PDA

View Full Version : Ep Alternator output?

Speck
10-17-2003, 04:00 PM
Anyone know how many amps our alts put out? If you know what it is at idle and at peak, I will give you a cookie :)

-=speck=-

jandetuning
10-17-2003, 11:50 PM
Originally posted by Speck
Anyone know how many amps our alts put out? If you know what it is at idle and at peak, I will give you a cookie :)

-=speck=-

Idle output is around 16 amps and peak is 80 amps.

Now where's my cookie?:sadm:

chubbychu
10-17-2003, 11:55 PM
you can have a whole stack of cookes... (((((((((((((((()

Speck
10-18-2003, 05:12 AM
The cookies are on the way!

Thanks! Wow... only 16amps at idle? OK, time to save up for a new alt!

-=speck=-

jaydub
10-19-2003, 07:18 PM
Originally posted by Speck
The cookies are on the way!

Thanks! Wow... only 16amps at idle? OK, time to save up for a new alt!

-=speck=-

Won't matter, there's a voltage regulator *somewhere* which limits idle output to 16amps.

Speck
10-19-2003, 08:17 PM
You have got to be kidding me....

-=speck=-

jandetuning
10-19-2003, 09:04 PM
Originally posted by jaydub
Won't matter, there's a voltage regulator *somewhere* which limits idle output to 16amps.

It's not because of a voltage regulator. Threr is simply not enough RPM to build a strong magnetic field within the alternator. The higher the RPM, the faster the rotor spins, creating a stronger magnetic field, and more power.

jaydub
10-20-2003, 08:18 AM
Originally posted by jandetuning
It's not because of a voltage regulator. Threr is simply not enough RPM to build a strong magnetic field within the alternator. The higher the RPM, the faster the rotor spins, creating a stronger magnetic field, and more power.

:uh: you're right, I'm thinking in terms of it keeping the voltage at a static 14.4v, that's what the regulator is for. I'm still debating whether a higher output alternator would be really beneficial though, I've seen a few people on ClubRSX running 1000w+ systems on a stock alternator.

jandetuning
10-20-2003, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by jaydub
:uh: you're right, I'm thinking in terms of it keeping the voltage at a static 14.4v, that's what the regulator is for. I'm still debating whether a higher output alternator would be really beneficial though, I've seen a few people on ClubRSX running 1000w+ systems on a stock alternator.

The Phoenix Gold ZPA0.5 I use to power my two 10s is rated for 1000 watts alone, and it is driving a 2 ohm bridge. There haven't been any issues with the stock alt yet.:m: