PDA

View Full Version : Anyone help me trouble shoot the problem with my s2000 start button?

02SilverSiHB
10-18-2003, 04:28 PM
here's my ghetto fabulous mod for the relocation of the hazard button
http://a3.cpimg.com/image/E3/93/24836323-1675-02000180-.jpg
http://a2.cpimg.com/image/D8/93/24836312-2be4-02000180-.jpg

It worked for a while...but now it doesn't.
First the button would make a sound...like a clicking sound just before starting the car, but wouldn't start. Now the damn thing doesn't make a sound. I know the ground is good, the power is good, and the ignition wire is good. I'm getting the light to come on the button, so I don't get. I guess I got screwed on clubrsx.com from the guy I bought this from.

Or those skinny ass wires on the back of the plug (I had to make a little mod for that, I didn't get the wire harness) are what is causing the problem. I noticed once I tried starting the button and it didn't work, I'd feel the wires and they were hot...just the skinny ones. I have the skinny ones spliced into thicker wires which lead to the correct ignition/power/ground wires.
Here's a better pic of the plug I used to insert in the s2000 button harness
http://a5.cpimg.com/image/DB/93/24836315-cffb-02000180-.jpg

Any ideas anyone on how to fix this? I like having ricey shit like this help me :D

fongitis
10-24-2003, 03:16 PM
I have a s2000 start button, but I have it connected to a relay. This is done to prevent overloading the switch. First, make sure the appropriate wires are routed to the correct prongs. Looking directly behind the switch at the harness plug with the words "Engine Start" facing right side up on the other end (button end), there should be 5 small prongs. The two prongs on the left are not utilized. If you are utilizing the button without the relay, the third prong from the left should be attached to the ground wire. The fourth prong from the left should be attached to the ACC wire (blk/rd). The fifth prong from the left (last prong) should be attached to the Starter wire blk/wht). The button should start the vehicle once you insert the key, turn it to on, engage the clutch, and push the button. Personally, I have never tried a hook up like this. I used a relay (hard to explain without a diagram). Let us know how it goes. :)

STP03BlueSI
10-27-2003, 09:02 AM
I ran mine thru a relay. much safer i think.

02SilverSiHB
10-27-2003, 12:30 PM
I have the wires up correctly...it worked for a while,then stopped working...where can I get this relay thing and where does it go?
I think Paxie may have the idea that it's the computer wire coming from the plug that I used. I need to try rewiring it.

glw
10-27-2003, 02:48 PM
do you have a meter? it should be an open across the two used pins when the switch isn't depresessed and something like a short when it is depressed. if that is fine, ohm out the wires individually... if all is well, your parts are good and the problem is elsewhere (in the car).

02SilverSiHB
10-27-2003, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by glw
do you have a meter? it should be an open across the two used pins when the switch isn't depresessed and something like a short when it is depressed. if that is fine, ohm out the wires individually... if all is well, your parts are good and the problem is elsewhere (in the car).
thanks, I have a meter, I'll have to try that once I get my car back :D it's in the shop getting a mugen type r fully built race motor and tranny

not, it's getting the tranny fixed :D

r3p00c
10-31-2003, 07:33 PM
Originally posted by 02SilverSiHB
thanks, I have a meter, I'll have to try that once I get my car back :D it's in the shop getting a mugen type r fully built race motor and tranny

overnight parts from ja-pan? :D