 AM
I think we covered it, so this thread is now formally jacked! :D

Yes, that's my torn boot. Yes, those are my replacements. No, I haven't replaced them yet, but I've been thinking about it.

I've never done it, but it doesn't look terribly hard. I think you could remove the old ones with a big flat-head screwdriver, some pliers, etc. It will likely destroy them, but who cares?

To install the new ones, I figure you could either press-fit them with just your fingers or if they need a little more effort, you could (gently) tap them in with a long socket that fits over them and presses the seat into place.

Like I said, I haven't done it, so I'm just speculating. Maybe somebody who's done it could chime in???

BlasTech
10-14-2003, 11:45 AM
Congrats!

If you can, please step on the scales with that box of goodies, and tell me what the weight is minus your wieght.

Im compiling a database of comparative weights for aftermarket parts.

alex_mathews
10-14-2003, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by greenguy
You will absolutley love them;). I would recomend getting the KW upper bearing mount. My eom ones are blown after 2 months. Also remind them of the half shaft poping out. They will have to support them to ensure that they stay put.

I'm getting V2s very soon, but I didn't know they offered an upper bearing mount. I'm curious, how do you tell when it's blown?

greenguy
10-14-2003, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by alex_mathews
I'm getting V2s very soon, but I didn't know they offered an upper bearing mount. I'm curious, how do you tell when it's blown?
The ride is NOT affected, but you will hear a spring sound going "DOING"! Or a pop or two.

bioevolve
10-14-2003, 02:44 PM
Congratz jason, I want those too but with top plates.:D

bobdobbs
10-14-2003, 02:56 PM
The ride is NOT affected, but you will hear a spring sound going "DOING"! Or a pop or two.

Are you sure the top-mounts are bad? The rubber that holds the bearing is pretty durable. Can you post a picture of one that's blown?

greenguy
10-14-2003, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by bobdobbs
Are you sure the top-mounts are bad? The rubber that holds the bearing is pretty durable. Can you post a picture of one that's blown?
the bearing is the piece in the middle. It is made of plastic:p
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid74/pc0b4d7c5e0a2a8aac41537cbead37854/fb60ea51.jpg

jason
10-14-2003, 03:41 PM
Thanks bio, I'm gonna get the top mounts in the near future. When I get them installed I will weight one of the fronts and one of the rears and then you guys can do the multiplication. I'm also gonna way the stock ones as well. The rear coilover measures 171/2 inches from the bottom to the top where you cant adjust the dampening, and the front measures exactly 20 inches (courtesy of stanley tape measures) does anyone no what the stock ones measure.

1abSi
10-14-2003, 04:25 PM
hey man where in FL are you? i will do the install for cheap....i hate when shops charge all that money....let me know

bobdobbs
10-14-2003, 04:50 PM
the bearing is the piece in the middle. It is made of plastic:p
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid74/pc0b4d7c5e0a2a8aac41537cbead37854/fb60ea51.jpg

There's also a bearing -- with rubber around it -- in the top mount (the part with three bolts). :p I assumed that's the one you were saying is blown out.

jason
10-14-2003, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by 1abSi
hey man where in FL are you? i will do the install for cheap....i hate when shops charge all that money....let me know

I live in pembroke pines. Its very close to ft. lauderdale. Where are you located at and how much?

bioevolve
10-14-2003, 05:22 PM
alittle far'er than me lol.

scwafish
10-14-2003, 09:27 PM
The boots on the tierod end (TRE)are cut from TRE being seperated from the strut with a "picklefork". A picklefork is a caveman tool for of seperating a tapered TRE from a tapered steering arm. If your installer would have used a puller the boots would not have been damaged and split. The only way to replace them is to seperate the TRE from the strut again.

bobdobbs
10-14-2003, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by scwafish
If your installer would have used a puller the boots would not have been damaged and split. The only way to replace them is to seperate the TRE from the strut again.

I'll let my installer know... Oh, wait, that would be me! :D

1abSi
10-15-2003, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by jason
I live in pembroke pines. Its very close to ft. lauderdale. Where are you located at and how much? well in the week i am in gainesville and on weekends i am in st augustine...and i would do it for atleast half what the cheapest shop would charge you...maybe even less if i like you:cool: might be too much of a drive for you though

Ocelaris
10-17-2003, 01:22 AM

Doh, is that what that is? damn... I knew something was up, it didn't make any noise at first and I was Hooray after hearing all the boing stories... but the boing is back.

Did you put the KW upper mounts on GreenGuy? or anyone else for that matter? What's the difference besides no boing? Is there any danger in just tolerating the boing?

greenguy
10-17-2003, 07:40 AM
Originally posted by Ocelaris
Doh, is that what that is? damn... I knew something was up, it didn't make any noise at first and I was Hooray after hearing all the boing stories... but the boing is back.

Did you put the KW upper mounts on GreenGuy? or anyone else for that matter? What's the difference besides no boing? Is there any danger in just tolerating the boing?
Talked to Glen on Tuesday. and he said they sold all of thier alotment within hours. The new shipment will be in next week and my name is on a pair of them;)
To install them I will remove the top center bolt, then loosen the spring perch all the way down. When the spring unseats the piston can be pushed down, and put to the side WITHOUT reomoving the bottom part of the assy. Then top hat comes off by removing three bolts, then assemble everything up. No new alignment, sinse the size of everything is exactly the same as oem.....right Glenn?