PDA

View Full Version : clunking noise, any thoughts? rear swaybar problem.

civic si hb
10-14-2003, 08:51 PM
i recently had a ctr/rsx-r rear swaybar installed and i love the performance of the bar but when ever i take aggressive or even just semi agrresive LEFT coner(turn) i get a clunking noise in the passenger side back rear of the car. it's not a single clunk but sounds like multiple clunks around the coner and turn. my suspension is at stock height and i have the stock rims and tires. i have no other mods done to the car except an intake. like i said earlier the clunking sound only comes from left turns only, right turns are all good. if anybody has any thought i sure wold appreciate it, thanks

p.s. i went to honda and of coarse they
won't do anything because it's not
the stock sway bar.:(

civic si hb
10-15-2003, 08:14 PM
anybody???

02SilverSiHB
10-15-2003, 08:35 PM
if you can, while the car is down...check to make sure your tie rod ends are tighten up real good. I know that if you install it while the car is up, you might actually have not tightened them enough. Know it sounds crazy, but it happened to someone else.

civic si hb
10-15-2003, 08:47 PM
no it doesn't sound crazy at all. when i installed it myself and a friend used a ground hydrolic jack to lift the rear end to do the install and we used just hand tools to do the install, so it makes alot of sense. i have a appointment next week to have the car put on a lift and a shop is going to uninstall the bar and then reinstall it for me for $20.00, well worth the money i beleive,thanks again.

02SilverSiHB
10-15-2003, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by civic si hb
no it doesn't sound crazy at all. when i installed it myself and a friend used a ground hydrolic jack to lift the rear end to do the install and we used just hand tools to do the install, so it makes alot of sense. i have a appointment next week to have the car put on a lift and a shop is going to uninstall the bar and then reinstall it for me for $20.00, well worth the money i beleive,thanks again.
definitely a good deal for 20 :) hope it works out

YssSI
10-15-2003, 09:45 PM
I had that same problem. Used a lift to do the install and because of the tight fit, I used hand tools to tighten down the endlinks. They eventually worked thier way loose and caused a clunking noise. Got back under the car and tightened them back down. Put good torque on them this time with no load on the suspension and havent had any more problems.

BTW for anyone who might care, I am working with a couple of studded hime joints now to make new endlinks. Similar to what Hotchkis (sp?) was selling. Will put up pics and part numbers when I get them.

Scott

raiyo
10-15-2003, 10:15 PM
did u install the bar the wrong way? I had those noise when i did mines upside down

here is link to my jdm rear sway (http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=10661)