PDA

View Full Version : Defrost and the Air Conditioner

NamingException
09-09-2002, 07:20 PM
I apologize if this has been covered before (a quick search didn't turn up anything) but you all know that you can turn off the "feature" that doesn't let you control the air conditioner while the defrost is on, right? It might have been covered before I started lurking here. For those of you who want sweet freedom, here are the steps involved:

1. Start with your car off. Turn your three climate control knobs all the way to the left (fan off, temp cold, blow-in-your-face mode).
2. Reach your left hand over and hold down the air recirculation and A/C buttons.
3. Start your car up.
4. Keep holding the two buttons down for 7-10 seconds. The recirculation button will start blinking. Keep holding. The A/C button will blink once. You can let go now.

Now when you turn the defroster on, the A/C still automatically turns on (convenient since the A/C also dries out the air) but if you push the A/C button you will be able to turn it off. Now you've got your performance back but can still keep the Honda Fog away.

SmoothOperator
09-09-2002, 07:34 PM
yeah Hondatech gave us this info before. But it doesn't hurt to post it again for all the noobies. I've already done it :D

Pir8pete
09-09-2002, 07:57 PM
A/C OVERRIDE

1) Have the car turned off.

2) Turn the vent knob to off (All the way to the
left, counter clock-wise).

3) Turn the temperature knob to full blue (All the
way to the left, counter clock-wise).

5) Start the car and keep both air recirculation and
A/C button pressed.

6) Wait for air recirculation button to stop
flashing.

To turn the original feature back on, repeat all
steps, but for "STEP 2", turn the knob to full red (All the
way to the right, clock-wise).

chunky
09-09-2002, 08:04 PM
wouldn't it be easier to just turn off the ac?

Spidey
09-09-2002, 08:22 PM
for you southies, you might not need to turn the heat on, but up in Canada we have to start using right now, especially in the evenings.

thanks for tip pir8pete. it's extremely annoying that when you use the defrost, the a/c come on

chunky
09-09-2002, 11:59 PM
Originally posted by Spidey
for you southies, you might not need to turn the heat on, but up in Canada we have to start using right now, especially in the evenings.

thanks for tip pir8pete. it's extremely annoying that when you use the defrost, the a/c come on

the a/c helps defrost - it de-humidifies the air so it blows away the vapor on the glass better. If you turn the temp control all the way into the red, it will spit out hot air even with the a/c on. Whenever I need to do some serious defrosting in the winter, the a/c is on, the temp thing is all the way in the red, and the fan is on high.

SBC31
09-10-2002, 06:44 AM
This is now the 3rd thread on the same subject, I will merge this one with the lastest one, and note the link at the bottom of this with the original thread.

Click below for the original thread from Hondatech:
Turning off A/C during defog (http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=255)