PDA

View Full Version : turning noise

LASI02
10-21-2003, 10:00 AM
does anyone else have this poping noise when they turn their steering wheel? i just rolled 20,000 miles and then this noise started, thanks

furious
10-21-2003, 10:19 AM
before everyone ignores you and this thread falls off the forum, I'll tell you this - welcome to the club and you are lucky to have gone 20k w/o it:D

SexySIgiRL
10-21-2003, 10:43 AM
ya...i took my car into the shop for it, i dont think they knew what i was talking about because they just said my struts needed to be lubbed n i got it back and it's still making that noise

LASI02
10-21-2003, 12:29 PM
Thanks, I know for certain that its not a strut, the noise is coming from the center of the car and not the sides. I'll take it to the dealer and see if they can pinpoint it and if they can I'll let you guys know.

rs_1101
10-23-2003, 02:37 PM
u think it could have to do with the EPS? someone was lecturing me on the importance of tie bar angles the other day..

bobdobbs
10-23-2003, 03:03 PM
It's most likely a bad bearing in the strut assembly. It's a small plastic ring that your entire front suspension rides on and rotates on when you turn. They go bad.

If you think the sound is coming from somewhere else, you're probably wrong. It's very difficult to localize this type of sound.

rs_1101
10-23-2003, 03:46 PM
i agree with dobbs.. geez what would we do w/o this guy

Stoop
10-23-2003, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by LASI02
does anyone else have this poping noise when they turn their steering wheel? i just rolled 20,000 miles and then this noise started, thanks

I'm not sure if this is what you guys are talking about because I haven't experienced it with my car yet....

I searched Honda's Service Bulletins at my dealership and there is a new bulletin that just came out on October 14, 2003 regarding front suspension. Service Bulletin 03-075. I printed a copy of it and took pictures, hopefully they turn out ok.

Stoop
10-23-2003, 03:47 PM
rest of bulletin:

Stoop
10-23-2003, 03:49 PM
It says this problem affects all 2002 Si's and a select group of 2003 Si's.

bobdobbs
10-23-2003, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by StoopSi
It says this problem affects all 2002 Si's and a select group of 2003 Si's.
Different symptoms. That TSB talks about noise while going over bumps (suspension is moving vertically) and LAIS02 is talking about noise while steering.

Zero Three Si
10-23-2003, 04:46 PM
I've had that same problem on my parents van a long time ago. It makes a clicking sound. Dobbs is right about the bearing. The same problem happend with my girlfriends jetta. It's a pain in the arse to change. Well not that it's hard work just time consuming. Take it to the dealer and have them fix it.

civic si hb
10-24-2003, 06:32 PM
now that there's a service bullentin out for this problem should we be exspecting a recall letter in the mail so they can fix this problem or is it up to us to do the research? i haven't heard the noise yet but i probably just jinxed my self :o

EKON
10-25-2003, 09:20 AM
I have had a similar problem, but my car makes the noise after going strait for a few miles. I turn the steering wheel and I get a rubbing sound from somewhere in the engin bay.

:(

joneSi
10-25-2003, 12:54 PM
Well I finally know what it is!!! [evil laugh] Muahahahahahahaha [/evil laugh]. Mines been doing this, and here I thought that it was just the aftermarket suspension (eibach), the right side is making this noise...kewl.

Thanks for the info
joneSi

team ERA 5
10-25-2003, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by EKON
I have had a similar problem, but my car makes the noise after going strait for a few miles. I turn the steering wheel and I get a rubbing sound from somewhere in the engin bay.

:(

I GET THAT RUBBBBING SOUND TOOO.....like near or under my steering wheel i check and it not my control arm.....what can it be???? its bugggin the helll outta me...its also getting worst...do u think its our shocks dying because my car is dropped is yours?

EKON
10-27-2003, 06:29 AM
Originally posted by team ERA 5
I GET THAT RUBBBBING SOUND TOOO.....like near or under my steering wheel i check and it not my control arm.....what can it be???? its bugggin the helll outta me...its also getting worst...do u think its our shocks dying because my car is dropped is yours?

No, my car is not lowered. The sound I hear also seems to come from near the steering rack, but the dealer didn't find anything wrong with it:(

EKON

ADAMnQuickCIVIC
10-27-2003, 10:21 AM
Mine makes a creaking noise, like a rubber-ish sound.
When I turn the wheel either direction.
Doesnt matter if i'm sitting still or moving.
Starting to get annoying.
Can't figure it out myself, time for a trip to the dealer. :(

Vivid-Cruz
10-27-2003, 03:13 PM
my vin number falls in between those numbers.. should i take my car in now .. or do i have to wait for symptoms before they will re torque it?