PDA

View Full Version : Merged "Shifter Bushings" threads

FiL
10-15-2003, 12:17 AM
where can i buy aluminum shifter bushings?

oldschoolimport
10-15-2003, 01:42 AM
SEARCH!!! there are several threads on this.
Damn, that felt good.

seriously, someone posted a link 2 days ago on this and I am too lazy to search for you. good luck!

Spazhead
10-15-2003, 05:53 AM
http://home.socal.rr.com/capyoda/civic.htm
Just make sure u include in a note during the paypal payment that the item is for a 03 Si.

styllinep3
10-15-2003, 06:18 AM
search on ebay for rsx shifter bushing thats how i got mine . 10 bucks and they are great . so much tigther. bitch to put in though

BlackNRedSi
10-15-2003, 06:35 AM
Originally posted by oldschoolimport
SEARCH!!! there are several threads on this.
Damn, that felt good.

seriously, someone posted a link 2 days ago on this and I am too lazy to search for you. good luck!

yeah i posted this about 2 days ago...

or go to k series.com there is a DIY and where to buy them from over there

Eric

oogy-boogy
10-15-2003, 07:26 AM
There's also a vendor on e-bay called "Aluminum Bushings" who sells them for $10.00 shipped. Just make sure you say that they're for the RSX.

Civicvtec1ps
10-15-2003, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by gabesilver02si
search on ebay for rsx shifter bushing thats how i got mine . 10 bucks and they are great . so much tigther. bitch to put in though
is it really bitch to put it on? any suggestions? i ordered mine
btw , civic , rsx type s, base, si all uses same shifter bushings

BlackNRedSi
10-15-2003, 06:48 PM
its not that much of a bitch...gabe knows what hes talking about, but it is tricky

take off your 4 bolts holding the old bushings on...then take a screw driver or something that size, and PUSH down on the metal inserts inside the RUBBER bushings, then grab a flathead screw driver and PUSH DOWN on the rubber bushing so it pops out....

the bottom right bushing is the hardest, but it can be done in under an hour....if u get frustrated just step away....when i did mine i was about to rip the shit out i was soo pissed...but its all gravy!

Eric

chubbychu
10-15-2003, 09:31 PM
yea its just tricky to hold the metal bushing in while trying to insert the screw. i almost killed my car trying to get the dang bolt in. other than that....its pretty simple.

ATRIOT
10-15-2003, 10:24 PM
I just put mine in tonight, and yeah the bottom right one is a pain in the ass! I installed mine @ same time as my stereo so the entire dash was apart, that made it a hell of alot easier.

styllinep3
10-16-2003, 05:58 AM
its not real hard . its just tough to hold both bushing in place and run the bolt back in . not much room to work . and if u drop them they are gone forever. i lost a allen key for my ss and my 12 mm socket in that damn console. oh well its worth it i guess. any more qeustions hit me up .

gabe

Civicvtec1ps
10-20-2003, 07:28 PM
ok. installed shifter bushings tonight. let me tell ya. it was bitch, bottom right shifter bushing omg hahaha. the hardest part. overall , great way to spend $16.

Civicvtec1ps
10-20-2003, 07:46 PM
nothing much to say. just excellent little mod for your car. cost only $16 shipped. you will receive instruction and 8 shifter bushings. installation was way harder than i thought. specially on my car (02 si) . not enough room to work . so i took whole dash apart to make everything easier. and dropped one shifter bushing. couldnt find it . then i took off whole center console to find bushing lol. btw i would recommand shifter bushings to anyone. The shifter should feel more stable and you should feel each gear engaging more than before. now im thinking to buy short shifter . just for fun :D

DIY.
http://www.k-series.com/tech_detail.php?Tech_ID=EP_SHIFT_BUSHING

to purchase bushings
http://home.socal.rr.com/capyoda/civic.htm

some installation pictures
capyoda's bushings
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid85/p3005088dbdacea94a19296bd361389f5/fac57387.jpg
dash apart
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid85/p7d37b8a52153faf4fe53fa9f2b6fa0a1/fac57385.jpg
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid85/pd529395e8f0ee910b281f5cbdbe4a7a7/fac5735c.jpg
stock bushings are out..
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid85/p44c7ac0748f54bcb8fba61cb92c469f9/fac57375.jpg
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid85/pa998c8c0b43a8eba4d699359def614cf/fac57379.jpg
new bushings installed
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid85/pade68f6324f057927c9d00774ffb26e6/fac57367.jpg
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid85/p45bfecca2be871c13ce684326e81864b/fac57363.jpg

:_bow:

maybe this belongs to review section. then mod please move it for me
:cool:

eurosteez
10-20-2003, 11:05 PM
Nice install pics...:smilem:...why does it say it doesn't fit the SI on the website???

The kit fits on 2001-2003 Honda Civic, manual transmission, all trim except for the 2002 Si (SiR in Canada) Hatchback.

I've been looking for a place to get bushings and this place is close to me. Are those the ones you ordered?

Zero Three Si
10-21-2003, 06:45 AM
Originally posted by eurosteez
Nice install pics...:smilem:...why does it say it doesn't fit the SI on the website???

The kit fits on 2001-2003 Honda Civic, manual transmission, all trim except for the 2002 Si (SiR in Canada) Hatchback.

I've been looking for a place to get bushings and this place is close to me. Are those the ones you ordered?

Hey peacemaker...maybe that is why the install was such a pain in the azz! :D

Civicvtec1ps
10-21-2003, 07:00 AM
Originally posted by eurosteez

rsx base, type s, 7thgen civics. si all use same rubber bushings. same exact size. i will tell owner to update the site.
btw its perfect fit.

LedFoot
10-21-2003, 07:46 AM
Cool and economic mod... How is the shifting improved?

Civicvtec1ps
10-21-2003, 07:49 AM
Originally posted by LedFoot
Cool and economic mod... How is the shifting improved?
The shifter should feel more stable and you should feel each gear engaging more than before
:)
now i need short shifter:D

fishboy
10-21-2003, 08:32 AM
hey, thanks to this thread i went and got myself a set of bushings. :) i am kinda scared of the install now, thanks to you. :D so are we replacing the rubber part with the aluminum pieces or the whole thing? can't wait to get them. i say get yourself a short shifter. i have one and i love it. i hope these compliment it nicely.

Civicvtec1ps
10-21-2003, 09:18 AM
Originally posted by fishboy
hey, thanks to this thread i went and got myself a set of bushings. :) i am kinda scared of the install now, thanks to you. :D so are we replacing the rubber part with the aluminum pieces or the whole thing? can't wait to get them. i say get yourself a short shifter. i have one and i love it. i hope these compliment it nicely.
you are basically replacing metal insert and rubber with new 2 aluminum bushings
http://www.k-series.com/Images/Tech/EP_SHIFT_BUSHING/EP_SHIFT_BUSHING-7.jpg
thats what you will have after install. you dont need them anymore.

fishboy
10-21-2003, 09:26 AM
cool that's what i thought. thanks!

Mugen_EP
10-21-2003, 10:40 AM
I did the write up for both K-series and the seller(capyoda). He is now aware that these fit the 02+ Si's and now when you purchase them you should be recieving the instructions for the install. If not them you can always check the write up on k-series.

VividFL EP
10-21-2003, 10:41 AM
Are the bushings worth the price and the pain of the install? What do they actually do?

Silentplanet
10-21-2003, 10:45 AM
Woohoo! Just ordered mine. He has a link on the website for '02 Si's now. Should go well with my Neuspeed SS. But I ain't taking the dash apart - I'll just put the lower two in if I have to...:)

Mugen_EP
10-21-2003, 10:46 AM
It is not a hard install. About 15 min from start to finish and well worth the $15 price tag. They make your shifts feel more precise and give the shifter a nice, tight feel.

Mugen_EP
10-21-2003, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by Silentplanet
But I ain't taking the dash apart - I'll just put the lower two in if I have to...:)

No need to take it all apart. You can reach all four by only removing the bottom piece of the console.

Read the write-up here.

http://www.k-series.com/tech_detail.php?Tech_ID=EP_SHIFT_BUSHING

Spazhead
10-21-2003, 10:57 AM
ordered mine last week, can't wait til they come in!!:)

fishboy
10-21-2003, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by Mugen_EP
It is not a hard install. About 15 min from start to finish and well worth the $15 price tag. They make your shifts feel more precise and give the shifter a nice, tight feel.

so it isn't hard to install then? would you recommend taking all the bushings out at one time then swapping them. or would you do them one at a time?

ahhhonda
10-21-2003, 11:35 AM
Why exactly would you bother buying aluminum "bushings" when you are directly attaching the shifter assembly to the body? (Besides, I'll bet you could do the same thing with some washers and save yourself about $14. Maybe there's something I can't see to this that would make washers not work.) Shouldn't someone make some urethane bushings that would be stiffer and yet provide some dampening of vibrations rather than just attaching the shifter to the body?

Mugen_EP
10-21-2003, 11:36 AM
Remove all four bushings first to give you more room to work with. Then start to insert the new aluminum bushings.

fishboy
10-21-2003, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by ahhhonda
Shouldn't someone make some urethane bushings that would be stiffer and yet provide some dampening of vibrations rather than just attaching the shifter to the body?

this was a concern of mine also. would the aluminum bushings cause more wear and tear on the synchros? maybe i should have asked this question before buying. :D

Mugen_EP
10-21-2003, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by ahhhonda
Why exactly would you bother buying aluminum "bushings" when you are directly attaching the shifter assembly to the body? (Besides, I'll bet you could do the same thing with some washers and save yourself about $14. Maybe there's something I can't see to this that would make washers not work.) Shouldn't someone make some urethane bushings that would be stiffer and yet provide some dampening of vibrations rather than just attaching the shifter to the body?

Well there is no added vibrations with these bushings installed so that is not an issue. Also if you look at the bushings there is a raised edge to hold them in place which could not be accomplished with simple washers. Not to mention it would take about 3-4 washers to get the thickness needed. Anyway its only $15 for a decent mod. Let go of the dollar my friend.:confusem:

ahhhonda
10-21-2003, 12:45 PM
Mugen, I agree that it's an inexpensive mod, but I guess my main question is why would you attach it directly to the car frame? Why wouldn't Honda have done this if it hadn't made any vibration differences, or made it feel better somehow? Do you think they would have wanted to add a rubbery feel to the shifter? As for the center 'lip' on the aluminum bushings, that doesn't make much difference since you are tightening it down metal to metal, the exact same thing could be accomplished with washers that cost 3 cents each times maybe 24 = 72 cents... maybe I should just start making and selling "special" washers. I'll call them "bu$hing$" too.. :) Don't take any of this too seriously, I'm just the kind of guy that would rather do things myself with parts I already have.

Civicvtec1ps
10-21-2003, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by fishboy
so it isn't hard to install then? would you recommend taking all the bushings out at one time then swapping them. or would you do them one at a time?
you will need to take off all bushings are first , since there arent much space to work on.

btw heres capyoda's new site for si bushings
http://home.socal.rr.com/capyoda/02si.htm

eurosteez
10-21-2003, 01:14 PM
Just ordered mine:D :D :D

oldschoolimport
10-21-2003, 01:27 PM
I may be totally off base, but I feel that a little bit of play (rubber bushings) might take some of the impact or shock loading off the shift shaft, forks and ring gears on the synchros and cones. same with short shifters. if you make the gears go in too fast, something has to compensate for the change, ie premature synchro failure. wanna know how I know, replacing mr2 turbo trannys every 6k miles. and all I have had is manuals in 14 years of driving. it was cable shift, solid mount, with TRD short shifter. never had that trouble with anything else. just my opinion.

eurosteez
10-21-2003, 04:20 PM
I just don't like looseness of the stock shifter. If these don't fix that I'll just take'em out and sell'em.

Ty's Si
10-21-2003, 04:33 PM

chubbychu
10-21-2003, 07:20 PM
is it necessary to put both bushings on?! i dont want the bolt to go too deep.

Civicvtec1ps
10-21-2003, 08:20 PM
Originally posted by plainol2k2si
is it necessary to put both bushings on?! i dont want the bolt to go too deep.
yea use all bushings that come with the kit

chubbychu
10-21-2003, 08:31 PM
dun dun dun! why? i guess im screwed.

raiyo
11-01-2003, 06:49 PM
Alright, just got mines today and already installed. Installion was hard since I didnt have an extenstion. So little space to work with. Doesn't feel much difference than stock, just stiffer.

Question for the ones who has em installed. I wanna check if I installed mine correctly. In the instruction that came with the package/k-series.com said to put the leveled edge on facing up for the bottom and the leveled edge facing down for the top. Was wondering did I do that correctly? So both raised edge should be both facing out from the metal piece?

Ty's Si
11-01-2003, 07:20 PM
Read this thread. I asked the same question about 2 weeks ago.

http://ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=22791

oogy-boogy
11-02-2003, 05:27 AM
Both edges ("Lips") face each other to make a sandwich with the metal plate. Overall, it only takes 20-25 minutes and is well worth the $10 I paid for them.

eurosteez
11-03-2003, 08:54 PM
Install for my bushings went perfect thanks to an extenion and an elbow I used on the wrench.

You can notice the difference and its nice and precise, especially with SS :smilem:

I still have a picky lil problem with my shifter though. No matter what gear its in including neutral, the shifter is really loose and wiggly. It has some play back and forth maybe 1/4 inch. Like you can wiggle it with a finger. Its been like this since I bought the car but it might be getting worse. The only other car I can compare too is my dads Audi tt Which is firm and tight as hell. I havent had a chance to check out other hondas so maybe you guys can help me out. Does anyone else notice this? is it normal? Any feedback would help:)