PDA

View Full Version : What is up with my Brakes???

cinprogrunt
10-18-2003, 12:10 PM
Is it just me or do the EP

potator
10-18-2003, 12:55 PM
This is my first car, and my 02 EP had 40 something miles when I bought it!(new) But even then, everything felt normal, brakes felt solid, transmission also. But I guess I can't say much since this is my first car. But I drove my mom's car around sometimes, and also some of my friends, and they all felt similar. Didn't feel as if my car was lacking in any braking power.

bobdobbs
10-18-2003, 01:11 PM
The brakes are weak on our cars, which seems to be because of soft pads. You can upgrade the pads and get much better performance. Do a search here and you'll find some specific reccomendations.

Driftin SI
10-18-2003, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by bobdobbs
The brakes are weak on our cars, which seems to be because of soft pads. You can upgrade the pads and get much better performance. Do a search here and you'll find some specific reccomendations.

What Bob said, I prefer Hawk pads myself.

Tenacious G
10-18-2003, 05:47 PM
the tires also play a hand in this, i believe. 195 all season tread does not equate to great stopping power.

siver-SI
10-18-2003, 07:15 PM
Brake pads are the number one problem and then I think it is the tires and last is the rotors. I want to upgrade all 3 over the winter when some shocks come out and I am going to install my springs all at once. I am going to go with better pads and some drilled and slotted rotors and I think I will be good with some new 17 on the ground.

cinprogrunt
10-18-2003, 10:29 PM
Thanks for all the advice everyone! As I figured, bad tires combined with weak pads is the main reason for the poor braking power. I plan on replaceing the pads and tires pretty soon anyways. I also plan on getting some braided steel brake lines. With all that in place, I imagine the brakes will be quite good!

Thanks again...:)

chunky
10-19-2003, 08:07 PM
biggest problem with braking is the tires.

the biggest problem with brake FEEL (pedal effort required to slow car down) is the brake fluid.

Before you spend a lot of money on anything, bleed your brakes using valvoline synthetic dot 4/5 fluid. It will firm up the pedal quite a bit.

If that's still not enough, get some new pads. Almost any aftermarket pad will start tripping the ABS like crazy.

Then you get stickier/wider rubber. And you'll realize that the pads aren't quite grabby enough.

So you get even more agressive pads, and you start realizing that brake fade is a real concern with all the extra heat generated from a high friction brake pad + more agressive use.

So you get the SS braided lines to help keep the fluid cool.

Upgrading brakes is an ongoing process, but I suggest you start with new brake fluid & pads. You'll be surprised at the difference in pedal feel & modulation. The biggest difference in absolute braking distances will come from new tires though. the pads & fluid will give you more confidence during braking, but the tires will slow you down faster.

cinprogrunt
10-19-2003, 08:42 PM
Any suggestions on where to buy braided steel brake lines? I have heard that Brake Zone offers the best deals, not to mention the only place I can find that sells them for our cars.

Thanks...

chunky
10-19-2003, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by cinprogrunt
Any suggestions on where to buy braided steel brake lines? I have heard that Brake Zone offers the best deals, not to mention the only place I can find that sells them for our cars.

Thanks...

any place that sells goodridge lines should be able to get the lines. Sherwin sells the goodridge lines.

Personally, the braided lines aren't very important until you're dealing with really high brake temps - auto-x won't get the brakes that hot, but road racing & mountain driving will. If you're not driving in a fashion that results in noticeable brake fade, then braided lines offer very marginal help.

I can execute several 100+ to 0mph stops before I notice any brake fade due to the flex in the brake lines. That's certainly not something I do in the auto-x or in regular daily driving so I haven't invested in the SS lines yet. But when I start road racing the ep, I'll have them. :)