PDA

View Full Version : scratches/ swirl marks

k20beast
10-19-2003, 03:29 AM
i have a black ep and i was just wondering what do u guys think would work on slight scratches and swirlmarks??? i use the wash and wax and i also u the gold class wax but i still see the scratches in my hood left by my friends nephew. would a clay bar fill thoes in???? thanx

beansbear
10-19-2003, 04:10 AM
i understand what you are going through. your best bet is to get a good light compound and a good clean white cotton (made in USA cotton) towel and buff out the scratches.

some good light duty compounds that i use are:
3M perfect it - light cut
3M swirlmark remover

i also invested in a makita buffer and some foam and wool pads.

If you are gonna own a black car and want to keep it looking good, just remember to use a clean sponge and absorber to wipe it down. use lots of water with a good soap to lift the dirt and then rinse off with a hose.

SiR Medic
10-19-2003, 06:13 AM
Clay bars don't do anything against scratches, they just remove surface contamination.

If the 3M or Maguire's scratch/swirl remover doesn't work, you could either take it to a professional detailer, or try to fix it yourself. If the scratches go all the way down to the metal, you might need some touch-up paint.

When washing your car, follow these important rules.

1. Use a nappy towel or sheepskin wash mitt that will trap dirt away from the surface.

2. Use the "2-Bucket System". 1 bucket (#1) with clean soapy water, and the other (#2) with just clean water. After you've done a few swipes with the soapy water, rinse your towel or wash mitt in bucket #2 BEFORE going back to bucket #1. This keeps your soapy water clean from beginning to end, and it will reduce the amount of fine scratches and swirls.

3. If you don't have a buffer, GET ONE. Nothing makes your car shine quite as much as a good coat of wax (I use Maguire's 3-step) and a good buffing afterward.

4. Consider a California Water blade. These don't leave water spots and work very well with the EP's contours.

5. Always use cold or lukewarm water... NEVER HOT! Hot water will melt the wax on your car.

Gs02SiR
10-19-2003, 06:29 AM
When I owned a 2000 Civic (black) I was having a lot of trouble with swirl marks and scratches. It drove me nuts and I made sure my EP was silver.

I found that to remove scratches rubbing compound works best. You can usually buff them out if they are not too deep. Just remember to re-wax any areas that you do. Also, only do small areas at a time, and work your way to the more visible areas (start with bumper or another less visible areas...if you scew up a hood your gonna see it). To remove the swirls you may want to polish your car (remove the wax) and start fresh.

As for creating swirl marks, I found they can either be caused during your washing process, or your waxing process. When buffing on wax, always have a flat hand, therefore applying even preasure. When washing, try different quality gloves or sponges. I found that it was my wash mit causing all of the swirl marks. I switched to a high quality sponge and could not believe the difference.

Anyways Good Luck!
G

Brettnyt
10-19-2003, 11:32 AM
Meguiars Swirl X

matrix
10-19-2003, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by SiR Medic
4. Consider a California Water blade. These don't leave water spots and work very well with the EP's contours.

I used to use one of these on the cars, now I only use a leaf blower. Dries the car quickly and blows water out from all the reccess you can't access with a blade or a cloth. I just follow up with Z6 after blow drying it.

Regarding the swirls, like mentioned earlier, 3M swirl remover does a great job.