PDA

View Full Version : k24a or k20a swap?

bratkat64
10-14-2003, 08:46 PM
You see the subject, so which should I do? The k24 looks like a better deal - but... I just started doing some research this am.

1abSi
10-14-2003, 09:17 PM
well if you did a search you would see that the k24 is the same as our engine only with .4 more L(unless you are talking tsx engine, which i believe their may be issues with) but either way i would still do the k20a (ITR i am assuming you are referring to??) or even the A2 would be great...

bratkat64
10-14-2003, 09:37 PM
Well it would be between the tsx and the teggy type r (k20a) - I wasnt sure of the engine code for the tsx. I think was k24a2 or something - a friend told me that an ep had a tsx engine swap done so it was possible. It is prob easier to get ahold of as well since its in the USA vs JAPAN. I just didnt want to deal with importing one when I could hit up wreck/car junk yards for an engine from one.

But since I'm a clueless chicky on most Acura engines, I wanted to consult the majority before wasting a load of cash. Mostly to make sure it was worth it. For all I know I could do the swap and then find out I can't get what I want out of it whereas I might from the K20a.

DavidT
10-14-2003, 09:54 PM
I would go with the K20A from an ITR. Simply because the K24 in the TSX has a longer stroke. Sure it has more torque, and it is a nice motor...but mod for mod, the K20A has more HP potential because of it's ability to rev a lot higher. With stiffer valve springs, more aggressive cams the K20A would have no prob do'n 9000RPM revs all day long. Can't do that with a K24 :D

2k2_nbp_egg
10-14-2003, 10:13 PM
Too bad there's no replacement for displacement (sides FI). The k24 can safely rev up to 7700, and it's lower c/r is just begging for a supercharger or even turbo. Oh jesus turbo k24...

Realistically speaking you can sell your engine and cough only a couple hundred more out and get a K24 that bolts up easily to your stock tranny ecu and wiring harness, and have a great platform to build off of. The K20A costs...ohhh...what? 5500 bux.....hmmm...and the swap requires some modification as well. Oh well, the K20A is still probably the most impressive n/a 2.0L that honda has put out IMO....i'm still wondering why the DC5 ITR has a better 2L than the S2000, unless someone can correct me on this.

Anyway, cheaper route w/ more low end would be k24. Much much more expensive route w/ better high end would be k20A.

1abSi
10-15-2003, 03:39 AM
ummmm she is talking TSX motor...you are talking CRV motor...or atleast that is the only one that can "bolt right up" and is cheap like you are talking, and that one, stock, isn't reving to 7700rpm..as far as i know no one has done the TSX swap yet. there seems to be a throttle issue...so you can either figure that out and be the first, or do the k20a swap, or even just do the k20a2 whish would be cheaper and still get GOOD results..and you don't have to worry with importing....let a shop do that for you...call showstoppers:D

DavidT
10-15-2003, 11:01 AM
The K24 motor in the TSX only makes 166 ft-pds of torque stock (Roughly 10 more than the K20A). Redlines at 7100 and makes 200 HP with fairly agressive VTEC lobes from the factory. The K20A makes around 155-156 ft-pds of torque (I see different figures all the time) and 220 HP, redlines around 8400 RPMs.

I can see revving the TSX's K24 to 7700 RPMs, but you're gonna have to reflash it's ECU to do so cause the stock limiter is at 7100 RPMs...and revving a 3x42x3.90 (boreXstroke) motor to 7700 RPMs is kinda :eek: That's a lot of rod/piston movement per second. Plus as of right now, there's not a lot of aftermarket support (ie: cams, valves, valve springs) for the K24 vs. the K20A2 and K20A.

2k2_nbp_egg
10-15-2003, 11:50 AM
Heh my bad, let me clarify. A modded K24 w/ a type S head....there how about that. Then you can set the redline to a nice 7500 or whatever. Oh well, it was this dyno chart that did it for me -

http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=13084

I'm not touching the TSX motor, the DBW system is apparently quite a pain in the ass.

Anyway, n/a or supercharged, that's pretty impressive if you ask me. You also have to realize that we're comparing a 5500 dollar k20A motor to a 1400 dollar k24 bottom end. NO SHIT THE K20A IS GOING TO BE BETTER STOCK. In that dyno N/A, there's 185WHP and 153WTQ with a K24 bottom end (essentially free) a type S head (roughly 1k) with type R cams in it (500?). However, look at how early the power comes, there's almost 150WHP and pretty much 150WTQ available at 5K RPM. Oh well, my point here is that obviously, the k20A is a better motor. There's no question about that. What i'm trying to shed light on is the k24's ability to reproduce the k20A's power, at a slightly earlier RPM, w/ slightly more tq (tsx is underrated btw), and half the cost. Oh well, if you wanna spend more money for more revs and higher compression go ahead. But if you're gonna do FI then don't waste your money on a k20A.

I just wanna have a powerband that looks like the one i linked...jesus that would be absolutely brutal, and rip the living shit out of almost every n/a k20A. 200WHP and 210 WTQ @ 5000 RPM...da da da damn!!! This (http://www.prototyperacing.com/dynok20.htm) k20A is doing 130WHP and like 135 WTQ @ 5000 RPM, and the cost of that engine alone prolly cost more than that setup that i linked, not to mention that it's modded. If you wanna compare peak #'s, yes its impressive that the k20A n/a and w/o .4L is getting 30 less WHP than that setup, but the power under the curve simply pwns it.

Wutever...it's your money :)