PDA

View Full Version : Local tire shops =ripoffs!!!!

icegrill
10-15-2003, 04:57 PM
I'm set on either getting contiextremes or dunlop asymetrico 5000S in a 205/55/15. All the local tire shops I've called are more than $100 higher than ordering from the tirerack plus having them mounted and balanced. Tire rack shipped for the dunlops is 389.00 Big O, Tire Factory and others are all around $540 mounted/bal. I'm just worried about taking the tires to them and having them be careless because I didn't buy the tires from them. Anyone have and suggestions or have encountered the same problem? Thanks

andy
10-15-2003, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by icegrill
I'm set on either getting contiextremes or dunlop asymetrico 5000S in a 205/55/15. All the local tire shops I've called are more than $100 higher than ordering from the tirerack plus having them mounted and balanced. Tire rack shipped for the dunlops is 389.00 Big O, Tire Factory and others are all around $540 mounted/bal. I'm just worried about taking the tires to them and having them be careless because I didn't buy the tires from them. Anyone have and suggestions or have encountered the same problem? Thanks

Doesn't tirerack have a review section? I ask because a friend of mine
recently bought some tires off of there and had them shipped directly
to a smaller tire place (just a run of the mill garage, really). I asked
him how he found the guy and he said the guy had gotten good reviews
on that site. Maybe it was another forum, though.
Either way, I'd try a small, locally owned tire place, I'm sure they'd
have no problem mounting/balancing them for you. Heck, I even had a
Michelin place rebalance some tires/wheels I got from tirerack.com, but
you're right, they kept telling me I should have bought Michelins from
them. ;)

YssSI
10-15-2003, 10:11 PM
Most tire stores will give you a RETAIL price. That is a price set by the tire manufacturer and is a base to start at.
If you will shop around for a better price at your local tire stores you can probably get them to come down a little. No Price is set in stone unless its a chain store.

And yes Tirerack, Wheelmax, and 50 other companies make good money by offering discount prices. They buy in bulk and sell in volume. That is all part of business.

Ever look at what else a local shop can offer?? How about immediate customer service if you have a problem?? If you get a scratched wheel from tirerack, you have to ship it back to them at your expense. They can swap it right away or within a day usually. Local shops can also remember you on your next visit and hook you up cuz you are a repeat customer. And you have waiting time when you order. Also, I gladly pay a little extra for that piece of mind that I can see what I am buying before I give up my cash. Yes I am all about getting the most out of my dollar, but the little bit you pay now may save you more later.

Before you order them froim the rack, print a copy of the Tirerack page and take it to them. They maybe can't beat it or even match it, but I bet they will come close to it. If you figure $389.00 shipped plus $40 or $50 to M&B&I, thats $429.00. $540.00 minus 6% tax (around here anyways) is 509 and change. Yes you have to pay taxes, its one of those things. $80 bucks difference. $20 a tire. Not that much of a difference to make them a ripoff. Maybe if it was like $50 a tire, I would say yeah, they are rippin you off. They are just trying to pay their bills. Go SHOW them what price you can get it for and they should be willing to work with you. If they don't, shop around, you will find someone that will. You have to show them though, cuz they hear that line all day. If you can show them proof, they will do it. I should know, I work in a wheel and tire store.

Just trying to help out and keep tire shops reps intact

:D

Scott
Damn that got long fast. Sorry bout that.

bobdobbs
10-15-2003, 10:45 PM
Sorry, bro, I can't help you on your specific question, but I give two thumbs-up on the ContiExtremes... :D