PDA

View Full Version : Anyone With 4th Gear Tranny Probs?

D16Y8_Turbo
10-20-2003, 06:53 PM
Fourth gear started feeling funny the other day. With the clutch in and shifting to fourth, it feels really tight. When shifting out of fourth into fifth requires more of push than it used to require to get into it in fifth. This happens about every 1 out of 2 shifts. Keep in mind this is normal driving and the car has been sitting for 5 weeks now. Drove it all weekend and kept doing it. Anyone else with fourth gear synchro probs? Anyone heard of this before?

eggsi
10-21-2003, 11:07 AM
I had to have my 2-5 gears replaced with all new syncro's, due to 4th just going out completly, it went out one night when i was driving home, and honda tried to bs me about its from me beating on it. well i admit that i do race but it shouldn't have affected 4th and not 1st or 2nd. Long story short i had to pay half, about $925. :'(

j spek chucks
10-21-2003, 05:04 PM
ive had my secound grear syncro fixed and then the tranny rebuit but never grinded fourth

02SilverSiHB
10-21-2003, 05:13 PM
movin....

rs_1101
10-22-2003, 12:04 AM
honda should fix it for free. theyve gotten so many complaints its borderlining on a recall. i only get it shifting into 2nd at higher rpms.. sometimes itll physically throw itself out of 2nd, like u can watch the stick fly up.

Kirei
10-22-2003, 12:33 AM
Originally posted by rs_1101
honda should fix it for free. theyve gotten so many complaints its borderlining on a recall. i only get it shifting into 2nd at higher rpms.. sometimes itll physically throw itself out of 2nd, like u can watch the stick fly up.

That only happens when you dont put it fully into gear, misshift. I've been with honda before the Si's were even out and I have never heard of any transmission problem with the Si's. I work in a high volumn honda area. There are easily over 10 dealerships in a span of 30 miles here. Although it is possible, im sure its more than likely its related to your driving.

D16Y8_Turbo
10-22-2003, 05:16 AM
I can understand that Honda believes these cars are beat on. When our technicians call the Honda tech line they always ask if the car has been modified. Anyhow, I have shifted the car hard into fourth maybe 2 or 3 times. I thought that I read a long time ago that other people were having this problem. I guess not. I'm sure the guys at work will get the syncro fixed under warranty since it only has 2800 miles on it.

rs_1101
10-22-2003, 08:39 AM
ALOT of people have this problem. my dealership actually asked ME if i was havin troubles, i was all "oh, how did you know?" i guess all they do is replace the oem clutch line with another oem rubber line, but its supposed to be free. either that or the syncros, but i know its a problem cuz alot of threads have been about this.. try typing "syncros" into the engine

p.s. yea i know what a misshift is, ive done it b4.. i think we all have, but my 2nd gear problem is different. ive had the stick all the way down in the shift gate and sometimes i gotta hold it down there to catch, cuz it will pop out of gear

Kirei
10-22-2003, 11:39 PM
One thing I have noticed is that there is a big difference between the 02 and the 03 tranny, clutch, brake and gas cable lines. The 03 seems to be much improved which leads to my next question, what year are your cars?

Anyhow, i hope yall get your cars fixed. I dont think a whole lot of people are experiencing this problem if theres 98 views on this thread and only 4 people are responding with problems.

rs_1101
10-22-2003, 11:46 PM
its just seems to be a more common defect on our cars, specialy cuz its the only thing ive ever heard multiple people, in any amount, complain about on this site.

mines an 03

D16Y8_Turbo
10-23-2003, 06:29 AM

Zero Three Si
10-23-2003, 07:17 AM
I get a constant "clunk" whenever I shift from first to second.

Not a grind...just a clunk...

Kirei
10-23-2003, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by Zero Three Si
I get a constant "clunk" whenever I shift from first to second.

Not a grind...just a clunk...

It makes that sound on every gear. Its the shifting of the cables. Turn off the car and try shifting. If its not the same sound then get it checked.

styllinep3
10-28-2003, 06:51 PM
ditto on the 2cd gear clunk!
mines an 02. 21,000 something on it. i dont like our tranny not the stick placement but, the tranny . its so unpredictable. i never know if its gonna shift clean or rough. its such a notchy unsmooth manual tranny . yet fast and tight. . it does just jump right out of gear sometimes too, and i can drive a stick. i have a CDL and drive big manual trucks all day that most people that can drive stick couldn't even get rolling (sorry). i just know someone will say that . what i want is the 6 speed rsx s tranny. someone on k-series and here i think has it and, did the swap . he says its just right for the ep. so i beat mine slightly , but ill just upgrade later.

gabe

rs_1101
10-28-2003, 07:48 PM
yea. the si tranny is very unpredictable.. id say 80% of the time i need to move the clutch maybe 2 inches, but sometimes it just gridnds.. i think its the line, cuz honda will replace your stock rubber line with: guess waht? ANOTHER RUBBER LINE. how does this help/?

D16Y8_Turbo
11-17-2003, 05:59 PM
I am now a week away from my appointment and I cannot even shift into fourth now. I was not even using 4th, just shifting from 3rd to 5th. Damn.

javi2002whitesi
11-18-2003, 11:32 AM
well after reading all these posts on our crappy tranny i decided to take mines in to just get looked at. Mines doesnt really grind but it is notchy and definately not as smooth as it used to be.So this morning was my appointment and befored they even looked at my car this stupid dikhead service rep started lecturing me about driving the car hard and racing. mind you he didnt even aske me first if i raced or drove it hard. then he said"when ever you take the car to high rpm's gears will grind..lol.but w/e the tech takes it for a drive for 2 mins top and comes back he basically drove around the block and tells me that he didnt find anything but since i had altered my engine (cai,exhaust,header)my whole car warranty is void and this is the best line i got the whole morning "since u dropped your car according to him it will eventually lead to my tranny failing to some excess strain on the pivot something.. im no mech so i juss listened to his shit and since my car is not really grindin bad ill just have to basically wait to see if it worsens.These honda service reps kill me they expect us not to mod these cars when the fukin 04 brochure encourages it!!!!wut do they think people buy these cars for the 3 inch wheel gap and the small as tires no its cuz its a nice platform to improve on.
w/e just wanted to vent im getting sick of these dealers

nozomi
11-18-2003, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by gabesilver02si
ditto on the 2cd gear clunk!
mines an 02. 21,000 something on it. i dont like our tranny not the stick placement but, the tranny . its so unpredictable. i never know if its gonna shift clean or rough. its such a notchy unsmooth manual tranny . yet fast and tight. . it does just jump right out of gear sometimes too, and i can drive a stick. i have a CDL and drive big manual trucks all day that most people that can drive stick couldn't even get rolling (sorry). i just know someone will say that . what i want is the 6 speed rsx s tranny. someone on k-series and here i think has it and, did the swap . he says its just right for the ep. so i beat mine slightly , but ill just upgrade later.

gabe

lol, my buddy's type S grinds from 1st to 2nd too, the tech in acura just tell him to shift at 4krpm and the grinding will stop. and my buddy did listen to him and the grinding did stop:banana:

so the grinding won't go away even if u upgrade to type S tranny man