PDA

View Full Version : Did all '02-'03 Ep3's come with an "LEV" sticker on the LT .25 window?

ep pilot
10-19-2003, 10:21 PM
Just wondering, because mine didn't......

I'm talking about the silver "low emissions vehicle" sticker on the LT quarter glass.

Any help appreciated thanks in advance.

-Ryan

EP33
10-19-2003, 10:23 PM
yes my car did. . .kinda wish I had left it on :D

oldschoolimport
10-19-2003, 10:24 PM
NO, maybe thats why mine was so cheap:D or in alabama we have no need for LEV recognition because we have no regulations:D

bobdobbs
10-19-2003, 10:25 PM
Honda prolly sells the sticker, no?

chubbychu
10-19-2003, 10:25 PM
if we did its gone! all my security/everythign else stickers went bye bye when i got my windows tinted.

ep pilot
10-19-2003, 10:56 PM
Just wondering, I've yet to see a stock Ep3 that didn't have the sticker, mine was the only one on the lot when I got it that didn't have it. I think I even had th salesman order it up when I noticed it & the black pad in the back the license plate sits on, of which I kept but never installed, because I think the license plate looks better against the hatch then on that black pad. I was to lazy at the time to get the sticker, and it wasn't a big enough matter to run 90 miles back to my Honda dealer for an LEV sticker. Just wondering if I got a car that wasn't LEV, my '02 was one of the first ones, so I'm wondering also if the first run of Ep's didn't qualify as LEV?

-Ryan

JLannoo
10-19-2003, 11:08 PM
My 2002 doesnt have them. I was under the impression that they started using them on the 2003MY.

The 2002 is a LEV,just no sticker

potator
10-20-2003, 03:13 AM
I haven't noticed any kind of this 'LEV sticker' on or around my car. Can anyone tell me exactly where this sticker is located?

STP03BlueSI
10-20-2003, 05:49 AM
I think mine is still on there...:blushm: but then again it might not

Gasp23
10-20-2003, 06:32 AM
I just noticed that the other day. I went to the dealer for the 15,000 check up. Mine doesn't have the LEV sticker. I was like, mine doesn't have those.

sniperSI
10-20-2003, 07:23 AM
My 2002 has a ULEV on it.

EDIT: Those of you with tint, it may have been removed by the installer.

Tenacious G
10-20-2003, 07:50 AM
my 02 EP did not come with the LEV sticker, but i wish it had. i'm a total tree hugger. all K20A3s qualify as LEV engines, in fact the entire Honda lineup qualifies as a LEV, ULEV or SULEV. i'm not sure about acura.

Grookes
10-20-2003, 08:15 AM
Nope, no LEV sticker on my '02. Just my little immobilizer security sticker.

brendanSI
10-20-2003, 08:24 AM
Came with it. But recently taken off

blueiedgod
10-20-2003, 11:32 AM
mine does not have a sticker. I am a little scpetical as far as calling all k20a3's as lev. It has an air pump, a very rudimentary emmisions control system. It simply pumps air into the exhaust to water it down and give catalityc converter some oxygen to burn off the pollutants. I may be wrong, but the pump on top left corner of the engine looks like an air pump. In fact it looks like a power steering pump, but since we have electronic steering, it can only be emissions air pump.

Tucker
10-20-2003, 04:33 PM
My 2003 had the LEV sticker and it and everything else in the windows was gone as soon as I got the car home. Just say NO to stupid stickers.

blackbirdEp
10-20-2003, 06:03 PM
haha... no sticker here! i was thinkin our cars arent LEVs.. this because of the bad gas mileage im gettin... (does the sticker look cool??)

C.

Lt_Si
10-21-2003, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by blueiedgod
mine does not have a sticker. I am a little scpetical as far as calling all k20a3's as lev. It has an air pump, a very rudimentary emmisions control system. It simply pumps air into the exhaust to water it down and give catalityc converter some oxygen to burn off the pollutants. I may be wrong, but the pump on top left corner of the engine looks like an air pump. In fact it looks like a power steering pump, but since we have electronic steering, it can only be emissions air pump.

The RSX-S does in fact have conventional hydraulic power steering, and not the electric kind that the Civic Sis have. So, that is a power steering pump that you're looking at. Also, since the K20A2 has a higher compression ratio, its emissions could possibly be even lower than ours. I'm guessing that it's an LEV also, but I don't know for sure.

Rob

blueiedgod
10-21-2003, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by Lt_Si
The RSX-S does in fact have conventional hydraulic power steering, and not the electric kind that the Civic Sis have. So, that is a power steering pump that you're looking at. Also, since the K20A2 has a higher compression ratio, its emissions could possibly be even lower than ours. I'm guessing that it's an LEV also, but I don't know for sure.

Rob

I highly doubt that honda would leave the hydraulic power steering pump even thought we don't have a hydraulic rack. I am pretty sure it is an air pump, not PS pump. Makes no sence to have a PS pump in a car with electric PS. It kind of defeats the purpose of having electric PS, sine the Hydraulic PS pump is still drawing power from the engine.

Tenacious G
10-21-2003, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by blackbirdEp
haha... no sticker here! i was thinkin our cars arent LEVs.. this because of the bad gas mileage im gettin... (does the sticker look cool??)

C.

just because you're getting lower-than-expected gas mileage wouldn't keep a car from being classified as a LEV.

Lt_Si
10-21-2003, 05:36 PM
I highly doubt that honda would leave the hydraulic power steering pump even thought we don't have a hydraulic rack. I am pretty sure it is an air pump, not PS pump. Makes no sence to have a PS pump in a car with electric PS. It kind of defeats the purpose of having electric PS, sine the Hydraulic PS pump is still drawing power from the engine.

I'm not trying to start an argument here, but I think we must be not on the same page. I'm not sure about the JDM/Euro Civic Type R, but the American version of the RSX Type S does NOT have electronic power steering like the Civic Si does. It has the good old fashioned pump kind. Open up the hood of an '02+ Civic Si and you'll see an idler pulley on the top right(looking at the front of the engine from passenger side). On the RSX-S, you'll see the power steering pump in place of the idler pulley. I am 100% positive of this.
The only other accessories that you'll see driven by the serpentine belt are the A/C compressor(bottom right), alternator(middle right), and the water pump(center). The pulley right under the idler pulley is the tensioner pulley, and of course the one ont the bottom left is the crankshaft.
I'm not sure what engine you're looking at. I see you have a CR-V. According to Honda's website, the CR-V has conventional hydraulic power steering and not the EPS that our Civic Sis have. I'm guessing that you're looking at a PS pump. Besides, the A.I.R. pump was a device designed in the mid-'60s(CA required them in '66), so I highly doubt that a modern Honda would use one with all the high-tech computer emission controls that are available today.

Like I said, I'm not trying to put you down, but I think you might have been mistaken. Can anyone else confirm(or deny) any of this info?

Rob
'03 Si
'66 Sedan deVille

raiyo
10-21-2003, 09:14 PM
I dont get it, what's the advantage of having the sticker?

ep pilot
10-22-2003, 01:25 AM
Originally posted by raiyo
I dont get it, what's the advantage of having the sticker?

Don't trip, we don't think it's cool or anything, or that it adds any gains.... I just want to know why the hell it wasn't affixed to my brand new car, when I took delivery, thats all.

-Ryan

blueiedgod
10-22-2003, 02:57 PM
Ok here is the break down:

Newspeed sticker on the right side adds more dampening ont he passenger side, sticker on both sides stiffens the ride.
Big Honda decal on top of the front windsheild make the weight distribution 50/50
VTEC sticker - activates the high rpm power
i-VTEC sticker - enhances troque
VTECH sticker improves cell phone reception
Tenzo sticker improves exhaust flow
Type R sticker in place of the Si sticker boosts the power to 200 hp
Red neon "H" improves your sprint times
Blue neon "H" adds hyperdrive

I hope i have included everything, i have a feeling i have left something out.:D

Grookes
10-22-2003, 07:45 PM
Hey - where can I pick up a blue "H"? That hyperdrive sounds enticing...

siver-SI
10-22-2003, 08:29 PM
My car did not have any stickers on the windows but that was because my dealer ordered my car from Honda with tinted windows. So I guess Hondas add on place in CA took them off when they tinted my windows.

blueiedgod
10-23-2003, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by Lt_Si
I'm not trying to start an argument here, but I think we must be not on the same page. I'm not sure about the JDM/Euro Civic Type R, but the American version of the RSX Type S does NOT have electronic power steering like the Civic Si does. It has the good old fashioned pump kind. Open up the hood of an '02+ Civic Si and you'll see an idler pulley on the top right(looking at the front of the engine from passenger side). On the RSX-S, you'll see the power steering pump in place of the idler pulley. I am 100% positive of this.
The only other accessories that you'll see driven by the serpentine belt are the A/C compressor(bottom right), alternator(middle right), and the water pump(center). The pulley right under the idler pulley is the tensioner pulley, and of course the one ont the bottom left is the crankshaft.
I'm not sure what engine you're looking at. I see you have a CR-V. According to Honda's website, the CR-V has conventional hydraulic power steering and not the EPS that our Civic Sis have. I'm guessing that you're looking at a PS pump. Besides, the A.I.R. pump was a device designed in the mid-'60s(CA required them in '66), so I highly doubt that a modern Honda would use one with all the high-tech computer emission controls that are available today.

Like I said, I'm not trying to put you down, but I think you might have been mistaken. Can anyone else confirm(or deny) any of this info?

Rob
'03 Si
'66 Sedan deVille

Looks like an Air pump to me:
http://members.aol.com/blueiedgod/pump_1.jpg
http://members.aol.com/blueiedgod/pump_2.jpg
http://members.aol.com/blueiedgod/pump_3.jpg

jandetuning
10-23-2003, 05:47 PM
Looks like an Air pump to me:
http://members.aol.com/blueiedgod/pump_1.jpg
http://members.aol.com/blueiedgod/pump_2.jpg
http://members.aol.com/blueiedgod/pump_3.jpg

The EP does not use an air injection system to reduce emissions. The A3 uses advanced combustion chamber design, and electronic engine management to control emissions. What you are looking at is a idler pulley.

blueiedgod
10-24-2003, 03:53 PM
What would happen if one were to remove the hose that connects "idler pulley" to the manifold? Just curious

bobdobbs
10-24-2003, 04:18 PM
What would happen if one were to remove the hose that connects "idler pulley" to the manifold? Just curious
That hose goes to a PCV valve. Check out the emissions sticker under your hood. We don't have an air pump. That pulley doesn't drive anything; look at the back of it.

Lt_Si
10-25-2003, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by bobdobbs
That hose goes to a PCV valve. Check out the emissions sticker under your hood. We don't have an air pump. That pulley doesn't drive anything; look at the back of it.

I'm not sure which hose you're talking about, blueiedgod, so I'm attemting to address both of them.

bobdobbs is right about the little hose in the picture. It is a ventilation hose from the crankcase to the intake manifold. Look closely and you'll see that it is not attached to the pulley. In fact, there is the engine front cover between the part that the hose attaches to and the pulley bracket.

And about the big hose, look down and to the right, and you'll see that the hose goes down to the A/C compressor. Now, you'll also see that the other end of this hose goes into the firewall where your expansion valve and evaporator are, to cool you down when the A/C is on.

Now, to answer your question. If you disconnect the little hose, you'd have a vaccuum leak and your engine probably won't run as well as it should.

Please do NOT disconnect the big hose, or else your A/C refridgerant will leak out and your A/C won't work anymore. I don't recommmend it.

Another source of info is, I think, the Dec '02 issue of Sport Compact Car, where they swapped a K20A2 into a Civic Si. They showed the two engines side by side and mentioned how they were able to swap the power steering pump on the A2 for the idler pulley off of the A3. Check it out, if you can get ahold of that issue.

Rob