it again until December.
Anyway, I've been thinking about nitrous today - mainly because I've
never really played around with it. I'm not much a drag person, but
I think it would be cool to toy around with for a few months, then
resell or something.

Anyway, I was looking at the Edelbrock kit - about $500. The only
thing I don't understand is that it says it is a "direct port" kit
and that it goes directly into the intake manifold runners. But from
looking at the picture, it seems like something is missing?
http://www.speedrace.com/images/civic.jpg

I dunno, I'm a nitrous noob, so maybe someone can point that part out
to me. What I'm essentially wondering is if I could install this
myself (I've got the electrical part down, but I wouldn't want to drill
into my manifold/fuel rail myself).

DynaSpeed
10-17-2003, 01:23 PM
Well, if you get what's in the picture, then you'll only need to drill one hole in your CAI or airbox, cuz with a true direct you'll have 4 nozzles, 1 for each of your intake runners.

andy
10-17-2003, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by DynaSpeed
Well, if you get what's in the picture, then you'll only need to drill one hole in your CAI or airbox, cuz with a true direct you'll have 4 nozzles, 1 for each of your intake runners.

That's what I was wondering...see, according to their website:

Performer EFI Wet Nitrous Systems utilize the new Edelbrock/Steele Series 1 Nitrous Nozzle to give you maximum atomization with your factory high-pressure fuel pump. The Series 1 nozzle injects a fuel/nitrous mixture, atomized to a fine mist, directly into the intake runners of your manifold. This nozzle is the same one that is used in our new direct-port Competition Nitrous Kits.

But I don't understand how it gets in the runners? Which piece
pictured delivers it and do you have to drill? I dun geeeet it, man. ;)

sniperSI
10-17-2003, 02:17 PM
Don't look at that kit, look at the Nitrous Xpress kit, get an after market fuel rail and squeeze away.

DynaSpeed
10-17-2003, 02:50 PM
Don't look at that kit, look at the Nitrous Xpress kit, get an after market fuel rail and squeeze away.
I wouldn't even go that far if you're on a budget... the stock rail is adequate.
Andy - the way I read the article from edelbrock is correct... the EFI system that is shown in the pic uses 1 of the nozzles that they would typically use for the true direct-port. See the black nozzle that looks like a "Y"? The 'end' piece (bottom) gets put into a hole that you drill into your intake.

sniperSI
10-17-2003, 03:13 PM
Yes but w/o fuel return line its just not that great, be it, running a low shot it really won't matter that much you will get enough fuel but, also, when you are spraying 1 nozzle into your intake you don't know how much of nitrous each cylinder is getting, I'd say find another wet kit.

Vertigo
10-17-2003, 08:45 PM
I am partial to the NX kit also. One reason to get a fuel rail, such as the AEM is so you don't have to cut and tap your factory fuel line. Instead, you just screw the feed fuel line to a AN fitting on the end of the rail.

andy
10-18-2003, 07:30 PM
Cool, thanks for the responses.
I'd prefer the direct port/fuel rail approach, mainly so for the
already mentioned affect of not knowing which cylinder is getting
what and it just seems like a more sensable approach.
That said, I'd prefer to not have to drill anything, be it intake
mani or intake. Guess I should look more into the AEM fuel rail
and NX kit. Or maybe I should just buy coilovers. ;)

andy
10-20-2003, 11:50 AM
Just an FYI, here's Edelbrock's response to some of my questions
about this kit:

The system uses a single "wet" nozzle which injects the Nitrous/Fuel mixture into the intake tract just before the throttle body, allowing the nitrous mixture to be distributed evenly between all cylinders by passing through the intake manifold. The nozzle requires drilling one 7/16" hole into the intake pipe about 2-3" away from the throttle body, in which a collar is mounted that allows the nozzle to be threaded into. Unfortunately, there is not an adapter available that allows the nozzle to be mounted without drilling. Feel free to contact me if you have any further questions.

Sincerely,
Ryan Scoltock
Edelbrock Corp.

Vertigo
10-20-2003, 07:35 PM
That sounds like a strait foward answer. Basic nitrous knowledge.

sniperSI
10-21-2003, 06:20 AM
Originally posted by andy
Just an FYI, here's Edelbrock's response to some of my questions
about this kit:

It sounds like edelbrock french for a 'dry kit'.

Edelbrock CAI turbo anyone?

The system uses a single "Charge" pipe which forces air into the intake tract just before the throttle body.

andy
10-21-2003, 01:00 PM
Here's one more tidbit he sent:

Yes, on a direct port system, it would require drilling the intake manifold.
Being that this is a 40-70 hp kit, it only requires the single nozzle in the
intake tract. A direct port system would be capable of delivering much
higher hp gains, but requires many more modifications to the engine, such as
forged pistons, performance ignition and adjustable ignition timing, a
dedicated fuel pump and additional fuel lines, and of course modifying the
intake manifold.

As someone else mentioned, fairly straight forward.
I was just confused, as the kit is advertised as a "direct port/EFI"
system, when really it's just a standard "wet" kit. I guess their
bigger kits are really direct port. /shrug

Vertigo
10-21-2003, 08:20 PM
With so many different "wet" kits on the market, I figured there trying to get a leg up the competion with that marketing ploy.

K-Series
10-22-2003, 04:48 AM
Originally posted by sniperSI
Yes but w/o fuel return line its just not that great, be it, running a low shot it really won't matter that much you will get enough fuel but, also, when you are spraying 1 nozzle into your intake you don't know how much of nitrous each cylinder is getting, I'd say find another wet kit.

No matter how much fuel your rail delivers, you're still limited to the duty that the stock injectors are set at. A new high flow rail won't help without new injectors to deliver the extra fuel.

As for the nature of this wet kit, EVERY manufactuer makes a single port wet kit like this. It's not "french" for dry kit, it's a fuel/N2O mix that get's sprayed (like described by Eddlebrock) right into the TB from the intake pipe.

Direct port has risks as well and completely destroys your intake manifold. If you decide you don't want to run it anymore, you have to get a new manifold.

This is the way to go for the average "tuner" I think.

Good luck,

eurosteez
08-30-2010, 03:29 PM
bump for an informative thread bringin it back from the dead.

Anyone running the edelbrock these days?

skep18
08-30-2010, 03:39 PM
allowing the nitrous mixture to be distributed evenly between all cylinders by passing through the intake manifold.

I'm suspicious of the level of truth in this statement.

Jharobikesr2
10-29-2010, 08:06 PM
nitrous is very..i would like to say....Unpredictable? from my experiences, my own two cents would be do nothing more than a 50 shot(wet) on the stock a3. Nitrous puts huge amount of shock into your motor. I would recommend using some kind of engine management, Kpro is good for nitrous.

Also, i would not run any sort of "dry" nitrous without investing in larger injectors.. Many times motors will lean out when using nitrous on the stock fuel system..

Just do your research, and good-luck. Keep us informed.

kineticenrage
10-29-2010, 09:30 PM
I dabbled in nitrous a little while ago and I had a wet kit from NOS. It was set up with a "Y" nozzle drilled into the intake. the research i did basically said that a max shot of 75 should be used on a stock motor, anything more than that you run a risk of grenading your engine. but you can run a 75 shot all day every day with no issues, at least in my own personal experiences.