PDA

View Full Version : Any of you guys take your car in for the regular 'service checks'?

potator
10-16-2003, 12:01 AM
Like those things that come in the mail from the dealer, telling you to come in for regular service and maintenance checks at so and so miles. I've received two so far, but haven't gone to any of them yet. I've never taken my car back to the dealer once I bought it and drove it off the lot. I know most of you guys here really know your stuff about cars (compared to me at least) so most of you guys probably don't go to those 'service checks' and just do your own maintenance. I'm just wondering, what exactly does the dealer do when you take it in? And do you have to leave your car there? If so, how long? And I really don't like to have to take my car to the dealer, as somebody mentioned that your car seems to get more fucked up the more you take it in. And some even mentioned about the lousy mechanics who arent' careful and just spill shit all over your car. Not cool. I'd like to avoid going to the dealer as much as possible, especially if these service checks aren't free. By the way, is there a price for the service checks, or are they free? And finally, for those of you who do your own maintenance, or those who know what the dealers do at so and so miles, what are the things that I have to do to take well care of my EP? Please list the things I need to do, and at how many miles. Sorry for the long post, and thanks a bunch for reading.

andy
10-16-2003, 12:11 AM
Your manual for your car should have all the service check ups,
including what each one details. I believe there's also a honda.com
website somewhere that will give you the same details, plus reminders.

Unless you worked out some sort of service plan into your loan/warranty,
then no, these aren't free. You can do most of them yourself (it's
very easy to rotate your tires, check your brake pads, change radiator
fluid, change your own oil, etc) and what you can't do, you can probably have
done by a mechanic of your choice for cheaper. That's not to say there
is something wrong with having it all done at a dealer (convenience
wise), though, too.

One thing I always hated about service at the dealer is the weight - like 1.5 hours, just to change my oil. So you'll definitely be waiting
around if you take your car into the dealer for these check ups. Shouldn't be too long, but it's not 15 min checkup, unless they are
really good.

Zero Three Si
10-16-2003, 07:04 AM
These checkups are by no means free.

I thought I heard/saw that the 10k mile checkup is like 100-150 bucks.
All they really do is change your oil, rotate your tires, and supposedly "CHECK" all other vitals. More times then not, the mechanic says oh yeah sure they brakes look fine, etc.

Get your oil change somewhere else, the wait will be less or just do it yourself. To rotate your tires, just jack up the car and put your rear tires on the front and your front tires on the rear. You should do this about every 6,000 miles....well at least that's how often I do mine.

02HatchSI
10-16-2003, 07:43 AM
yeah i work at honda so yeah they change oil, throw on a new filter, check tire pressure, yada yada... and then i clean em.... basically for the work they do its not worth the $$$ but everybody's gotta make money somehow... I guess if every individual wasn't soo lazy they wouldn't need mechanics and shit.

Zero Three Si
10-16-2003, 07:58 AM
Originally posted by 02HatchSI
yeah i work at honda so yeah they change oil, throw on a new filter, check tire pressure, yada yada... and then i clean em.... basically for the work they do its not worth the $$$ but everybody's gotta make money somehow... I guess if every individual wasn't soo lazy they wouldn't need mechanics and shit.

Thanks for the tip...good looking out for fellow EP'ers

potator
10-16-2003, 10:15 AM
Cool, thanks for the reply guys. So basically there's no need for me to go and take it in? I get my oil changes regularly, and they change the filter for me also. The only thing I haven't done yet is rotate the tires, which I should right about now, since my EP is at 6200 miles. I know many of you guys will laugh, but I don't even know how to jack up my car and change the wheels. :o :crym: Is there a guide somewhere that a newbie can use? Let me emphasize on that *newbie* part. All my friends who even drive live at least 3 hours away, so there's nobody I can turn to at the moment. If anyone can point me towards a handy good guide that a newb can use, or just plain give me tips on how to do it, it would be really cool. Thanks a lot in advance.

andy
10-16-2003, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by potator
Cool, thanks for the reply guys. So basically there's no need for me to go and take it in? I get my oil changes regularly, and they change the filter for me also. The only thing I haven't done yet is rotate the tires, which I should right about now, since my EP is at 6200 miles. I know many of you guys will laugh, but I don't even know how to jack up my car and change the wheels. :o :crym: Is there a guide somewhere that a newbie can use? Let me emphasize on that *newbie* part. All my friends who even drive live at least 3 hours away, so there's nobody I can turn to at the moment. If anyone can point me towards a handy good guide that a newb can use, or just plain give me tips on how to do it, it would be really cool. Thanks a lot in advance.

Don't worry - I was in the same position. Never knew how to change a
tire until I blew one out in my S10 coming home from college one
night. Had to learn quick.
It's all in your user manual that came with the car - I highly suggest
you read it. That should show you the jack points and how to change/rotate
tires.
When it comes to changing oil or other fluids, you can usually find
that info via google. Howstuffworks.com is probably also a good source
of info.
Lastly, use us! This message board is here for a reason, so if you
have a question, even if it's stupid, just ask! I know I've had to
ask many, many dumb questions as I started learning about cars...

bloodzombie
10-16-2003, 03:50 PM
I know how to change a tire, but as for rotating them, how do you get that done? do you take one off, put the spare on, then jack the other corner? seems like a real pain in the ass if you don't have access to a shop.

andy
10-16-2003, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by bloodzombie
I know how to change a tire, but as for rotating them, how do you get that done? do you take one off, put the spare on, then jack the other corner? seems like a real pain in the ass if you don't have access to a shop.

I just used two jacks. One on the drivers side front, one on drivers
side rear. Switch, let the car down, do the other side.
A guy on honda-tech (Yack, aka BX18CR or something) jacked up his Si
in the rear somewhere and was able to get 3 wheels off the ground. Heh
(he posted a pic to demonstrate the rigidity of the chassis).

SiR Medic
10-16-2003, 04:11 PM
I just take my car in.

This is my first new car, and I'd like to keep the resale as high as possible.

Also, I'd rather pay the extra $$ to get the car taken care of for me. I don't have a hoist, I'm not that mechanically inclined, and I like knowing that everything is going to be done RIGHT.

Also, I get to spend the time enjoying the "New Honda" smell, and chatting things up with my salesperson... Did I mention she's frickin' GORGEOUS!:D

02TafWhtSi
10-16-2003, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by SiR Medic
and I like knowing that everything is going to be done RIGHT.

This may be up for debate with some dealerships :rolleyes:

itwasfate02si
10-16-2003, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by 02TafWhtSi
This may be up for debate with some dealerships :rolleyes:

I'm going to have to agree. Just because they wear a shirt that says honda doesn't mean they know all there is to know. I trust very few people to work on my car. I've had ten year old (or older) cars my whole life, this is my first new car. If you own ten year old cars you either learn to work on them or you pay out the rear end and take them to a mechanic. In the interest of not screwing up my new car, and the fact that it's still under warranty I take my new car to the dealership. The method I use is I ask which mechanic has worked on my model before. When I found him, I always take my car back and ask for him. I don't talk to the service reps, the suit and tie does not impress me. What I like is a mechanic who actually listens to what the problem is and doesn't try to argue with me about what is wrong with me car. I drive the damn thing everyday, I should know. Driving it around the dealership lot does not mean there's nothing wrong with it. The guy I take my car to, takes the time with me, and in turn I listen to his advice. I can't understand why people take their cars back to honda dealers who tell them there is nothing wrong with their car, when clearly they know there is. Honestly, is that the only honda dealership near you, more than likely it's not.

Sarah....done with my ranting....

02hatchgrl
10-16-2003, 08:49 PM
These checkups are by no means free.
I went in there and the prices go up everytime you go in!!!
I took mine in when I first got it for oil changes untill I could find the oil filter somewhere else. I have taken it in for breaks and a tune-up. $$$$$

:confused:

Zero Three Si
10-17-2003, 07:21 AM
Originally posted by bloodzombie

Get a good floor jack like a 2 1/2 ton jack...put a piece of wood on it...put it right under your driver or passenger side door....and take off both tires....and switch them.

Mugen Power
10-17-2003, 07:43 AM
I took the car in for the 10k service, even though it was minor maintenance stuff. I usually change the oil myself but the filter on this car is frickin hard to reach. I figured I'd let them handle it this time around. :D

Besides, I also needed an excuse to bring the car in on a Saturday to complain about the tranny, since that dealer only takes scheduled maintenance appointments on Saturdays.

BTW, the dealer I go to has their own maintenance schedules and they try to get me to come in at those times but I only follow the ones in the manual.

Zero Three Si
10-17-2003, 07:47 AM
Originally posted by Mugen Power
I took the car in for the 10k service, even though it was minor maintenance stuff. I usually change the oil myself but the filter on this car is frickin hard to reach. I figured I'd let them handle it this time around. :D

Besides, I also needed an excuse to bring the car in on a Saturday to complain about the tranny, since that dealer only takes scheduled maintenance appointments on Saturdays.

BTW, the dealer I go to has their own maintenance schedules and they try to get me to come in at those times but I only follow the ones in the manual.

So did they rape you for like what $180 bucks?

Mugen Power
10-17-2003, 09:39 AM
Nope, I'm pretty sure it was a touch over $100. I don't remember exactly cuz it was a while ago. Sure, I could've saved that money but I don't really have the time to do that simple maintenance and the last two times I changed the oil myself, it took me 2+ hours trying to get the filter on and off. I guess I need more practice so I can cut down on the time. :D

potator
10-17-2003, 11:56 AM
Our cars only come with one jack, correct? So I'd have to find another sort of jack to raise the other end also? I think I will just let a shop rorate the wheels for me. I don't want to mess anything up accidentally. So where can I get my tires rotated? I'd like to avoid taking it to the dealer. Will gas stations and such do it? If so, how much? And my car is 100% bone stock. Are all 4 wheels/tires EXACTLY the same? So rotating a tire to any new spot will make absolutely no difference? (like ride height, etc.) Just want to make sure before I go out and do it. Thanks for the posts guys.

andy
10-17-2003, 12:20 PM
Our cars only come with one jack, correct? So I'd have to find another sort of jack to raise the other end also? I think I will just let a shop rorate the wheels for me. I don't want to mess anything up accidentally. So where can I get my tires rotated? I'd like to avoid taking it to the dealer. Will gas stations and such do it? If so, how much? And my car is 100% bone stock. Are all 4 wheels/tires EXACTLY the same? So rotating a tire to any new spot will make absolutely no difference? (like ride height, etc.) Just want to make sure before I go out and do it. Thanks for the posts guys.

Any tire shop should be able to rotate your tires. Tire Kingdom, any
place like that.
Rotating your tires is so easy (it's just a mild pain), though. You
should buy a good jack for your car, anyway, if you ever plan to do
any work on it. The stock one is really just for roadside emergencies.
I ended up buying a 2.5 ton hydraulic jack at Pepboys for like $20.
The correct rotation of your tires should be in your manual. On my
old car, you just went front->back, back-> and didn't switch sides.
I think this is the case with any 'directional' tire.

Zero Three Si
10-17-2003, 12:26 PM
The tires you have on the rear should go on the front of the car...

you dont put the passenger side tires on the drivers side.

eurosteez
10-17-2003, 08:32 PM
When I bought my car(and extended warranty) the salesdick said free checkups for a year. I go in today for the 10k(my car has 8700Miles) expecting it to be free and the fucker charges me 70 bucks for the basic shit: oil,filter, check fuel lines blah blah blah. I was so pissed I bitched at like 10 different people all to find out the only thing free is the first oil change before 5k.:mad:

After reading this thread I guess it wasnt that bad compared to 180 bucks but it still pist me off that the fucker straight up lied to me.
On a good note, They did retorque and lube the rear suspension for free to stop the squeeking(under warranty).:m:

potator
10-17-2003, 10:30 PM
Cool, I just read through my owner's manual, and for the US, 'normal driving conditions' which apply to me, it says the first official service checkup should be at 10,000 miles? Man, that must mean my Honda dealer is just trying to strip me of cash, since they've already sent me about 3 mails telling me to come in for service at 1000, 3500, and 7500 miles. The manual only lists an oil change and tire rotation for the first 10,000 mile checkup. Is this correct? I thought they would be doing more at 10,000 miles, also given that this is the first 'official' checkup. According to the manual, all the hectic stuff comes in at the second checkup, which is scheduled here at 20,000 miles. Basically it doesn't say anything about any checkups or what not before 10,000 miles. Kinda relieving for me. So is following the maintenance schedule in the owner's manual by my odometer, and ignoring the dealerships mails cool? Opinions please.

brendanSI
10-17-2003, 10:47 PM
When I took my car in for 10k and oil. The dealership didnt put the oil filter all the way on and I lost a shit-load of oil. DIY for life!!!! People who do service on cars dont care IMO. I do service work ( install fireplaces ) and I feel i am the only one who gives a flying fuck about the customer.

The asshole at the dealership tred to tell me it was a falty filter and they have never seen that before. I told them when i tightened up the filter it didnt leak... and they gave me no response.

DIY.

btw- im wasted and mad :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: hehe :D

civicracer.com
10-17-2003, 10:50 PM
as i honda certified tech
i see this topic everyday of my life

cars that are not maintained by honda dealer is in much worse condition than cars that is serviced by honda

i am not trying to make a sales pitch....just experience

beleive me before working for www.burnshonda.com i did not beleive in honda service...i always thought they were over priced and not needed....

after 5 years.... i am totally convinced

one thing i do not agree on is the first service of 7500 miles

cars that wait that long tend to have less oil...

so i suggest personally...that first service should be 5000 miles and oil change every 4000 miles after that

the choice is yours and mines to make

: )

brendanSI
10-17-2003, 11:13 PM
^^ I agree, but dealerships in MY local area = shit. IMO and IMO only. I would love to take my car in to a certified dealership, but ievertime i do, something goes wrong.

bah fuck NY honda

potator
10-17-2003, 11:22 PM
Originally posted by civicracer.com
as i honda certified tech
i see this topic everyday of my life

cars that are not maintained by honda dealer is in much worse condition than cars that is serviced by honda

i am not trying to make a sales pitch....just experience

beleive me before working for www.burnshonda.com i did not beleive in honda service...i always thought they were over priced and not needed....

after 5 years.... i am totally convinced

one thing i do not agree on is the first service of 7500 miles

cars that wait that long tend to have less oil...

so i suggest personally...that first service should be 5000 miles and oil change every 4000 miles after that

the choice is yours and mines to make

: )

This might be up for some debate as well.

eurosteez
10-18-2003, 11:14 AM
Cool, I just read through my owner's manual, and for the US, 'normal driving conditions' which apply to me, it says the first official service checkup should be at 10,000 miles? Man, that must mean my Honda dealer is just trying to strip me of cash, since they've already sent me about 3 mails telling me to come in for service at 1000, 3500, and 7500 miles. The manual only lists an oil change and tire rotation for the first 10,000 mile checkup. Is this correct? I thought they would be doing more at 10,000 miles, also given that this is the first 'official' checkup. According to the manual, all the hectic stuff comes in at the second checkup, which is scheduled here at 20,000 miles. Basically it doesn't say anything about any checkups or what not before 10,000 miles. Kinda relieving for me. So is following the maintenance schedule in the owner's manual by my odometer, and ignoring the dealerships mails cool? Opinions please.
The 10k checkup is more than just oil. Oil only is at 5k.
10k should consist of: change oil and filter plus check clutch assembly and fluid, check cooling system and fuel system. inspect brakes, and other stuff. Its listed as the "B" checkup in the manual. Its all just minor service still.

And I had to add a bunch of oil at around 4k and 7k cuz she was drinking it.

potator
10-18-2003, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by eurosteez
The 10k checkup is more than just oil. Oil only is at 5k.
10k should consist of: change oil and filter plus check clutch assembly and fluid, check cooling system and fuel system. inspect brakes, and other stuff. Its listed as the "B" checkup in the manual. Its all just minor service still.

And I had to add a bunch of oil at around 4k and 7k cuz she was drinking it.

Are you sure? In my owner's manual (USDM) under the 'normal driving conditions' schedule, the first schedule checkup is listed at 10,000, and it says "Do items listed in A" And under the A category, there only exists oil change and tire rotation. All the other stuff you mentioned are in the B category, and they are not said to do in the first 10,000 checkup. The second checkup is at 20,000 miles, and now that one says to "Do items listed in A and B". Please double check and get back to me, I'm not critisizing at all; for all I know, I may have a faulty manual. Thanks for the insight. Anybody else?

eurosteez
10-18-2003, 01:38 PM
Are you sure? In my owner's manual (USDM) under the 'normal driving conditions' schedule, the first schedule checkup is listed at 10,000, and it says "Do items listed in A" And under the A category, there only exists oil change and tire rotation. All the other stuff you mentioned are in the B category, and they are not said to do in the first 10,000 checkup. The second checkup is at 20,000 miles, and now that one says to "Do items listed in A and B". Please double check and get back to me, I'm not critisizing at all; for all I know, I may have a faulty manual. Thanks for the insight. Anybody else?

Yup your right. Just another reason I wanna rip the spinal cord out of that fuckin Mechanic\cashier. He showed me the severe conditions list and told me it was for normal conditions. Without my permission, he did all that B shit on my car and it only has 8800 miles on it!! What pisses me off most is that he told me what he did AFTER he did all that shit. :mad: :mad: :mad: DIY from now on for sure.
I'm gonna call them right now and rage!!!!!

siver-SI
10-18-2003, 04:48 PM
I got my oil change at the dealership because I was having other work done to it at the same time. Right now my rear deforoster is not working right the 6th line down the window is not working. so I am waiting till about 7,000 mile to get my second oil change and I am going to get the window fixed too. Their oil change is only $18 bucks.

stephen
10-19-2003, 10:51 AM
I take my car into my local mechanic who mostly works domestics, but is pretty ace with Hondas as well. He's really good, and doesn't charge a lot.