PDA

View Full Version : what should i do?

klik
10-19-2003, 07:46 PM
need help, got a ticket for tinted window last night what should i do take it out or what, for those peeps that already had this happen to them before, help me up. im in CA

Vivid-Cruz
10-19-2003, 07:54 PM
I got one in my cougar.. so i decided to pull all the tint off!! OMG.. it took me a full 8-10 hrs to pull all of the glue off the windows.. i reccoment razor blade with ammonia.. GL

psylovibe
10-19-2003, 08:01 PM
they make some spray and then you just rub it off...not sure what you call it but my friend bought this stuff for the same problem.swing by a auto store and find out i guess.

Si_Rider
10-19-2003, 08:07 PM
Go to a tint shop ask them to remove it for you. I got mine removed for $20, hope that helps.

Brettnyt
10-19-2003, 08:07 PM
Go to the place that u had it put on and pay em a couple bucks to print up a reciept that says that u took it off... Then take it to court and you should be able to get the fine waived...

02civicSI
10-19-2003, 09:18 PM
hmmm...i have had all my windows tinted for a year and a half now and i havent gotten any s**t from the popo's. i have had them sitting next to me at a light. i dont have a front license plate either...i really like my tinted windows :(

eurosteez
10-19-2003, 09:24 PM
What percent tint do you guys have? I Thought that(in CA) all windows can have 15% tint legally and the rear passenger windows could be like up to 40% legally. There are so many stock SUV's with DARK ass tint its lame the cops pick on the imports.

02civicSI
10-19-2003, 09:28 PM
i have 5% rear, 20% driver/passenger side

mine is the first white one

http://members.cox.net/toymachne/meet03_1200x900.jpg

cj miller
10-19-2003, 09:28 PM
i took mine back to the same shop and got it off for 15 bucks and it took about 5 min.

oldschoolimport
10-19-2003, 09:34 PM
try to get the tint off in one piece of at least large chunks. spray the ammonia on the glass and put the tint back up for 10 minutes or so. pull down the tint and the glue should wipe off. if the tint won't pull of in large pieces, plastic sheeting like on construction sites will work. basically you are just holding the ammonia to the glue so it can work and not run off. hope this helps.

SoCaLep3
10-19-2003, 09:44 PM
i think youre allowed to have 20-25% for passenger and driver side windows, and for the back u can tint as much as u want

klik
10-19-2003, 10:56 PM
this shit sucks, i just got my muffler ticket last two weeks ago and this shit happens its really sad, im just gonna go back to the place i got it from ill just take the 2 front windows from now, and what sux is i just got ma window tinted about 2 months ago.
when i got ma ticket i even had ma window roll down but the popo as me to roll it up so he could see it.
now is this go to the driving records?
thanks for the help guys.

ep pilot
10-19-2003, 11:01 PM
Originally posted by klik
this shit sucks, i just got my muffler ticket last two weeks ago and this shit happens its really sad, im just gonna go back to the place i got it from ill just take the 2 front windows from now, and what sux is i just got ma window tinted about 2 months ago.
when i got ma ticket i even had ma window roll down but the popo as me to roll it up so he could see it.
now is this go to the driving records?
thanks for the help guys.

What kind of muffler to you have thats so loud you got a citation for it? I think if you don't want to get an exhaust ticket, try a Neuspeed or Borla, they look just like the stock but all polished, and are not loud till you get on it. Also the Greddy EVO I hear is not loud either until you get on it, but it looks really obvious.

-Ryan

glw
10-20-2003, 12:05 AM
see the ca vehicle code section 26708 at http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d12/vc26708.htm

summary;
26708(b)(8)
material is only allowed on windows to the rear of the driver if a driver and passenger side rear view mirrors are installed... and for that matter it appears you could paint the windows black if you wanted!

26708(d)
the windows beside the driver may have a clear colorless transparent material that allows at minimum 88% transmittance of visable light as long as it meets a number of other conditions like having a doctors letter, dot regulations, etc...

klik
10-20-2003, 12:07 AM
Originally posted by ep pilot
What kind of muffler to you have thats so loud you got a citation for it? I think if you don't want to get an exhaust ticket, try a Neuspeed or Borla, they look just like the stock but all polished, and are not loud till you get on it. Also the Greddy EVO I hear is not loud either until you get on it, but it looks really obvious.

-Ryan

i have a HKS i have to go to the smog referee and do a decibel test

bobdobbs
10-20-2003, 12:17 AM
Originally posted by klik
i have a HKS i have to go to the smog referee and do a decibel test
You're prolly gonna lose, so put your stock muffler back on. Either way you're going to have to fix it, but you want to avoid the fine. Here's what the CHP site says:

Exhaust equipment that states it is, "Legal in all 50 states," refers to smog, not noise.
Note: New law (27150.2 VC) does not require law enforcement to use sound level meters to test for excessive noise. Citation is based on officer's judgment. Cited violators may have testing done at smog referee stations or may be directed by the court to have testing done. Vehicles in violation must be brought into compliance. A fine may also be imposed.

ep pilot
10-20-2003, 01:20 AM
What pisses me off more than anything, is how soccer moms can ride around in lifted Suburbans, Expeditions, also guys in Silverados and Rams and F-series never get crap for having a hack-shop weld on a loud-ass Flowmaster or Glass-packs straight out the back. Which in my opinion are about 25% louder than per se an straight through HKS on a Honda...... And as far as the smog thing goes, don't even get me started on how much more a freaking Suburban or Tahoe pollutes compared to an (ULEV) Honda for crying out loud, and those idiot put dual freaking tailpipes on those trucks...... Thats why I get so pissed at cops and our government at times, they are so two-faced and illogical.

-Ryan

kcx23
10-20-2003, 01:44 AM
what city do u live in? So I know neverr drive around there. I live in buena park and its all good with my 35% tint all around, but I have an hks catback sitting in my trunk and don't know if I should even put it on or just get a custom 2.5 inch pipe w/ stck muffler for my revhard turbo, because the cops suck in cerritos.

kcx23
10-20-2003, 01:44 AM
what city do u live in? So I know neverr drive around there. I live in buena park and its all good with my 35% tint all around, but I have an hks catback sitting in my trunk and don't know if I should even put it on or just get a custom 2.5 inch pipe w/ stck muffler for my revhard turbo, because the cops suck in cerritos.

VividFL EP
10-20-2003, 07:04 AM
I got pulled for my tint the other day, got a $49 ticket. The cop was really cool about it though. I asked him if I had to take it off, he said no, but you will keep getting tickets. I have decided to leave it on for now. I thought when I got my windows tinted it was 15% all around, when the cop put his meter on it was 7%, which suprised me, but shit, what can you do?

SarahVTEC
10-20-2003, 07:25 AM
the LAW:
http://www.chp.ca.gov/html/streetlegal.html (http://www.chp.ca.gov/html/streetlegal.html)

CA Vehicle Codes:
http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/calawquery?codesection=veh&codebody=&hits=20 (http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/calawquery?codesection=veh&codebody=&hits=20)

klik
10-20-2003, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by bobdobbs
You're prolly gonna lose, so put your stock muffler back on. Either way you're going to have to fix it, but you want to avoid the fine. Here's what the CHP site says:

Exhaust equipment that states it is, "Legal in all 50 states," refers to smog, not noise.
Note: New law (27150.2 VC) does not require law enforcement to use sound level meters to test for excessive noise. Citation is based on officer's judgment. Cited violators may have testing done at smog referee stations or may be directed by the court to have testing done. Vehicles in violation must be brought into compliance. A fine may also be imposed.

When i went to get my emmision test and sound test i put back every stock parts . but i already but back the HKS and my intake back on about a week ago cuz i miss the sound so much and i have to go to court on the 6th.

Vivid-Cruz
10-20-2003, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by Brettnyt
Go to the place that u had it put on and pay em a couple bucks to print up a reciept that says that u took it off... Then take it to court and you should be able to get the fine waived...

That won't work.. a bailiff will go out and look at your windows or u need to have an officer sign off the ticket

priest6479
10-20-2003, 01:48 PM
I had the same problem in my old pickup, I used a can of Goof Off and a razor blade I stole from the DMV, took me a lil bit but I managed to get it all off.

klik
10-21-2003, 10:42 AM
im just gonna pay 45bucks to take off the 2 front side and get a real reciept for that.

do u guys think it will look stupid if the only 3 windowns in the back is tinted, i wonder what ill look like.

eurosteez
10-21-2003, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by ep pilot
What pisses me off more than anything, is how soccer moms can ride around in lifted Suburbans, Expeditions, also guys in Silverados and Rams and F-series never get crap for having a hack-shop weld on a loud-ass Flowmaster or Glass-packs straight out the back. Which in my opinion are about 25% louder than per se an straight through HKS on a Honda...... And as far as the smog thing goes, don't even get me started on how much more a freaking Suburban or Tahoe pollutes compared to an (ULEV) Honda for crying out loud, and those idiot put dual freaking tailpipes on those trucks...... Thats why I get so pissed at cops and our government at times, they are so two-faced and illogical.

-Ryan

WTF? That makes me wanna rage too. Especially the smog issue. fuckin conufused authority. I bet most of the fuckin pigs drive SUV's with huge ass mufflers anyways when off duty.

Driftin SI
10-21-2003, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by eurosteez
WTF? That makes me wanna rage too. Especially the smog issue. fuckin conufused authority. I bet most of the fuckin pigs drive SUV's with huge ass mufflers anyways when off duty.

Now there's some intelligence, oye :rolleyes:

k20beast
10-22-2003, 12:03 AM
all i got to say is fuck the police!!!!! when i got my racing ticket in CA they got me for modified intake and exhaust and no front plate. what pissed me off was that i just took the air box off and put a cone at the end and that was it. everything else was the stock piping and sensors. i put the plate back on for about a month then i took it off and i put everything back the way i had it. i got it signed off for no front plate. and when i was going to get the others signed off the court said i could do it at any cop station i go to the cop station the first time they said i needed more paper work from the court so i got it all. when i took it back the cop said that i still needed more papers. then he said that i could also get it signed off at the chp station. so i go to 1 then they said that i have to go to the chp station about 20 min north. i go there they give me an adress that the smog ref was at. i go there and there i no body there i ask someone that works in the complex they said that the smog ref moved about 3 years ago. then i go back to the station they said that it is all they had. so i had to go to one about 40 min south of where i was at. then they just gave me a number to call. but i just got so frustrated i just said fuck it and never got it signed off. i just registared my car so they didnt put a hol on that. i wonder what is gonna happen if i dont sign i off... do u guys know???

eurosteez
10-22-2003, 09:19 AM
Originally posted by Driftin SI
Now there's some intelligence, oye :rolleyes:

your not being sarcastic are you? Thanks for the compliment ;)...It was frustrated itelligence...LOL:D

Zero Three Si
10-22-2003, 10:05 AM
Take the tint off...pay your fine and live with it.
There is no winning when a cop gives you a ticket. A very large majority of judges will side with the cops better judgement. It's not a bad idea to befriend some local CHPS that way you can drop some names when you get pulled over. A cop is your best friend. I make sure all the cops at the gym I workout at KNOW me.