PDA

View Full Version : G-box vs. Hondata.....advice please!!!!

BlairSpeed
10-20-2003, 11:07 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=6783&item=2438510849

for only $100 it seems like a good deal. just plug n play and it only takes 15 mintutes to install, better then Hondata???

andy
10-20-2003, 11:42 AM
Be wary.
For one, their description of that thing is full of junk (unless you
need a lesson on computing the median of something :confused: ).
Second, there's no dyno sheets/no claims of what this is actually
doing to your car.
Three, you might want to add the "Tornado" intake if you buy this.
;)

I wouldn't put that thing on my car unless they paid me. But if you
believe in their guaranty and are willing to try it without any
dyno results/knowing what it's doing, be my guest.

jaydub
10-20-2003, 11:43 AM
You know how they say that sometimes if it looks too good to be true, it usually is? This looks like one of those cases, unfortunately. However, I'd LOVE to be wrong about it, because I think Hondata is severely overcharging for their mediocre increases. They need to take a cue from Upsolute and APR (VW Tuners) who charge under $500 for their chips, which yield 50hp on the 1.8t engine. Sure, it's easier to extract power from a FI engine, but at the same time, Hondata is only charging what they do because they have no competition.

K-Series
10-20-2003, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by jaydub
They need to take a cue from Upsolute and APR (VW Tuners) who charge under $500 for their chips, which yield 50hp on the 1.8t engine. Sure, it's easier to extract power from a FI engine, but at the same time, Hondata is only charging what they do because they have no competition.

GIAC is only $125 for the NA appliacations. Seems fair to me. Hondata is just crazy expensive.

jaydub
10-20-2003, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by US_Si
GIAC is only $125 for the NA appliacations. Seems fair to me. Hondata is just crazy expensive.

Agreed, plus GIAC's NA applications yield similar results to what Hondata posts. I dunno, I keep hoping some joe schmoe will come up with something better than Hondata, I'm just not overly impressed with their setup anyway.

ADAMnQuickCIVIC
10-20-2003, 12:16 PM
Just to make things clear, that "mod" is junk.
Do not buy it.
The End. LOL

Zero Three Si
10-20-2003, 12:34 PM
Hey it may be junk but this is a step in the right direction....at least somebody is trying to out do Hondata.

Better than the rest of us sitting around surfing the web...

f1fever
10-20-2003, 12:41 PM
Where can I find more information on GIAC?

BlairSpeed
10-20-2003, 01:19 PM
I think its worth a try. Its only $50 with free shipping. Id buy it but i have had some very bad luck with the local traffic police so Im extremely short on cash, otherwise id try it. I mean it cant hurt, its just plug and play and if it doesnt work the worst your out is $50 and thats only if they dont honor their warranty.

SOMEONE BUY IT AND POST RESULTS!!!

ps. I already have the Tornado!!! (im totally joking)

graham
10-20-2003, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by f1fever
Where can I find more information on GIAC?

GIAC does not offer a Honda solution ... they were using it only for comparison's sake (it's for VW's).

sniperSI
10-20-2003, 01:29 PM
I don't think this kinda thing will be to far fetched soon. If this guys box works, its no different then a VAFC fooling the ECU.

phatfreeza
10-20-2003, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by BlairSpeed
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=6783&item=2438510849

for only $100 it seems like a good deal. just plug n play and it only takes 15 mintutes to install, better then Hondata???

the product description was waaaaaaaaaay too long and it seemed like he/she was throwing all sorts of junk in there...

but like someone said... it's only $50 bucks and they SEEM to have some sorta warranty... hehehe good luck

dchu
10-20-2003, 03:40 PM
Don't be fooled by the box. That looks like nothing more then a resistor that goes in between the intake air temp sensor and ecu. The resistor fools the ecu to think the air is colder then it really is, so the ecu dumps more fuel. Simply adding more fuel does not mean more power. You'll most likely be running even worse, especially at the low-end. Jackson Racing used to do the same thing but it actually worked because the supercharger was adding more air at the same time. It probably costs $5 in parts from Radio Shack, so don't waste your money.

ADAMnQuickCIVIC
10-20-2003, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by dchu
Don't be fooled by the box. That looks like nothing more then a resistor that goes in between the intake air temp sensor and ecu. The resistor fools the ecu to think the air is colder then it really is, so the ecu dumps more fuel. Simply adding more fuel does not mean more power. You'll most likely be running even worse, especially at the low-end. Jackson Racing used to do the same thing but it actually worked because the supercharger was adding more air at the same time. It probably costs $5 in parts from Radio Shack, so don't waste your money.

Thats exactly what it is.
A $0.30 resistor packaged in a plastic box.
If you buy it, you're a fool, plain and simple.

Si4U2NV
10-21-2003, 04:41 PM

he is ABSOLUTELY correct--incase u still dont believe him

i JUST and i mean JUST, finished installing this on my friendz Geo Storm and it did ABSOLUTELY NOTHING AT ALL WHATSOEVER!

DO NOT BUY IT--IT IS A WASTE OF MONEY AND TIME

-Mike

myeverlovinsir
10-21-2003, 04:58 PM
Yeah it's a waste of time and money, just wondering if anyone here has actually tried it?

02SilverSiHB
10-21-2003, 05:18 PM
movin...another thread...

DENNISi03
10-21-2003, 06:05 PM
that shit is funny If you need a lesson in finding the median that shit has me laughin so hard hahahah!!! I love it

civic hatch boi
10-21-2003, 07:08 PM
i have this on my 02 Si. didnt' feel too much of a differ but my part throttle is alot smoother. it's nice to be able to rev passed 6800 for under $100 :) i love this mod!

02SilverSiHB
10-21-2003, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by civic hatch boi
i have this on my 02 Si. didnt' feel too much of a differ but my part throttle is alot smoother. it's nice to be able to rev passed 6800 for under $100 :) i love this mod!
:rolleyes: ummm...it doesn't raise your rev limiter, as far as I can tell on the ebay auction. What are you revving to.

civic hatch boi
10-21-2003, 07:30 PM
oh shoot, my bad! forgot to the add the "JK" hahahaha... i'd never trust anything called "GBOX!" i mean, that's pretty lame.

02SilverSiHB
10-21-2003, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by civic hatch boi
oh shoot, my bad! forgot to the add the "JK" hahahaha... i'd never trust anything called "GBOX!" i mean, that's pretty lame.
shew! glad you were kidding, I was nooooooooooooo! yeah, gbox sounds like some kind of sex toy. Cracks me up on the auction where they have "quotes" from people. I imagine they are talking about a sex toy, cracks me up

rs_1101
10-21-2003, 11:56 PM
its still just a 5 cent airflow sensor resistor. i dont think itd add any power in the long run, all it does is make your car run a realy rich mix.
but the problem is our o2 sensors tell the ecu its running to rich, so itll readjust the airflow sensor accordingly and what you have, my friend, is a 100$ peice of plastic.

however if the gbox is actually programmed piggyback anything then that might work, but i doubt anyones created a tuned piggyback program like that. save for a vafc if u want more gas to be burned