PDA

View Full Version : oz superlegga gold

anti-hu
10-15-2003, 06:15 PM
does anyone know the offset for the 17x7 superlegga gold wheels. and while your at it wth is offset in general, and how does it affect fitting the wheel on the car.

andy
10-15-2003, 06:51 PM
Originally posted by anti-hu
does anyone know the offset for the 17x7 superlegga gold wheels. and while your at it wth is offset in general, and how does it affect fitting the wheel on the car.

Ever seen a car with the wheels sticking way out on the side of the
car (old school low-rider style)? That's because those wheels are the
wrong offset.
Offset is the distance from the inner portion of the wheel (where it
bolts to your hubs) to the inside of the wheel (I could have this
backward - it could be distance to the outside of the wheel, but either
way, it just makes the offset +/-). If you go to tirerack.com, I
think they have a diagram/explanation of it.

I think someone else on here has the OZ wheels - my guess is there offset
is between +40 and +48 or so and I think the Si can comfortably
handle +40-44, but don't quote me on that.

bobdobbs
10-15-2003, 07:21 PM
My Superleggeras are +37, which means they extend a bit more than stock, but not ghetto-style. I don't know what the 17's offset is, but if they're +37, they'd be fine.

chunky
10-15-2003, 07:38 PM
Originally posted by andy
Ever seen a car with the wheels sticking way out on the side of the
car (old school low-rider style)? That's because those wheels are the
wrong offset.
Offset is the distance from the inner portion of the wheel (where it
bolts to your hubs) to the inside of the wheel (I could have this
backward - it could be distance to the outside of the wheel, but either
way, it just makes the offset +/-). If you go to tirerack.com, I
think they have a diagram/explanation of it.

I think someone else on here has the OZ wheels - my guess is there offset
is between +40 and +48 or so and I think the Si can comfortably
handle +40-44, but don't quote me on that.

offset is actually defined as the distance from the centerline of the wheel to the mating surface of the hub. So if the hub is mounted on the same plane as the centerline of the wheel, then the offset is zero. If the hub is to the outside of the centerline of the wheel, then the offset is positive, if the hub is to the inside of the centerline of the wheel, then the offset is negative.

Less positive offset gives you a wider track = good. I wouldn't suggest going too extreme with it though, but anything less than 1/2" of offset change should be fine.

andy
10-15-2003, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by chunky
offset is actually defined as the distance from the centerline of the wheel to the mating surface of the hub. So if the hub is mounted on the same plane as the centerline of the wheel, then the offset is zero. If the hub is to the outside of the centerline of the wheel, then the offset is positive, if the hub is to the inside of the centerline of the wheel, then the offset is negative.

Less positive offset gives you a wider track = good. I wouldn't suggest going too extreme with it though, but anything less than 1/2" of offset change should be fine.

Thanks chunky, I totally booted that one. Doh! At least I reference
tirerack, I think they have it there... ;)

anti-hu
10-15-2003, 08:55 PM
did some searching on google and the gold Superleggeras are 48mm offset. will these wheels fit on an si? they're 17x7

bobdobbs
10-15-2003, 08:59 PM
Originally posted by anti-hu
did some searching on google and the gold Superleggeras are 48mm offset. whats the offset on the si's stock wheels?
They're +42 or +43, but they're 6.5" wide, so you can't compare numbers directly. +48 on a 7" rim would not work on our cars, unless MAYBE you went with a really skinny tire. I would stay away. It would probably rub on the inside. You want around +40, plus or minus 3 or 4.